WotC D&D Gets A New Division At Hasbro

Hasbro is reorganizing and giving tabletop gaming -- Dungeons & Dragons and Magic: the Gathering -- a higher priority.

8H-1sjH1_400x400.jpg

According to the Wall Street Journal, WotC's revenue last year was $816 million (a 24% increase on 2019). Brian Goldner, Hasbro's Chief Executive, says WotC is predicted to double revenue from 2019 to 2023.

Hasbro is dividing into three 'units' -- Consumer Products (toys, classic board games); Entertainment (film, TV, licensing); and Wizards & Digital (WotC plus digital licensing).

Hasbro bought WotC in 1999 for about $325M.

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I wonder if those "Hasbro is selling D&D" rumors were actually based on some of the internal Hasbro preparations for this new division. So, not entirely speculation, but maybe insider gossip about goings-on getting out and leading to a wildly wrong conclusion?
I think it's just the YouTube baseless speculation/hysterical misinformation industrial complex. Every possible subject has someone screaming about worst case scenarios on YouTube. It's a hustle.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
Professor DM's video was ridiculous. It was right after a solid earnings call by Hasbro that specifically mentioned the success of D&D. Really hammered home that he's an English teacher, not a financial analyst.
Didn't he specifically debunk it? IIRC he pointed out that certain conditions would have to be met for anything of the sort to happen (including a buyer who'd reasonably want it to have enough cash to buy it) and that those did not look likely to happen anytime soon.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
I think it's just the YouTube baseless speculation/hysterical misinformation industrial complex. Every possible subject has someone screaming about worst case scenarios on YouTube. It's a hustle.
Could be. Just seems like a big coincidence, like some people knew something was going on within Hasbro with respect to D&D, and just went to the most extreme scenario they could imagine. Then again, here I am speculating myself with little facts. :)

Emerikol

Adventurer
I think I used to care a lot more about the direction D&D took but at this point I don't think they are ever going to go my way again. I have peace about it. And there are tons of great games out there so who cares and have fun. A lot of these D&D discussions are really broader in concept. I also own every single edition prior to 5e so it's not like I can't get one out and play it. I also own several good osr games. My favorite right now is ACKS but C&C is solid. DCC, I'm on the fence about but it's an awesome book to just read for ideas. I also have the PDF form of a bunch of the retroclones.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
The Tolkien and Warhammer crossovers appear to be purely Magic-related at this point, but I could imagine D&D being pulled in as well. (I mean, D&D is halfway to being a Tolkien crossover already.)

My initial reaction to seeing that Wizards plans on doing a Tolkien Magic set was "MY CHILDHOOD! IS NOTHING SACRED?" Then I thought about building a Commander deck headed up by the Witch-King of Angmar, and suddenly I was okay with it. Which leaves me with the uneasy feeling that I'm the baddie... :)
I could imagine them doing a Tolkien-based set, like it talks about.

WH40k I could only see them doing as a limited release, special product like the Secret Lair series. These are unique or alternate-art cards that aren't part of their regular card sets. They've already done crossovers with one or two seemingly-unlikely licensed properties this way, including The Walking Dead. But that one still got some uproar and pushback due to the tonal/genre mismatch.

Even if theis epidemic ends soon (hopefullyt!) the entertaiment industry will keep changed due other socialogical reasons.

Hasbro sells toys, but also has got plans about media productions, movies, cartoons and TV shows, and collectable boardgames and digital content (videogames). This is the strategy of "don't put all eggs only in one basket".

I doubt a D&D-Lord of the Ring crossover. Age of Sigmar d20? Not yet. I can accept LotR as "guest start" in Magic: the Gathering, but Warhammer 40.000? It is strange to see cards with space marines using firearms. This sounds as a "first step" or a first contact. If the initial deals work, then we will see more titles togethers.

Dausuul

Legend
New logo!

Huh. Not a big fan of the new logo at first glance, but maybe it'll grow on me.

Of course, I wasn't a big fan of their previous logo either. I think I just don't like logos with 3-D effects. I preferred the simple rectangular logo with the shooting star, before it went all bendy and swooshy.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases