D&D 5E D&D Beyond Player Tools app is now live!

The free D&D Beyond Player Tools App is now available on the Apple App Store and Google Play! Access all of your characters online or offline! Track conditions, hit points, spell slots, and more! Check out all the details and download now: The Official D&D Beyond Player App for iOS and Android | D&D Beyond

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I do recall the character sheet needed improvement back in the day, definitely improved a lot now. If I'm recalling correctly, I tried out DnDBeyond when it first released and then left it until they improved the sheet. Once that happened I was back on it.
They still need a better pdf export sheet, but otherwise ddb is absolutely miles better as a character builder and sheet than anything else I’ve seen

Back when it first launched, D&D Beyond's UI was hot garbage (IMO) but when they did the massive character sheet revamp they did a year or two back, it got WAY better and more friendly. I know there was a big schism in the community when it happened but man, those old collapsing boxes that made it look like a badly designed webpage were just... ugh.

Maybe they haven't tried it since the early days? That's all I can hope because it's definitely way better now and (again, IMO) easier to deal with than R20's current sheet.

Yeah it's very hard to understand how someone could be saying Beyond has a terrible UI today, especially compared to Roll20. I used both obviously like a lot of people here, but Beyond has a really solid UI now. Perfect? No. But good and improving still.

Works great...OH, Discord for voice...

We used to use Discord, but we've found Discord to be unreliable, like we had a couple of people losing sound/speech, or Discord just not working with certain devices, so we've switched to Meet and Zoom. I personally vastly prefer Meet because it has better sound quality and seems to be more reliable, but both work.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
We used to use Discord, but we've found Discord to be unreliable, like we had a couple of people losing sound/speech, or Discord just not working with certain devices, so we've switched to Meet and Zoom. I personally vastly prefer Meet because it has better sound quality and seems to be more reliable, but both work.
I have heard of people having the problems with Discord you mention, but they havent seemed to happen to us yet. I will keep your solutions in mind in case.

I do recall the character sheet needed improvement back in the day, definitely improved a lot now. If I'm recalling correctly, I tried out DnDBeyond when it first released and then left it until they improved the sheet. Once that happened I was back on it.

Basically the same here. I thought it had potential but I COULD NOT get past that first implementation of the character sheet layout. After the redesign, I was happily back in with both feet.

This is how we do it.

Roll20 is map and tokens, DnD Beyond is everything else.

This is what my campaign has been doing for long distance games but I recently looked into Foundry and... yeah I'm about to toss Roll20 soon because while it requires a lot more work in setup, Foundry has WAY more functionality and extensibility for just a one time fee.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
This is how we do it.

Roll20 is map and tokens, DnD Beyond is everything else.

We have had to switch to FB messenger’s video chat a few times due to discord dropping audio and lagging on lower powered machines.

but yeah swap Roll20 with Astral Tabletop and we do the same thin.

Remove ads

Remove ads