• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General D&D "influencers" need to actively acknowledge other games.

If someone sets themselves up as an "influencer", then they certainly should be knowledgeable about the subject they talk about, which would include other game systems if talking about D&D, especially if the focus is on mechanics.

Unfortunately, the internet, speaking confidently, and number of followers (which can be bought) grants a false authority, and many thousands of people are far too willing to listen to people who know nothing about what they are talking about. There is always a high demand for snake oil.

I don't see any solution to that on a broader scale, and clearly it affects things that are far more important than D&D.

Last edited:

SableWyvern

Adventurer
I don't have the slightest little bit of interest in 5e D&D. But I am perfectly OK if some people want to talk about it on their Youtube channel, and I'm also OK if they don't want to talk about Fate. I also see no reason to demand (or even politely ask, for that matter) that GinniD talks about games that interest me. Her channel, to talk about whatever it is that suits her.

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
I disagree as well. The influencers can make whatever appeals to them and also makes them a revenue stream, which I hope isn’t clickbait-y to often :)

Hard disagree. I'm sick of the increasingly common trend of "5e D&D videos" that bash on 5e and talk about how much better Pathfinder, Shadowdark, Dungeon Crawl Classic, or whatever is. That's awesome if you like those games and want to make videos about them, but stop clickbaiting me into watching what I think is about 5e but it's actually just an ad for a game I have zero interest in. There are at least a few youtube channels that I've entirely stopped watching because they pull this tactic often. Fortunately, Ginny D is not one of them
Emphasis mine.

I'm struggling to think of a (role-playing) game I have zero interest in.

There are probably a few very-niche ones on itch.io I have no interest in (or would have no interest in, if I'd ever heard of them) but even then I'd happily listen to someone else talk about them, if only to find out what I'm missing.

I really like GinniD. She is a skilled GM, enthusiastic about the hobby, and makes everyone viewing her channel feel welcome. Her most recent video, though, got me thinking about something that has been scratching violently at the back of my mind:

There are other games than D&D, and these influencers surely know that but they generally avoid pointing to those games.

In this video as an example, she is talking about player investment in world building. That problem has been solved by Fate. I feel like a YT GM like GinniD should point that out and point her followers to Fate in order to solve this particular problem.

What do you think? Should D&D influencers acknowledge other games that solve problems they are talking about on their channels? If not, why not?
Nobody wants to be told to play a different game for something as basic as player investment in world building lol

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
It’d be nice if people mentioned other games when talking about 5e. But there are literally hundreds and hundreds of roleplaying games out there. I don’t expect people to keep up with every single game out there just in case another game solved something they want solved.

I’ve been playing since 1982 and have only played about 75 different rpgs and people still consider me quite knowledgable about different systems. But I’ve never played Fate. Have only passing knowledge of Apocalypse World and PbtA-style games. Heck I’m struggling to keep up with WFRP alone and that’s my favourite game. And there are tons of other games out there that are probably awesome that I’m missing out on, but I can’t play or even read them all.

I think the best way to change any influencer’s content is to comment on the video and suggest the influencer look into this specific game that I am familiar with but that the influencer might have missed.

Last edited:

Nobody wants to be told to play a different game for something as basic as player investment in world building lol
I'm not Reynard, but I didn't think that was what they meant by their post. I took it more as a suggestion to look to see how Fate does it, with a view to maybe coming up with something similar in a 5e game.

So I missed out on the laugh-out-loud moment you enjoyed.

Remove ads