D&D 5E D&D Beyond Player Tools app is now live!

The free D&D Beyond Player Tools App is now available on the Apple App Store and Google Play! Access all of your characters online or offline! Track conditions, hit points, spell slots, and more! Check out all the details and download now: The Official D&D Beyond Player App for iOS and Android | D&D Beyond

Retreater

Legend
Oh I promise Twitch validation is a thing. I was just trying to sign on to the app right now to demonstrate my issues. I had been automatically signed out because my session had expired (because I apparently had the audacity to not play D&D with it in two weeks).
So I have an email to sign on with, a Twitch handle, and a DND beyond username I have to remember, with at least two passwords, which have to be entered every time I sign in to the service.
And it's connected to my Nintendo account. So if I forget my password and have to reset it, I have to update other devices too. It's a major hassle for something that adds no real benefit to me.
I have to do more to authorize this DND app than I do Amazon. It's ridiculous.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

I mean, I understand that you don't want to use it, and that's fine.

But, this "I never use this thing, so it logged me out," as a critique is kind of a stretch. That behavior is the most common security features around. Complaining that, "OMG, I have to log-in to my online application!!1!!1I!" Seems pretty weak.

mrm1138

Explorer
Roll20 is still not great IMHO. I've kind of beaten it into submission, but mostly I get by with beyond20 and ignoring much of the functionality.

"Beat[ing] it into submission" is kind of the best way I can think of to describe making Roll20 as functional as I'd like it to be. Some of my players have figured out how to write complicated macros that accomplish various actions, but that remains a mystery to me. I really wish Roll20 had the functionality of the Android app Squire 5E Pro. When we were still doing in-person games, I was able to use that app to run everything fairly seamlessly, and it didn't require any macros. To be fair, Squire 5E Pro was built from the ground up to run D&D exclusively, while Roll20 is intended to work with many different games, but D&D makes up so much of its user base that you'd think Roll20 would program more of those options.

In case anyone is wondering what I'm particular I'd like Roll20 to be able to do, here are a couple examples. Please let me know if there actually is a way to accomplish this that I just don't know about.

1) Have creatures be able to target other specific creatures so it will automatically figure out if the attack hits and affect HP accordingly.

2) Easily be able to add multiples of one particular kind of monster without having to enter in their HP manually.

3) When making a spellcasting NPC, be able to select spells from a menu instead of having to enter them manually every damn time.

There are more things, but those are the first few that come to mind.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I have been using DnD beyond web version character sheet of my cellphone for the past 2 years for when I get to play (usually not at my house). I worked great and its super intuitive, will have to look the app version soon. I never bought anything on DDB, I only implement my subclass myself by creating it in homebrew without sharing it, its not that long, maybe 15-20 minutes to implement all features from a subclass in the character builder.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
DNDBeyond is a great tool, and I'm excited for the app. Alas, the app won't work with Beyond20 ..... so that's a bummer for games where we use Roll20.

Buying stuff there means I can use it for physical games, roll20 and FoundryVTT right now. I mean, it's a great tool, that keeps getting better. They are clearly releasing things as they can build them, which makes way more sense than waiting for every piece of functionality to be there. Way more sense.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
I use the DDB site a lot, both on a desktop/laptop and on my phone, I use the DDB Compendium app sometimes, we use Beyond20 in our Roll20 game, and I have no problems with any of it, really. This new app look like it will (once it's fully up and running) be yet another very handy thing from DDB. I'm happy!

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Oh I promise Twitch validation is a thing. I was just trying to sign on to the app right now to demonstrate my issues. I had been automatically signed out because my session had expired (because I apparently had the audacity to not play D&D with it in two weeks).
So I have an email to sign on with, a Twitch handle, and a DND beyond username I have to remember, with at least two passwords, which have to be entered every time I sign in to the service.
And it's connected to my Nintendo account. So if I forget my password and have to reset it, I have to update other devices too. It's a major hassle for something that adds no real benefit to me.
You shouldn't need twitch, I think originally you did because they were the owners and used a twitch account as the authentication service. My twitch account is still linked but I haven't used it to log in in ages, instead I log in with my linked google account. If you've linked a google account, you could probably unlink the twitch one. I don't even know how you would link your nintendo account to it.

You shouldn't need twitch, I think originally you did because they were the owners and used a twitch account as the authentication service. My twitch account is still linked but I haven't used it to log in in ages, instead I log in with my linked google account. If you've linked a google account, you could probably unlink the twitch one. I don't even know how you would link your nintendo account to it.

Yep they have multiple log-in options available now. And honestly, even if they didn't, logging in with the old way only required knowing your Twitch login, not three different ones like he said. I have no idea what happened in that case but... ???

Remove ads

Remove ads