D&D General D&D ICONS OF THE REALMS PREMIUM FIGURES

Redvee

Villager
Hi, Does anyone have experience of buying the pre-painted D&D Icons of the Realms premium figures (by WizKids)?
The computer rendered images look great, but concerned about the quality of the paint job when ordering online.
I don't want to shell out extra on the pre-painted figures to find they look crappy. and could do a better quick paint job myself.
Any feedback would be helpful as I have no physical stores near me to view the product.

Redvee

Villager
I have 2 or 3.

The paint jobs are definitely not as good as the renders, but the minis still look pretty good. I think they look better than basic pre painted minis, and I’m ok with the extra cost for the quality.
That's good to hear Marc, I appreciate your input - my son is starting out in D&D and I thought I'd get him a set of minis for his groups PCs.
I haven't really got the time to do a real good paint job myself and it's many moons since I bought minis myself - it seems things have changed a good bit.

Omand

Hero
I will chime in as well. I have purchased some of the Premium minis. Not as good as the renders as @Marc Radle has indicated, but much better than I could paint myself.

I bought in heavily for the original WotC minis starting in 2003 and these are about on par with the average figures in that run of minis as well. Not as good as the best ones we saw around the Desert of Desolation and Underdark sets of the DDM run, but not as bad as the earliest minis in Harbinger where some were pretty dire.

Cheers :)

Adamant

Explorer
I've also bought a few of the premium minis. I tend to be a perfectionist, so maybe I'm being too critical of a $10 mini, but I think the paint is just good enough to be worth buying. The only real pre-colored alternative that I know of is Heroforge's color minis, however, and this is of course way cheaper than those. If possible I would check out the paint in person before buying, as there are some differences mini to mini, but I don't recall seeing any really bad ones.

Omand

Hero
I've also bought a few of the premium minis. I tend to be a perfectionist, so maybe I'm being too critical of a $10 mini, but I think the paint is just good enough to be worth buying. The only real pre-colored alternative that I know of is Heroforge's color minis, however, and this is of course way cheaper than those. If possible I would check out the paint in person before buying, as there are some differences mini to mini, but I don't recall seeing any really bad ones.
I would second this. When I purchase any of the Premium Wizkids Icons of the Realms minis I always try to do so in person. There are definitely some differences that you can spot when they are on the shelf.

Cheers :)

Dire Bare

Legend
Can't speak for anyone who's already posted, but . . . some might confuse the standard paint quality vs the premium paint quality. The standard paint quality (non-premium) is pretty terrible up close, not too bad from a distance, or if you are near-sighted, or aren't overly concerned with detail. The premium paint jobs are more expensive (of course), are truly a higher quality, but still . . . . aren't that great. It can vary with the miniature. If you have a local hobby shop, I would suggest visiting and seeing the minis up front and personal. They do come in clear plastic packaging, and the premium figures are clearly labeled "premium".

Still, considering the painted figures, premium or not, are table-ready right out of the packaging is a huge draw for many of us. I prefer them to hordes of unpainted minis on my table.

Redvee

Villager
Wow thanks to all above who took time out to give their opinions - first time on this forum, and I wasn't expecting such a great response.
The consensus seems to be that the quality is just ok - but I have to agree got to be better than plain grey!
I do have a fairly critical eye and some of the images I have managed to find online look a little ropey.
I will definitely try to get to the physical shop rather than buying online.
My son wants to try his hand at painting minis anyway so may get some painted ones to get him started and the a bunch of unpainted ones to try his hand at.

Thanks all - am I supposed to close this thread now?

Remove ads