D&D 5E D&D Celebration Schedule Announced

WotC has posted the schedule for it's D&D Celebration online event taking place from 18th-20th September.

ddc.png

The event includes a range of panels and live games, including sessions on Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden and Tasha’s Cauldron of Everything, mental health, inclusive dungeon design, and including asian stories in your games. These include people such as Daniel Kwan (Asians Represent) and Sara Thompson (The Combat Wheelchair), who have both spoken publicly about problematic issues in D&D.

The cultures in Kara-Tur are pretty stereotyped, cliched and so forth, but D&D's treatments of medieval European tropes are just as bad. I have never seen any really faithful translations, especially with D&D's frankly ridiculous depiction of religion. I mean look at Cormyr. That's not a kingdom. That's a renfaire come to life.

marv

Explorer
The cultures in Kara-Tur are pretty stereotyped, cliched and so forth, but D&D's treatments of medieval European tropes are just as bad. I have never seen any really faithful translations, especially with D&D's frankly ridiculous depiction of religion. I mean look at Cormyr. That's not a kingdom. That's a renfaire come to life.
Exactly. This is a fantasy game. Not an historical simulation.

Back on the subject of D&D Celebration, I got into the Epic - albeit at the 9pm Eastern slot. Earlier slots filled up quickly. Not what I was hoping for, but so be it. I just hope I don't have to work that night.

Likewise, Zeb Cook comes off more as a Japanophile fanboy than anything else and had good intentions. Good intentions, of course, don't always result in good results (as is imminently evident in OA), though, and we should give bad results a pass just because the intentions were good (though we shouldn't be too unkind to the authors that had good intentions). I'm sure, if they could redo things in a more modern take, they would be better informed and do better (heck, Zeb even completely rewrote the Wu Jen class in Dragon magazine during 2e's run—I forget which issue, though).

Zeb Cook occasionally does work for Kobold Press these days, and Kobold is apparently releasing a sourcebook covering the Asian-analogue regions of their Midgard campaign setting quite soon. He's not listed as one of the primary contributors, but it's not impossible he's had some involvement.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Zeb Cook occasionally does work for Kobold Press these days, and Kobold is apparently releasing a sourcebook covering the Asian-analogue regions of their Midgard campaign setting quite soon. He's not listed as one of the primary contributors, but it's not impossible he's had some involvement.

I really would love to know what he thinks about the controversy about his old work.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Oh darn this is Sept 18-20. I am on the road for those days, in Wyoming. Literally my only trip this entire year.

I hope this will remain available later?

Racism is wrong, but sometimes somes offenses are caused unoticely without bad intentions. Usually some apologies are enough in these cases.

And if we have to show faithfully the Asian cultures then we should talk about the tsujigiri by samurais or when the first Chinese emperor, Qin Shi Huangdi, wanted to destroy older books to erasure totally the past and to create a new age. I think Wester players can allow themself the same tropes we can see in the own Asian anime or donghua.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases