• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E D&D Encounters - Scourge of the Sword Coast play report (spoilers) - Complete!

Rhenny

Adventurer
MerricB and MortalPlague, these are great reports. I'm excited to see the quality of these adventures continue to improve.

I love how D&DNext is making it much easier to include exploration, interaction and combat in all sessions (even short ones).

My players are really thinking more in character than usual too.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers.

Lord Vangarel

First Post
Great reports! I was thinking of getting this adventure to introduce my group to 5E and these reports may just be tipping the balance towards that.

dd.stevenson

Super KY
A large part of it is just Life - we've had a few people who really would like to come every week, but other things have been getting in the way.

We've had a few people trying D&D Encounters for the first time as well, and - as I'm sure you know - the program isn't for everyone.

Then you have people who are naturally unreliable. Ooh, look! Shiny!

We ran three tables, 1 DM and 5 players on each for the Launch Event. So: 3 DMs, 15 players, including 3 players who were relatively new.
The next session we had 3 DMs and 10 players: 8 returning, 2 new.
This week we had 3 DMs and 11 players. 9 returning, 2 new.

My own table had Glen in one of the three weeks - he's a priest, and his weekends can be busy. Kalum's a young kid, he was there for two weeks and not this week (he was a regular last season); not sure where he was. Harry is a Year 12 student at my school - he has sporting obligations at times. All three of them were missing this week, and I ended up with a table of four because Josh and Danielle wanted to give the game a try. (I think they enjoyed it, but we'll see if they return).

It's hard to say how many don't come back because they don't like the people, the system, the adventure, the DMing... so many things can go wrong.

Cheers!
Gotcha. Thanks for the details.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
DnDScourge.jpgOur last session had seen four players clearing up the rest of the goblins in Julkoun. This session saw the roster change again – we were joined by two new players, Sondra and Lily. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to walk them through character creation, so we used a couple of pre-generated characters for them; an Elf Ranger for Sondra and an Elf Wizard for Lily. Lily had played 3E before, whilst Sondra was playing her first game of D&D.

Also at the table were Tim and his paladin, Tait and his rogue, Harry and his rogue, and Josh and his half-orc wizard. The other two tables were at three and four players; I might have put Lily at one of their tables but they’d already started when she arrived, and it’s also true that I really enjoy playing with new players to the group. Next week, if everyone joins us, there will be some reassignment around the tables.

The group had learnt from the dryad that the goblins had taken the villagers of Julkoun to the north, but there was a lot of unknown territory up there and they didn’t know exactly where to go (having slain the goblins without talking to them…) Sondra attempted to track their path, but, by now, it had been over a week since they’d been taken, and she soon lost the path. Unwilling to just wander in the wilderness waiting for something to come up, the group chose to return to Daggerford by the land route, taking in the elven mansion of the Floshin Estate on the way.

They were not particularly surprised to discover there was trouble on the estate – a pair of gnolls and their hyenas attacked as they approached. Tim took a few good hits before the gnolls were defeated, the last gnoll attempting to flee to a small depression known as the Swan’s Nest which lay near the stream that flowed through the estate. The group proceeded in that direction, searching for more gnolls. The depression was beautiful, an elven garden containing some statues and a small stone building, as well as a pond and lovely flowers. Cautious, the group noticed a thin plume of smoke rising from the chimney of the building, and descended the path to investigate, crossing a couple of bridges over streams and a waterfall to get there.

Inside the building, a lone gnoll saw the group and ran into its underground chambers to alert its companions.

Lily was quite taken by the pool, which had a statue of a pair of swans in its centre. She noticed that the pool had fish swimming around it, but every so often one would disappear. She settled down to investigate that as the others converged on the building. Harry thought about climbing down the chimney, but upon finding the door was unlocked, abandoned this plan. The group were all surprised to find the building was empty and its fire was unlit; it seemed to just be a gardener’s shed. Where was the smoke coming from? Further investigation revealed that there was a double-chimney… the smoke was coming from further underground! With that knowledge, it didn’t take them long to find the hidden trapdoor and Tim bravely climbed down it. He was met by three gnolls, all firing longbows. He charged them, despite taking several arrows in the process, only to have them disengage and send their hyenas into melee with him while they continued to shoot him. The ladder down and cramped tunnel was making it hard for the other players to reach him!

Lily determined that there had to be an underground stream that the fish were swimming into and, upon hearing the sound of battle, proceeded with Josh into the hut. The other characters had climbed down into the tunnel and were shooting at the hyenas. Tim needed to use his healing abilities to keep going, but the gnolls and hyenas were eventually slain. A small amount of treasure was taken off them, and the room below was all there was: the gnolls had been using it as a base, but no more were present. Tim was still quite damaged and began to take a “short” rest (1 hour in length), whilst the others returned to the surface and continued to investigate.

Harry and Tait dived into the pool to find Lily’s underground stream, and did so, but it wasn’t big enough for anyone to fit through. Tait suggested that he might try to squeeze through headfirst, and I thought it an excellent way of killing his character; alas, the others talked him out of it. The path into the nest led further to a marble archway set into a cliff, its door broken and shattered, and that was where they next investigated, Lily and Tait leading the way. It proved to be a crypt, with a beautiful temple to the tripartite Elven Goddess providing access to the burial chambers. The actual burial chambers, it was found, held a wraith, a twisted elven spirit. Tait ended up in melee with it as Lily and Josh cast spells at it, and was fortunate enough that it was not able to strike him and drain his life before it was banished. Lily prayed at the statue of the goddess, and felt approval – and regained one of her spell slots.

Returning to the surface, the group rested for a while before making their way to the main house. It was a two-level building, with its upper level also being on a high cliff this side of the river, so they’d actually enter the upper level first. However, it also had a strongly defended gatehouse, with gnoll archers behind arrow slits firing at the group as they approached. Tait and Sondra took cover and returned fire, as Lily and Josh ran back to the trees. Tim and Harry rushed forward to the house, and entered the entryway. There they were faced with a portcullis, but Tim was strong enough to lift it and let Harry through. Harry, attempting to enter the side chambers and take the gnolls from behind found his way blocked by the living corpse of an elf! It engaged him as another one came from other side and moved towards Tim. Tim dropped the portcullis, trapping himself and Harry within, and moved to engage it.

Meanwhile, Tait was making some amazing shots to take out the gnolls. With them dealt with, the other four raced into the building to discover the battle within. Harry disengaged and retreated to the portcullis, allowing Lily to cast a Thunderwave spell, knocking back the undead, and giving everyone enough time to take them down. Lily was horrified at the thought that the elves in the crypt had been raised and corrupted – although somewhat heartened by there being only one more elf that could have been corrupted. There had only been four crypts, right?

At this point, we’d run out of time, so we left the exploration of the mansion to next week; it should give us quite a bit of exploration, some combat, and possibly even some role-playing!

MortalPlague

Adventurer
Great report, Merric! I'll be eagerly tuning in next week to see how the exploration went. Floshin Manor was the other location my group playtested, so I'd love to compare notes once you're finished.

Very nice details on the Swan's Nest, by the way. The double chimney was a very clever clue, and the disappearing fish is a great hint for a secret passage.

:)

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
DnDScourge.jpgNo new players turned up to this session of Scourge of the Sword Coast, but we had a number of returning players who had missed a session or two, and a few regular players who couldn’t make it. All of which conspired to allow us three tables, one with three players, one with four players, and one with five players – with a DM at each table as well. I had the table with five players, with most of them (save Tait) relatively inexperienced players or new to Encounters. This meant that I had on my table Danielle, Josh, Lily, Sondra and Tait.

As I described in my last report, the group have reached an elven estate that has been overrun by gnolls and a few undead. The group entered the manor this session, and I took the opportunity to play it a lot more like a horror game than most of my D&D games. It helped greatly that the players were relatively new, and with the undead often being a real challenge for them, their sense of unease grew as the session continued.

The group had retreated to rest, so more gnolls had replaced those in guard in the gateway; however, the dread warriors had not been replaced. Tait and Danielle are playing Rogues, and so were able to sneak up to the gnolls and kill them… well, at least Danielle was able to. Sondra, playing a ranger, gave herself away and retreated, whilst Tait’s attack went wild. Lily and Josh, both playing Mages, stood back and cast spells – mostly ineffectively. Lily also created the illusion of a cat to distract the gnoll, but because the other players weren’t listening when she did it, they spent quite some time wondering where the cat had come from, Josh and Tait even chasing it after the gnolls were slain. Lily was greatly amused by this, as was I. Danielle was the one to finally distract the last gnoll by surprising it from behind; this allowed Tait to finish it off.

Now that they’d entered the manor again – and in relatively good shape – exploration was in order. In theory, this adventure is designed so you can finish each section of the adventure in two Encounters session, each of around 90-120 minutes. At least, I think this is the plan. It worked for Julkoun, but we seem to be taking a lot longer with this section, partly because it’s so rich in detail. There are 14 areas on the first level alone, and they are taking us quite a bit of time to explore!

Entering the main part of the house brought them to a great staircase spiralling down to the lower levels of the manor. Above them, a great dome of crystal and copper let the sunlight through, illuminating several great decorative vines that draped the walls up to the base of the dome. Two passages led off this section, both ending at doors. Tait and Danielle listened intently at the doors, and realised that monsters lay behind one. Tait let himself in sneakily, and discovered two sleeping (and snoring) gnolls. Tait moved to kill them in their sleep, but woke one as he put his hand over its muzzle. The other gnoll woke as the first was killed, but could only strike Tait once before it was dealt with. Tait bandaged the wound clumsily; without Tim’s paladin (who was helping the numbers at another table), the group had no healing ability at all. In fact, apart from a couple of paladins, there isn’t much healing in any group at our store!

A door from the gnolls’ chamber led to a corridor lined with many portraits of the elves who once lived in the manor; the group noted that some were missing, and another askew and broken. Tait, curious as to what was behind one of the doors in the corridor, opened it, to reveal a dead human woman in good clothing, who had been reanimated as a zombie! The group fell back as more zombies burst from other chambers, these ones dressed in the garb of servants. It was now terribly obvious that more than gnolls had invaded the manor, and the combat – without the group having a good defensive fighter – was tough. Afterwards, Lily examined the corpses, looking for clues to how the servants had died. She found small puncture marks on their necks which were discoloured, suggesting poison.

Things got then worse as they discovered three shadows lurking around a turn in the corridor. Now the shadows flowed towards the group, and all of the party ran back towards safety… except for Josh, who rolled exceptionally badly for initiative. He was felled by the shadows and lay there bleeding to death as the others split up – Tait and Lily hiding in one of the servant’s quarters and Danielle and Sondra fighting a desperate action in the study. Danielle set a chair on fire, and used it to form a barricade; the shadows proved wary of the light and heat and stayed back… a bit. Sondra shot arrows at the shadows, but the damage they were doing was poor. Lily bravely emerged from her hiding place and started casting spells on the shadows, slaying one. Danielle started pushing the burning chair towards the shadows, burning herself in the process, but she was able to force them back a bit, enough for Tait, Sondra and Lily to finally finish them off, though Lily was gravely wounded.

Just as Tait ran up to Josh, he drew his last breath and died – three failed death saving throws. The group continued on, saddened. Josh began to make plans for a new character – the brother of his first – but we were reaching the end of the session, so I chose not to break here to create and then introduce a new PC.

Sondra and Danielle found diversion when they found a closet filled with fine elven clothing, and began trying it on. Tait, meanwhile, went out onto a balcony where he found a strange bronze statue, looking vaguely human, but just a bit wrong. Moving up to it, he placed his hand on it, and was badly burnt – it was hot! Before his eyes, it changed shape into a bonfire and attacked. Sondra and Danielle were not pleased to be pulled away from their explorations, but they came to save Tait from being burned to death. Once again, it was a hard combat, with Tait only just surviving.

At this point, with Lily and Tait badly wounded and the group low on spells, they barricaded one of the rooms and settled down for the night… hoping the next day would prove less stressful than the last!

Rhenny

Adventurer
Thanks again for the super report, Merric. It is amazing how the other PCs left Josh's PC to die. You must have scared them something fierce. lol.

Cheers.

machineelf

Explorer
Are you going to let them sleep for the night? Seems like in a home, even a big home, some creatures will know a fight took place and will come across a barricaded door. :)

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Thanks again for the super report, Merric. It is amazing how the other PCs left Josh's PC to die. You must have scared them something fierce. lol.

Cheers.

Actually, they didn't have (much of) a choice. I described the shadows coming towards them, they rolled for initiative. Josh was the only one to act after the shadows, and the rest had retreated by then. He went down, the shadows moved past him, and they couldn't get back to him until after they defeated the shadows.

Cheers!

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Are you going to let them sleep for the night? Seems like in a home, even a big home, some creatures will know a fight took place and will come across a barricaded door. :)

If I was running it in a home campaign, I'd be harder on them, but given the time constraints I'll likely let them rest. :)

Cheers!

Remove ads