D&D General D&D books and why we love them

CrashFiend82

Explorer
I have read a few posts about PDFs for D&D and WOTC's choice to stick with printed books. I was under the impression that younger generations preferred digital books (e-books or PDFs) over physical copies, however I recently stumbled on this article... granted it is old, roughly 3 years, but it was interesting and thought I would share. Millennials: A Generation Of Page-Turners. For those not interested in reading the article, a few highlights, Millennials read more than older generations do—and more than the last generation did at the same age. When asked why they read books or any written content in general (such as magazines or blogs), Millennials are far more likely than older adults to say it’s for a specific purpose, such as work, school, or research. But they’re also equally likely to read “for pleasure” or “to keep up with current events.” Readers today have more ways than ever to access the written word. But the tried and true endures: Print books remain by far the most popular format among all age groups. Last year, 72% of Americans read a print book, dwarfing the share who read an e-book (35%) or listened to an audiobook (16%).

My point isn't that we shouldn't have PDFs, I personally would find them easier at times. I also enjoy opening a physical copy of my book at the table, because like others have shared I enjoy the disconnect from tech that D&D offers. I have used D&D Beyond to help look up information while I homebrew monsters, I use almost 80% of my own, because its part of what I enjoy as a DM. I simply am posting because I found the information interesting and partly relevant and it helped illuminate why WOTC may see a value to physical books versus PDFs. It may also have to do with human's emotional connection to physical items that they want to appeal too. Emotional Objects and Why We Love Them. It is likely why so many gronards saved all those old 1st edition books in their attics for so many years. God bless them for keeping those old treasures for us younger folks.

That all being said I am curious what is your favorite D&D book, whether you still own it or not? And as a follow up what 5e book (if you play it) have you enjoyed the most?

Mine favorite non-core book this edition has been Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica. I loved the monsters and used them as inspiration to create a great number of new one. Secondly, I love it as a setting guide, it covers what I need (the guilds) and provides information on the city without getting into tedious details. I also loved the short plot ideas and maps because they helped me build more indepth adventures for our current campaign.

Remove ads