• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Movie/TV D&D Cinematic Universe. What would it be like? What do you want to see?

The creators of the D&D movie (Directors?) said that this movie was the beginning. We also know about TV shows being worked on. Maybe with tie ins to each other and the Movie.

What could a cinematic universe of D&D look like? Will it be character focused like Marvel and DC or more like lots of stories based in it's world (words?).

I wonder if they'll try and track the Multiverse idea that D&D the game is going with now. Was it mistake to use the term Multiverse seeing that it's associated so much with Marvel now?
I would love to see multi adventureing groups in the same world... with some 'npc' support actors being the tie that binds them. Could they do a big 'avengers style' team up sure... but I think I would rather if multi groups 'took off' they run 2 movies the same year that had the two interacting more in the background... something like "OMG Orcus is invading and 1 group is in waterdeep stopping part of it and the other is in Icewinddale stopping part of it"

OB1

Jedi Master
The difficult part of D&D creating an MCU like 'universe' lies in not having the huge bank of pre-tested characters that the MCU has to draw on, and characters are what makes movies.

That said, they absolutely have the opportunity to use the various settings to explore a wealth of genres (was it Perkins who mentioned way back in '15 or so that was what they wanted for the settings themselves in 5e anyhow) so as long as they can keep coming up with solid characters to populate those films they could be all right.

The advantage they have (IMO) is that they don't have to tightly tie the stories together, but still have a chance for a Tier IV crossover event to save the 'fundamental order of the multiverse' with heroes from different settings/movies coming together, but that still requires the audience falling in love with those characters in the first place.

darjr

I crit!
I think characters like Themberchard are inspired. Maybe the bad guys and adventure locations are D&Ds “characters” for a DCU.

aco175

Legend
I'm in the camp of waiting until we see how this new movie does. While it would be good to have it be a success and spin a lot of other things, history tells us to not expect much.

Traditional movie series leave a cliffhanger to set up a 2nd movie in a trilogy, so there is that. Then a origin movie of a main character or two, taking a few years to spit out. At the same time making another movie trying to catch fire again while setting up a tie between the new movie and the original. A tie-in movie, a split-off movie.

MCU works so well at first since everyone already knows from comics who Thor and Iron Man were. Half the character development was there. The other half may have been picking Robert Downey Jr for the initial movie and his charisma taking over.

Stormonu

Legend
I’m in agreement with “make a good movie first”, then worry about expanding. DC’s and the Monsterverse problems were trying to force it before they got viewer buy-in.

Though I’d like to see an extended series covering Dragonlance, but I fear we’d get the story/acting quality of the animated version, if not effects.

darjr

I crit!
I’m in agreement with “make a good movie first”, then worry about expanding. DC’s and the Monsterverse problems were trying to force it before they got viewer buy-in.

Though I’d like to see an extended series covering Dragonlance, but I fear we’d get the story/acting quality of the animated version, if not effects.
If you listen to the Dragonlance movie I’ve heard that it fares much better.

I haven’t the heart to try even that.

Remove ads