D&D in Target?!?!

hbarsquared

Quantum Chronomancer
Not only kudos to WotC on the Target, price-point, newbie friendly thang, but also their timeline.

Rolling out Essentials, in its current form and how its been presented, would have been impossible with the release of 4E. They needed a couple-few years to work out the kinks, find out what people really liked, and what would end up working best for people just approaching the game. A boxed set could not exist without the three years of feedback and market research, not to mention the tried-and-true D&Ders to develop the investment into the game.

So, thank you WotC, not only for 4E and making the effort to bring in the kids, but also the forethought to do it right.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
And, might I add...a nice job by WotC of picking a color for the product that will fit with their newest retail outlet's own corporate colors perfectly.

They might even manage to get the thing shown in one of Target's "red" commercials.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oexPsLBKhSs&feature=related"]YouTube- Target Commercial[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SEGbRy5mIw&feature=related"]YouTube- Target Commercial Long Live Happy version 1[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4iJC5gdkeA&feature=related"]YouTube- Target Hello Good Buy Commercial[/ame]

Last edited:

Scribble

First Post
The Red Box will still be red, but the 80's logo and artwork will be replaced by the modern equivalents.

I imagine the retro version will only be sold in FLGSs, for the nostalgia value

Do we have confirmation on this from anywhere? (I've heard it said a bunch of times around here, but never by anyone "official")

tuxgeo

Adventurer
Do we have confirmation on this from anywhere? (I've heard it said a bunch of times around here, but never by anyone "official")
That depends on whom you count as being "official."
Charles Ryan posted on WotC Community boards 18 February 2010, here.
(He was still working in D&D in England then. Thanks to [MENTION=52905]darjr[/MENTION] for the link in a March 4 post.)

For those not interested in following provided links, I'll recap here:
CharlesRyan said:
I've just received the WotC solicitation for the Red Box, or more properly, the Dungeons & Dragons Fantasy Roleplaying Game--the new starter version of D&D releasing this Autumn. If you've played D&D for a while, you probably recognize this cover and the "Red Box" moniker: They hearken back to the introductory boxed set in print in the early 80s, which launched many a gamer's game-playing career.
. . . and there's an image in his original post . . .
CharlesRyan said:
(Compare this image to the one in my earlier post, and you might notice it's different. This one is literally the original cover, with only (as far as I can tell) the WotC logo as a change. The other one evoked this version, but had new art and a retro-styled 4E logo. Both came from official WotC sources, but this is what's on the solicitation, so I think it's the most accurate.)
. . . and then, later in the post, he says:
CharlesRyan said:
The retro cover will only grace the first print run of this product; later print runs will have a more modern look that matches the style of the Essentials line products.

If you recall that Charles Ryan used to work in the industry, and got info directly from WotC, you might wish to consider this to be "official." Others might not.

Remove ads