• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General D&D "influencers" need to actively acknowledge other games.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Of course, but video games often scratch the same or a similar itch to tabletop, so it seemed especially relevant.

I dunno if that argument helps here. I mean, I've largely left off playing videogames because of the time commitment required to get anywhere with them. Baldur's Gate 3 is something like 65 hours of play - not really short on the time commitment there.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I dunno if that argument helps here. I mean, I've largely left off playing videogames because of the time commitment required to get anywhere with them. Baldur's Gate 3 is something like 65 hours of play - not really short on the time commitment there.
See for me, the convenience of being able in to play pretty much whenever makes them a good option to scratch that itch.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Heh! and that is being efficient, I have over 300 hours and only one actual play through.

Meech17

Adventurer
It took me around 110 hours for my first play through. I'm at ~260 hours now with two more play-throughs, neither of which are complete. I essentially ceased to exist as a person when I got that dang game.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Except Umbran is right. TTRPGS do require a large investment of time and energy, more than watching a series on streaming or reading a novel.
No, he’s not because no they don’t. There are heaps of games you can sit down and play with zero prep or prior knowledge.

Pickup RPGs exist. Solo RPGs exist. Rules light and ultralight RPGs exist. Referee-led blackbox RPGs exist. The argument assumes, wrongly, that none of these exist and all games are roughly equivalent to D&D.
I’m a fan of games like PbtA or Fate, and if you think you can play one of those games by passively consuming it like binging on a series for three hours, you’ve never played one.
That’s not what I said.
Arguably, those systems require a greater investment than D&D, since you can’t default to « my character swipes at the nearest monster with a sword » and each player is expected to be an active participant in the creation of the fiction.
That would be a terrible argument as you can still default to swiping at whatever obstacle is nearest. And “just swiping” is still actively creating fiction.

Last edited:

Oofta

Legend
No, he’s not because no they don’t. There are heaps of games you can sit down and play with zero prep or prior knowledge.

Pickup RPGs exist. Solo RPGs exist. Rules light and ultralight RPGs exist. Referee-led blackbox RPGs exist. The argument assumes, wrongly, that none of these exist and all games are roughly equivalent to D&D.

That’s not what I said.

That would be a terrible argument as you can still default to swiping at whatever obstacle is nearest. And “just swiping” is still actively creating fiction.
But all the lightweight games I've tried simply don't have legs. There's just not enough there to have a long term campaign. That, and there aren't really enough rules to make much of a difference to a D&D game.

Whether that impression matches yours or not comes down to opinion of course. If you like the games, great. But you don't get to tell other people what they'll like or benefit from.

Meech17

Adventurer
Isn't the process of:
  • Doing the initial search to find this heap of games.
  • Reading and sorting through said heap, to find the one you think will work for the scenario you want to present.
  • Coming up with said scenario, or finding a pre-written one(In which case that's more on the reading pile.)
  • Going out, pitching the concept to friends to get them interested, or pitching your current play group, who may or may not be interested in playing.
  • Scheduling the time to play it.
A fair bit of leg-work? I'm not saying it's unmanageable. A while back in another thread someone mentioned we should quit whining about how hard it is to DM, and how much work it is, as its likely to scare away would-be DMs.. And I agree with that sentiment.. But on the flip side we can't discount the fact that this stuff isn't as simple as picking out a new show or reading a novel.

I can certainly see why people who have already put in the work and effort (Someone like myself) to get a D&D campaign wouldn't exactly be chomping at the bit to start over again with another game. If my D&D game works for 80% of the stuff I want to do.. Isn't it natural I may look for a home brew solution to get the other 20% rather than throw away the whole thing for another game which may have it's own problems, or perhaps fall short in other areas?

Thomas Shey

Legend

CRPGs are not known for being on the shorter end of video game play.

Remove ads