D&D Inducted Into National Toy Hall of Fame (Along with the Swing and Little People)

The US' Strong Museum of Play has just inducted - along with the humble swing, and Fisher-Price's Little People - Dungeon & Dragons into the National Toy Hall of Fame. The Hall of Fame recognises toys and games that sustain longterm popularity, and currently contains 62 toys including Barbie, the frisbee, Monopoly, roller skates, the jigsaw puzzle, Scrabble, the skateboard, the ball, playing cards, the blanket, chess, the Rubik's Cube, even the cardboard box, and more.

NTHoF2016-inductees_0.jpg

There were 4,200 nominations for 780 toys this year, and the 12 finalists included Care Bears, colouring books, and Clue. Here's what they had to say about D&D:

In the 1970s, serious war game players Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson added the concept of role-playing to the strategy games they enjoyed. They thus created an entirely new way to play, allowing older gamers to immerse themselves in fantasy worlds not unlike children’s imaginative play. The game soon became popular, and other firms published similar games built upon related mechanics but often employing different fantasy settings, from historic battlefields to outer space. Dungeons & Dragons (D&D) and its imitators actually changed the nature of play.

In Dungeons & Dragons players assume the roles of characters who inhabit a world moderated and narrated by a Dungeon Master, a player who explains the action to others and solicits their reactions to the unfolding story. The Dungeon Master’s storytelling skills and the players’ abilities to imagine add enjoyment to the game. Some aspects of the play are familiar, such as dice. But the special dice for Dungeons & Dragons hold up to 20 sides. Rolling them determines each character’s individual strengths, plots their complex interactions, and decides the outcome of their encounters.

More than any other game, Dungeons & Dragons paved the way for older children and adults to experience imaginative play. It was groundbreaking. And it opened the door for other kinds of table games that borrow many of its unique mechanics. But most importantly, Dungeons & Dragons’ mechanics lent themselves to computer applications. The computer speedily reproduced the role of the Dungeon Master, defining and relating a game’s particular world. And character traits and encounter outcomes, determined by the dice, meshed perfectly with computational random number generation. Eventually, increased graphics capabilities allowed computers to illustrate the imaginary worlds rather than simply describe them. Coupled with the rise of the Internet, players’ characters could now interact in these graphic settings with countless other characters all over the world. These Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Games (MMORPG’s), such as World of Warcraft and many others with diverse thematic settings, are extremely popular today. Without Dungeons & Dragons, these games would not have evolved as they did.

dungeons-and-dragons-group.png

SaveSave

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
saddens me pinball and bubble wrap missed out though

That is the definite downside of only having a couple inductees every year... there's always a "Hey, wait, how did X get inducted before Y?" I know personally I have that reaction to the Game Boy going in before things like Hot Wheels, and The Game of Life getting to be the 5th board game to go in rather than something like Pachisi or Clue (behind Monopoly, Checkers, Scrabble, and Candyland) but it is what it is.

Bubble wrap is one of those "generic object" toys that I expect will get in sooner than later. Pinball is in an interesting position though because the Hall has begun the video arcade game revolution (with the 2600 and Game Boy) and thus wonder if the pinball machine might actually be continually passed by as they move onto later systems like the NES and PS. Either that, or they're putting the pinball machine into more of the "adult game" bucket alongside things like billiards, darts, and ping-pong and thus aren't going to include it? No idea.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
That being said... I think my vote for toys that should be coming up shortly on the docket are Toss Across, walkie-talkies, RC cars, and tetherball.

Satyrn

First Post
That is the definite downside of only having a couple inductees every year... there's always a "Hey, wait, how did X get inducted before Y?" I know personally I have that reaction to the Game Boy going in before things like Hot Wheels, and The Game of Life getting to be the 5th board game to go in rather than something like Pachisi or Clue (behind Monopoly, Checkers, Scrabble, and Candyland) but it is what it is.
When you start listing these things, and with [MENTION=6822731]flametitan[/MENTION] suggesting this was - not rigged, more manipulated - brought about by heavy internet campaigning, I kind of feel like D&D doesn't belong in there. Not yet anyway.

But as you say, it is what it is. And it's not bad. Not bad at all.

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
When you start listing these things, and with [MENTION=6822731]flametitan[/MENTION] suggesting this was - not rigged, more manipulated - brought about by heavy internet campaigning, I kind of feel like D&D doesn't belong in there. Not yet anyway.

But as you say, it is what it is. And it's not bad. Not bad at all.

I suspect its more a function of D&D, being D&D, gets very passionate supporters and they will vote.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The football (normal and American), water pistol, Star Wars toys, Jenga, dice, hoola hoop, a stick, a tree, a pillow, the bicycle, the teddy bear, yo-yo, Scalextrix, the baseball bat. Not sure if any of those are already in there.

Satyrn

First Post
The football (normal and American), water pistol, Star Wars toys, Jenga, dice, hoola hoop, a stick, a tree, a pillow, the bicycle, the teddy bear, yo-yo, Scalextrix, the baseball bat. Not sure if any of those are already in there.
Sigh, except for Jenga, I'd put all that in before D&D.

Huh. Almost all of them are. Just not the bat, slot cars, dice, Jenga and tree. It looks like they're getting the list rather correct, and I recant my earlier thought that D&D doesn't belong yet. It looks like the appropriate time for it to go in.

But I'm outraged at the exlcusion of tree. I spent a lot of time playing on with a willow growing up.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I was going to start a thread but I'm glad I saw this first.

Great honor and recognition for the game, maybe it will attract more players?

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases