• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Freelance Contracts: Non-Compete Clauses

Vanuslux

Explorer
So, without going into detail on my own working relationship or contracts with WotC--because even if it weren't grotesquely inappropriate, it's nobody's damn business--I will say this:

If WotC were offering such a contract, it would be the exact opposite of making a freelancer's life harder. Given how much better WotC pays than anyone else in the industry, the promise of a reasonable amount of steady work would more than make up for the inability to go to other companies. Heck, I'd kill any one of you for such an opportunity, if I had to. ;)

While the claim is ludicrous anyway, I just want to point out that not all non-compete contracts comes with any kind of promise of work. Just go ask a Suicide Girl.

Lord Xtheth

First Post
I think maybe the "Non-compete" clause might in fact be a "Non disclosure" clause, which makes much more sence. Maybe the writer of the article got confused.

Or maybe, just maybe they're right, but it could be for a certain amount of time Ie. "section x.x, paragraph x, Until the date of x or until your works are published, whichever is sooner, you will not write for any publishing company under your name or any other and are considered an employee of WoTC until that date." or somthing like that.

I know I've signed a similar contract before.

Snoweel

First Post
While the claim is ludicrous anyway, I just want to point out that not all non-compete contracts comes with any kind of promise of work.

That was my first thought. The only non-compete contract that would be worth anything would be an offer of fulltime work.

Just go ask a Suicide Girl.

True story - my flatmate in Stockholm toured with a Suicide Girls stage show. But I never thought to ask her about contracts and whatnot.

Remove ads