D&D in Target?!?!

Well, I don't know how official that is, but here's the two pictures that have been floating around the internet.

The most logical thing (imho) would be to sell the first one (retro) at gaming stores for the nostalgia value.

However both the artwork and the logo scream "1980's" so the second, more modern styling could be sold at Target, Toys-r-us, Sears, etc., preferably next to other Hasbro products, like Parker Brothers boardgames.
The red box with the dragon and the "Dungeons and Dragons" name in it will be enough to attract lapsed players without turning off young people.

But heck, what do I know?

Attachments

• redbox1.jpg
    redbox1.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 137
  • redbox2.jpg
    redbox2.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 151

jbear

First Post
Glad to hear they are prepared to try to go mass-market again.

(I just hope the "D&D = Satanism" thing doesn't return as well, although in these days of easy research on Wikipedia, it is less likely to happen)

Edit: Who am I kidding, if D&D becomes popular again, Fred Phelps and his faithful handful will probably rally outside GenCon next year...
With dozens of ultra-violent video games where brutal murder, rape and thieving are well within the bounds of the game, D&D doesn't really seem very 'freaky' or 'dangerous' anymore.

Fantasy Genre is now mainstream in video games and cinema which is massively important in mainstream culture. MMORPG like WOW have gone a long way in dispelling those kinds of 'demons'. That's millions of people we are talking about. Besides, given the choice, what would you rather have your kid be doing; playing at thieving and murder, running down innocent bystanders with a car and ... yeah, it gets worse... or playing at being a fantasy character fighting in a world of magic, struggling against evil?

When I was a wee boy my parents sat me down and gave me a very serious warning to stay away from D&D because it lead to demon posession. That talk would torment me with guilt for years as I tried to find ways around it without breaking my promise. I was maybe 6 or 7. As I grew up the same attitudes continued. We had to turn off The Never Ending Story at the part where the wolf appears chasing Atrieu through the Swamp of Sorrow for the first time. I didn't see E.T until I was 21. I actually only eventually watched it just becuase I hadn't been allowed. My parents knew of my passion for fantasy and science fiction but it had always been seriously frowned upon and constantly discouraged. I used to hide books inside books, so i could read tales of the Dragonlance without getting in trouble. To this day they don't know what an avid D&D player/lover their warnings and prohibitions turned me into. I digress.

My parents came to visit me in Europe a couple of years ago. I knew their attitude towards Fantasy in general had changed due to the movie Lord of the Rings. Yeah, we're kiwis... and before LotR, mapmakers would often leave us right off the map because we were too near the edge (besides, who would notice), so, after LotR we were allowed back onto the map, and so it was pretty much every kiwis obligation to dutifully love it as proud patriots. I remember my mum saying afterwards that she'd come to realise that it didn't matter that they were ugly little creatures, it was still a story about the struggle between good and evil.

That change in itself was surprising enough. But my biggest surprise was when I was playing Guild Wars one evening, thinking they'd gone to bed, and my Dad came and sat down beside me just to watch. It wasn't to watch to see if he approved, it was because he was fascinated. And there were some pretty ugly creatures involved, elementalists, ritualists calling up spirits, necromancers calling up undead minions out of the corpses of fallen monsters... he stayed up til well past 3 in the morning with me and he was totally enjoying it.

Seriously, if my parents attitudes can change towards magic, dragons and fantasy in general, and hence d&D itself, anyone's can (and probably have already as well). And if you're curious, my dad was an evangelist minister for nearly 30 years, so you don't get much more 'staunchly against' than that.

Solvarn

First Post
Different world

It's a vastly different culture now than when D&D first came out. The Internet allows a busy parent to research a topic much more easily then they might otherwise.

First Thessalonians tells Christians to "abstain from the appearance of evil." It would be really hard for me to believe in this day and age that Dungeons & Dragons could even appear as being that evil. Simplified it's overinvolved chess. Today's game isn't even as controversial as 3E was.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Oh, you'd be surprised.

Despite the fact that I was able to openly run an RPG club at my Catholic HS in Texas at the height of the Satanic Panic, there is still a lot of sentiment that the game- even the hobby as a whole- is somehow anti-Christian.

At least among the Evangelicals and conservative Protestants of the Bible Belt, that is. I haven't encountered any fellow Catholics who harbor any ill-will towards the hobby these days...but then again, I don't game with anyone from my Church, either- my group is predominantly Protestants or agnostics and 2 Evangelicals. Come to think of it, I'm the only Catholic I know who is an active gamer.

(Can't speak to how other faiths view the hobby.)

Varchild

First Post
I am glad to see d&d make it back into mainstream outlets. I first got into rpgs via tsr's dungeons and dragons stuff that they sold through toys r us like dragon strike.

Sent from my T-Mobile G1 using Tapatalk

Dungeoneer

First Post
So here's the conundrum: buy the Red Box at your FLGS and support them, or buy the Red Box at Target so that they continue to stock it and perhaps other D&D products in hopes of D&D breaking back into the 'mainstream'?

Given that, Target.

If Target continues to stock D&D because you bought it there, then eventually those players who buy D&D at Target will start buying other stuff at the FLGS.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Depending upon your bankroll and purposes...

If I were buying 1 copy, I'd buy at my FLGS. They're the backbone retailers of the hobby who will be there if the big-box stores drop RPGs at some point.

If I were buying multiple copies- because I'm a Group Librarian type- I'd buy one at my FLGS and one at Target. Beyond that, all bets are off.

Remove ads