D&D 5E D&D Beyond Player Tools app is now live!

The free D&D Beyond Player Tools App is now available on the Apple App Store and Google Play! Access all of your characters online or offline! Track conditions, hit points, spell slots, and more! Check out all the details and download now: The Official D&D Beyond Player App for iOS and Android | D&D Beyond

3 of the 5 people in our group are using Dndbeyond for out character sheet on iPads now. We haven’t had any issues creating our characters as it’s pretty simple, both the web based and app based versions. Having the spell info and other isuch thing a tap away is a win for me but made those gale force nine spell cards I purchased a couple years ago obsolete.

I was happy using DDB before, but once I started playing a wizard, just being able better organize my spells and being able to tap on a spell and instantly get info was a real game-changer.

Even when playing theater of the mind (which I've done for years in previous editions), I find I want the occasional sketch of a complex environment, handouts of NPC portraits or mood-setting scenes (or of complicated potential trap areas like what was provided in the modules of yore). Then you might want dice rolling - to see the results of an important roll, just to feel like you're at the table. Or you might need to access various character sheets (including monster stats) all at once in various windows. To my knowledge, DNDB doesn't do any of this. It can supplement other things by providing basically a glorified form-fillable PDF character sheet, but not much more. I don't understand why wanting a one-stop solution to all of this is a bad thing. I would expect even most of you DNDB supporters would recognize needing these features at your table.
Concerning making characters, here are a few issues. Limited number of slots. Having to add a character to a campaign before you can test builds with purchased content. Pressing the back arrow takes you out of the character builder entirely. Having to sign in with two accounts (DNDB and Twitch). Additionally, my characters have come out wrong from time-to-time.
But mostly it's that I don't want to pay for a third time to get something that Roll20 already does, when DNDB doesn't offer the functions I listed above.

You can definitely have multiple windows open at once for character sheets and monsters (and one for the adventure you're running if it's a published one).

Dice rolling is now in open beta, and is pretty much fully functional, so it's probably going to be out of beta very soon. Just click on anything that you would roll dice for (a save, a check, to hit, damage, or whatever else) and it rolls the dice on the screen, adds them up, applies modifiers, and gives you to total. If you have advantage or disadvantage, you right click and it takes that into the account in the roll. You can even choose different colored dice, and can purchase special dice sets if you so wish.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
I've been running a 5E game over at Roll20 for 3+ months now, and D&D Beyond has become even more useful than before: I can have every players full character sheet open in its own tab, a tab on the home page for doing searches, and a tab for their encounter builder, to run encounters I've prepared there. Honestly, I'm not sure how I'm going to run a game face-to-face again without investing in a laptop. :) :(

Koren n'Rhys

Explorer
I've been playing online (two 5E groups) since March and DDB + Beyond20 has been a godsend for all of us. I do pity my DMs who need to fight with Roll20 for the maps and tokens, but it's been manageable once they stopped trying to use most of the "features". I made the mistake of trying to recreate my character in Roll20 via the Charactermancer thing. It was semi-operable for the week I used it, then I mercifully found Beyond20. Apparently YMMV?

I get that some people DO use Roll20 and have learned how to make it work - great for them! But for many people I know and interact with online, Beyond is much, much more intuitive, feature filled and easy to use. I'm all in on DDB and haven't bought a physical book in a couple of years now. The ease of access, cross-linking and searchability is fantastic, and I always have access to every single book from anywhere via PC, phone or tablet.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Been a while since I've exported to PDF, I think I ended up having to edit/add some of the information because it was headings only for abilities but otherwise, if just creating a quick PC, particularly one of a medium/high level, its pretty good to quickly get most of the info in there.
I find it adequate for non-casters, but terrible for spellcasters.
But my few real casters I just keep a more purple more better spell sheet for my spells, or plug my phone in and use the browser sheet with my phone set to never lock.

Maybe retreater is using the exported sheet, now that I think of it. Some complaints make no sense otherwise.
Oh I promise Twitch validation is a thing. I was just trying to sign on to the app right now to demonstrate my issues. I had been automatically signed out because my session had expired (because I apparently had the audacity to not play D&D with it in two weeks).
So I have an email to sign on with, a Twitch handle, and a DND beyond username I have to remember, with at least two passwords, which have to be entered every time I sign in to the service.
And it's connected to my Nintendo account. So if I forget my password and have to reset it, I have to update other devices too. It's a major hassle for something that adds no real benefit to me.
I have to do more to authorize this DND app than I do Amazon. It's ridiculous.
Soemthing has gone wrong, and you’re somehow experience things that I’ve never even heard of. I can assure you that none of this is normal.
Yep they have multiple log-in options available now. And honestly, even if they didn't, logging in with the old way only required knowing your Twitch login, not three different ones like he said. I have no idea what happened in that case but... ???
Yeah I can’t even think of what possible second password they might be needing? I haven’t switched over to google based authentification, but I just sign in with my twitch credentials. That’s it. 🤷‍♂️

Remove ads

Remove ads