• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Insider Character Builder Open Beta live

Pseudopsyche

First Post
Rewarding good behavior is better then trying to punish bad behavior. Think about how it works for trolls - if you answer them and call them on their :):):):):):):):), they feel their work is done. If you ignore them, they will feel their efforts have been pointless.
I have to agree. If you read a post with which you diagree, responding with your perspective can add to the thread. If you encounter a person with whom you diagree, it's probably a waste of time to persuade them to change their mind. I've gotten to point where I skip posts that have point-by-point rebuttals.

On topic: I love the character builder and look forward to the day when I never need to create a PC by hand again. The support for new crunch will really set it apart from previous such tools; I expect that we'll be able to use third-party crunch via houserules. Although what if the GSL provided for other publishers to submit their own data files compatible with the Character Builder?

Kishin

First Post
This board really needs a negative xp button. Like level draining or something.

Then we all might as well move every thread here over to 4chan. I would not want to see how fast the community tears itself apart with that option.

Pseudopsyche said:
Although what if the GSL provided for other publishers to submit their own data files compatible with the Character Builder?

Neat idea, but given the fiery hells the Rouse and co. has had to be dragged through to try and get it to where folks are hoping it will end up (a journey that is still presently underway), I think making provision for something like this (that is, if it isn't already going on behind the scenes) would only complicate the matter further.

"GSL to include Character Builder add-on support! Delayed to 2017!" :(

Mercule

Adventurer
I just finally got a chance to play with the CharBuild and I have to say that it's an awesome tool. Beautiful and functional. I'm sure I'll find some things as I play with it, but my first impression is very positive. I hope the Campaign Builder (or whatever the piece used to create the campaigns to be loaded is called) is as nice. Since I almost exclusively home brew, that's a requirement.

justanobody

Banned
Banned
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?p=17498123#post17498123
After some more discussions here, and until we have the capability to mark a record in more than one source, we have chosen to go with the latest published source, instead of the original source.

This is mainly to be more in synch with the latest version of the Compendium, that offers source as a filter. So as of yesterday's compendium update, the minotaur will appear with a Dragon magazine source, while the Drow will have the Forgotten Realm Player's Guide source. The full version fo the Character Builder will use the same information.

So basically CB will only include the newest version of something because it has to function first to be legal for RPGA use.

So when you update you risk losing a class, race, feat, whatever from an older source and have to use the newest source info.

This sounds real smart.

Maybe they need to revmoe the RPGA legal bit until they have it working rather than remove data like the Minotaur from MM and replace it with a Dragon they may not own, or whatever appears for a Minotaur in Eberron....

Bad design indeed.

Seems this database search tools with a few calculators built in doesn't work well with handling data....

Kishin

First Post
RPGA legal.... - Wizards Community

So basically CB will only include the newest version of something because it has to function first to be legal for RPGA use.

So when you update you risk losing a class, race, feat, whatever from an older source and have to use the newest source info.

This sounds real smart.

Maybe they need to revmoe the RPGA legal bit until they have it working rather than remove data like the Minotaur from MM and replace it with a Dragon they may not own, or whatever appears for a Minotaur in Eberron....

Bad design indeed.

Seems this database search tools with a few calculators built in doesn't work well with handling data....

Some of those changes were pretty necessary, considering how ridiculous Minotaur + Oversized Weapons were.

Also, you should consider a career in PR or politics. Your acumen for spin is amazing.

justanobody

Banned
Banned
I stand by the fact that you should not alter the core books that people will be playing with or remove them from another product and outmode them for some new material than not everyone may have, or have access to.

Doesn't matter what the RPGA needs, bacuse a larger portion of players will NOT be in RPGA games, but in home games, and those people need to have access to the core material, not only the RPGA newest material.

This is a fault in programming.

Another reason where properly designed filters should be in place and accounted for as needed as the data grows.

Notice how compared to the Compendium, yet, then compendium includes both sets of rules for Drow and Minotaur?

Well there you go. It isn't that hard to figure out which steps to take to make it work here. This is the same thing all CBs have had a problem with is people not knowing how to make the data work with the software, IE bad software designers and programmers. There is no polygons to have to play with in CB, there is no skin that needs to be applied to a model, this is simple data management.

All you need is a filter for RPGA legal, and update the datasets to include a flag that says which is RPGA legal or not in the data rows. Done!

When you pull form the races table with RPGA only selected you only pull those races with the RPGA flag set.

When you pull from the races table with RPGA only turned off, you pull all races. Maybe you want to only pull PHB races so it gets a flag.

WotC decided to make the thing, so the least they could do is make it right.

1-PHB
2-DMG
3-MM

This code tells what book to filter books only in an index, and you only need the RPGA flag....

RPGA?
1=yes
0/null=no

Sheesh, you call it spin, but it is glaringly obvious how to get it to work quickly with a properly built database and system made to properly read that database, but even the compendium is lacking full filtering and such after how many months?

vic20

Fool

I think you are vastly under-estimating the complexity of the software architecture under the covers. I've got plenty of experience analyzing and designing software systems, and this sort of off-hand dismissal of reality is exactly the voice that will destroy quality. Oh boy, the stories I could tell...

justanobody

Banned
Banned
I think you are vastly under-estimating the complexity of the software architecture under the covers. I've got plenty of experience analyzing and designing software systems, and this sort of off-hand dismissal of reality is exactly the voice that will destroy quality. Oh boy, the stories I could tell...

Look at this forums tables and its database, and you will see how simple it is I am talking about.

If they cannot get the data in correctly from the database, then there is no hope that the calculations are correct because you have the wrong things plugged into your formula.

The stories I could tell from using the wrong data to do the math with....

vic20

Fool
Look at this forums tables and its database, and you will see how simple it is I am talking about.

I think you are looking at the problem with much less experience than you think you are. Software is about more than just normalized relationships between tables. That is a very small corner of the Hundred Acre Wood.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads