• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Freelance Contracts: Non-Compete Clauses

Shroomy

Adventurer
I have no idea whether or not this is true, but it would be nice if the author actually substantiated his claims with, you know examples. I mean this reminds me of the rumors swirling around that Nic Logue wasn't going to be allowed to work on 4e materials because he was a prominent freelancer for Paizo (or was it an employee, I don't know); Nic debunked the rumors himself and he's produced materials for 4e (as well as Greg Vaughan).

Oni

First Post
I am, in general, opposed to anything that might make it harder for a freelancer to make a living.

So, without going into detail on my own working relationship or contracts with WotC--because even if it weren't grotesquely inappropriate, it's nobody's damn business--I will say this:

If WotC were offering such a contract, it would be the exact opposite of making a freelancer's life harder. Given how much better WotC pays than anyone else in the industry, the promise of a reasonable amount of steady work would more than make up for the inability to go to other companies. Heck, I'd kill any one of you for such an opportunity, if I had to. ;)

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
The comments in that thread say WotC is going to be shut down by Hasbro.

Somehow, I think if that were the case that WotC wouldn't be hiring a designer (as they were recenty).

Anyway, I don't think it really matters - Paizo will be fine.

The comments in that thread say WotC is going to be shut down by Hasbro.

Somehow, I think if that were the case that WotC wouldn't be hiring a designer (as they were recenty).

Yeah, I saw that. I think Mr. "I have inside knowledge" almost has to be trolling, because that "news" is far too ludicrous for anyone to realistically believe.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I have no idea whether or not this is true, but it would be nice if the author actually substantiated his claims with, you know examples.

I agree but, let's be realistic. . .

If there's one thing that gaming fans know how to do, it's sling hyperbole and innuendo as if it was substantiated fact. I mean for every hundred or so 'verified' facts distributed by mysterious 'contacts' or unnamed 'sources', maybe one or two of them turn out to have merit.

So, at this point, we're talking about a blog entry written by a fan who is passing off unverified claims that he gleaned from unnamed 'sources' as cold, hard, facts. And more anonymous people have posted unverified claims that WotC is going out of business in response (also gleaned from more shadowy, unnamed, sources).

Frankly, without some proof, this seems like nothing more than another fantasy cobbled together by fans with a grudge to bear.

Shroomy

Adventurer
I agree but, let's be realistic. . .

If there's one thing that gaming fans know how to do, it's sling hyperbole and innuendo as if it was substantiated fact. I mean for every hundred or so 'verified' facts distributed by mysterious 'contacts' or unnamed 'sources', maybe one or two of them turn out to have merit.

So, at this point, we're talking about a blog entry written by a fan who is passing off unverified claims that he gleaned from unnamed 'sources' as cold, hard, facts. And more anonymous people have posted unverified claims that WotC is going out of business in response (also gleaned from more shadowy, unnamed, sources).

Frankly, without some proof, this seems like nothing more than another fantasy cobbled together by fans with a grudge to bear.

I know I was giving too much credence to a blog post, but I wanted to make the point before all the hysteria started.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
Hold on the Hysteria for a moment. . .

I think, even compared to some of the conspiracy ideas posited here on ENWorld (not that I've ever been a part of such a thing:angel:), something about that article just doesn't sound right. If WoTC was doing something so restrictive, and not providing enough work for their new "indentured servants", they would eventually be unable to get any freelancers working for them. If that was true, it seems like a completely self defeating strategy. Not sure I buy it.:erm::confused:

And I too, think the rumors of WoTC impending demise are highly exagerated.

Then again, it is on the internet, so it must be true.;)

Okay, now commence with the Hysteria.;)

Last edited:

Oni

First Post
So, without going into detail on my own working relationship or contracts with WotC--because even if it weren't grotesquely inappropriate, it's nobody's damn business--I will say this:

If WotC were offering such a contract, it would be the exact opposite of making a freelancer's life harder. Given how much better WotC pays than anyone else in the industry, the promise of a reasonable amount of steady work would more than make up for the inability to go to other companies. Heck, I'd kill any one of you for such an opportunity, if I had to. ;)

Just to clarify my own statement. I don't necessarily put any stock in what was said. You've given an important caveat. If it comes with a steady stream of work it's a great thing. The implication I got was some were being asked to enter into such an agreement without any expectation of farther work which I would deem bad. Of course if it's good or bad is something any given freelancer will have to decide for themselves before entering into any kind of agreement.

So I'll say it this way. I prefer that businesses pursue freelance friendly practises, regardless of whether or not the particulars in this case are true or not. :)

Remove ads