• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Game Table not Mac-Compatible at launch

Delta

First Post
Mistwell said:
Do I have a source for the claim that most newer Macs can switch to a Windows XP operating system?

Are you serious? Come on man, this isn't a rules discussion. Put away the disputing tactics. You know modern Macs can switch OS. It's in this thread, from many Mac users themselves.

I think that you are misinterpreting information posted in this thread. Here's what I see on the Apple site ( http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/ ):

In the next major release of Mac OS X Leopard, Apple will include a new technology called Boot Camp that lets you install and run Windows on your Mac. If you have an Intel-based Mac computer and would like to try Boot Camp, you can download the public beta today.

As elegant as it gets
Boot Camp lets you install Windows without moving your Mac data, though you will need to bring your own copy to the table, as Apple does not sell or support Microsoft Windows.(1) Boot Camp will burn a CD with all the required drivers for Windows so you don't have to scrounge around the Internet looking for them.

So, according to this:
- Boot Camp is a feature for yet-to-be-released Macs.
- It's currently in Beta testing.
- When Boot Camp is released, you will still need to go out and buy a copy of Windows if you actually want to use it.

I do not think that most Macs of any model type are currently set up to switch to a Windows XP operating system. Feel free to point out differing information if you see specifics in this thread or elsewhere.

Last edited:

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Eric Anondson said:
They did cross-platform years ago, back in the Diablo days, long before they hit it this big.
And if I may suggest: quality software is a large part of why they hit it big. :)

WotC, take notes, if you intend to use software to make money. GET EXPERTISE IN-HOUSE.

Cheers, -- N

DM_Matt

First Post
Delta said:
I think that you are misinterpreting information posted in this thread. Here's what I see on the Apple site ( http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/ ):

So, according to this:
- Boot Camp is a feature for yet-to-be-released Macs.
- It's currently in Beta testing.
- When Boot Camp is released, you will still need to go out and buy a copy of Windows if you actually want to use it.

I do not think that most Macs of any model type are currently set up to switch to a Windows XP operating system. Feel free to point out differing information if you see specifics in this thread or elsewhere.

The beta is a freely-downloadable public beta that works on any Intel-based Mac. It works very well. You do need Windows, but as Mistwell says, you can get it pretty cheap if you look hard. Also, Parallels can now use your Boot Camp partition as its virtual machine, so one copy of Windows and one virtual C drive can be used for both solutions.

I am typing this on a Mac laptop that boots Windows, too. I have access to a Mac Pro and I have yet to find a PC Game that can even make it sweat at maxed settings.

Delta

First Post
- Do new Macs have the capacity to install Windows? That answer is "yes".
- Are new Macs actually delivered with Windows installed? That answer is "no".
- Do most new Macs actually have Windows installed, or are configured to run Windows in any way? I think that answer is "no".
- What percentage of all Macs have Windows installed? As a raw guess, I bet it's around 10%. That's what I'd be very curious to see a reference for.

TwinBahamut

First Post
Mistwell said:
For the most part, a lot of them can do just what you're saying. They just don't WANT to do it.

It's easier to pretend 100% of the Mac users (about 10% of the total D&D users, guessing) simply cannot or will not use the software, than admit the number is probably a heck of a lot lower than that. Because the air goes out of much of the complaining...as it comes down to "this is a pain in the butt to do, why couldn't you have made it easier for us small number of folks" instead of "this is unwise to do, because it will cost you so many users".

In the end, much like those complaining they won't move over to 4e from 3.5e, most of the Mac users will likely use this despite their complaining that it's too hard for them to do it. And the loss of users from not being Mac OS compatible will be minimal. Likely more minimal than the cost of making it compatible on both platforms up from (despite a host of "experts" here who tell you it's essentially "free" to make it compatible on multiple platoforms).
You are making it sound like Mac users are somehow obligated to use the new WotC programs...

You are right, I COULD go to some lengths to run the program on my Mac through emulation or the like. Also, the only thing stopping me is that I do not WANT to.

Guess what? "Not wanting to" is a perfectly valid reason to not get a product that I would be paying for. As I said, there are many reason why I would prefer the program to be Mac compatible. These reasons are significant enough that unless the program is Mac compatible, I will not make use of it. It is that simple.

HatWearingFool

First Post
I'd like to point out that people with Mac's have very little incentive to go out of their way to set-up a virtualization/dual-boot environment in order to run this software. Not only would doing so involve significant costs ($80 for VMware Fusion or Parallels*, >$100 for windows) it also removes all motivation for WOTC to bring out a Mac version of their software.

I currently run both boot-camp and VMWare Fusion and I have no intention of running DDI on either. The reason I've set them up is so that I can run things critical to me.
Obviously everybody has to decide what they are going to do based on how much value they place on this software. However, I hope that Mac users realize they will not convince WOTC to release Mac version if they simply find a way to run the PC version. WOTC also needs to be made aware of how many customers they are losing out on by not developing a Mac version of their software.

If WOTC is willing to sell subscriptions to different pieces of DDI it would also be helpful (imho) for Mac users to point out to them that they would expand their subscription if only WOTC would choose to support them as a customer. This is actually the best direction to go in my opinion because WOTC will be more willing to listen to an actual customer than some random internet message board whiner. Also by subscribing to a web portion of DDI we will be providing WOTC with real numbers as to how many Mac using customers they are excluding with their windows only offerings. Even if you only subscribe for 1 month (to a portion of DDI that you can use) I believe that your voice would have more weight with WOTC.

Remember the only thing you can do is vote with your wallet. By purchasing and finding a way to run the PC version you are voting for the status quo.

*At this point I don't believe either VMWare Fusion or Parallels supports a high enough version of DirectX to run this software. However, I wouldn't be surprised to see them support DirectX 9 by next summer. Also remember that while Boot Camp is a free beta right now it will not be once Leopard is released. At which time you will have to purchase Leopard in order to get boot camp.

Kesh

First Post
Mistwell said:
Do I have a source for the claim that most newer Macs can switch to a Windows XP operating system?
You said:
For the most part, a lot of them can do just what you're saying. They just don't WANT to do it.
Your comment was about "a lot" of Macs, not "most newer Macs." The majority of Macintosh owners do not have Intel-based Macs. So far, your entire argument is "suck it up and buy a new computer." That's real constructive.
Are you serious? Come on man, this isn't a rules discussion. Put away the disputing tactics. You know modern Macs can switch OS. It's in this thread, from many Mac users themselves.

If you don't want to dispute things, this is probably the wrong thread to be in. Only Macs purchased in the last year or so can dual-boot. Do you seriously think that's "most" Macs being used right now?

Rangoric

First Post
ThirdWizard said:
Although I really expected them to go with Silverlight, which should be Mac-compatible (hopefully) sometime next year.

Wait a second, it ISN'T Mac Compatible?

I thought it already worked on OS X/Windows and IE/Safari/Firefox?

Remove ads