D&D 5E D&D Beyond Support Included In ‘Monsters Of Drakkenheim’ Kickstarter

The first time a Kickstarter has promised DDB support!

Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 12.55.21.png

WotC has been including select third party products on D&D Beyond for some months now, including product from Ghostfire Gaming, Kobold Press, Critical Role, and others.

Monsters of Drakkenheim from the Dungeon Dudes (who are associated with Ghostfire Gaming)--who already have two million dollar Kickstarters to their name, with this one looking likely also--promises D&D Beyond support in advance. It's a 300 page monster book for their highly successful setting. There's also the usual selection of dice, minis, pins, bookmarks, dice bags, plushies, and so on.

150+ New 5e monsters inspired by Eldritch Horrors. Harvest felled foes to craft loot. Engage epic bosses. Explore forbidden lairs.

This is the first time a Kickstarter has included DDB support--you can't have a Kickstarter-funded project on DM's Guild--and it makes it clear that WotC is actively forming long-term partnerships with some publishers to expand the offerings available on their platform. To get the D&D Beyond version, you can add on a $35 VTT license (there are also Roll20 and Foundry options).

Reynard

Legend
I can't remember where it was discussed, but it was implied pretty strongly, that the 3PPs would be given the ability to add stuff themselves with these - which would make sense - users can - and we know from various D&D Beyond staff comments that the staff who add content essentially just have a more powerful version of the same tools users can access, and having to wait on the development team to add certain features (some of which remain, to the best of my knowledge, not added). My guess here is that if a 3PP has unique mechanics they actually want to function, rather than merely to be listed, and would require new functionality to be added to Beyond, they'll probably have to make a feature request and get in line, as it were (or pay for time/priority, but that tends to be hideously expensive, at least my industry and many companies just won't do it even if you offer them $$$). I presume WotC/Beyond would have a staff member check over all the additions before they go live of course, to ensure conformation to any content or functionality rules WotC/Beyond have.
I don't use Beyond so I have no idea how automated it is compared to, say, using the Fantasy Grounds 5E system. With Fantasy grounds, you almost invariably need to go to other sources (Grim Press, Rob Twohy) to get fully realized automation.

Dire Bare

Legend
It’s one way to get a PDF and DnDBeyond access at the same time!
For $65, yes. PDF Digital Tier is $30, VTT add-on is $35.

I wouldn't mind having both formats, but not at that price. If I end up purchasing Monsters of Drakkenheim, I'll likely wait for it to be available on D&D Beyond and purchase it solely there, sans PDF.

Dire Bare

Legend
Interesting. WotC appears to be going full Steam for D&D. I wonder if that ultimately bodes well for the industry.

Also: oh, look, yet another monster book for of "eldritch horrors." Can we get something fresh, please?
Heh, "eldritch horror" is a well that never runs dry.

I encourage you to click the link and view the Kickstarter page. Lots of art and miniature images, gives a good feel for the Dungeon Dudes vibe. Some of the beasties pictured are . . . disturbing.

The interesting part to me is that they will have new conditions and monsters that scale with the number of players (number of attacks, HP, maybe more) which sounds like they would need to add support for this to DDB in some form, which then would make these available beyond this monster book (I hope)
Maybe it is just the book? My DM buys most of his books on Beyond, but only has a free subscription and doesn’t really use anyrhing else it offers. Such people don’t need any rules integration

I don't use Beyond so I have no idea how automated it is compared to, say, using the Fantasy Grounds 5E system. With Fantasy grounds, you almost invariably need to go to other sources (Grim Press, Rob Twohy) to get fully realized automation.
Like, I'm a lazy moron if I say so myself, when I've left work anyway, when it comes to tools for building things, but I've built entire fully-functional subclasses, magic items that do stuff, races that work and so on using the tools D&D Beyond offers. All ones that fit "within the lines" for sure, but they worked - sometimes I had to tweak them a bit or find one someone had done and take it apart, then either copy or rip off what they did, but I was genuinely surprised how well it worked.

Remove ads

Remove ads