D&D Insider! UP ! (merged)

So far I've been completely underwhelmed by WotC's D&D Insider offerings. Considering that they still haven't been able to compile Dungeon or Dragon into PDF magazines (as well as their e-Tools history) I don't have a lot of faith in them to be able to do everything they are promising.

Even if they are able to do everything they are promising, I still don't know if I am in their target market. The most things of interest to me would be Dungeon and Dragon magazines, the Rules Compendium and maybe the Dungeon Tile Mapper. I don't really have a great desire to play D&D online via the game table so half of the features have little to no value to me.

So I would say that I am doubtful for now. If they have a Dungeon subscription available as a separate option I would definitely be interested in that though.

Olaf the Stout

malraux

First Post
If DDI can deliver a character sheet generator that's truly integrated across all the books and DDI content, I'll probably find the money for it. If it can make a dm prep tool that'll have the preloaded content of DDI and other WotC adventures, I'll probably be all over that like white on rice. I personally think the character visualizer is silly waste of technology (in my day we mined lead from the earth and carved it into our own personal miniature, then used our sweat and blood as paint), but I'll probably try it out once anyway.

If the DDI content is as useful as dragon and dungeon, then it, plus the combined online tools are possibly worth 10 bucks a month.

VannATLC

First Post
To be fair, I beta'd MTG:O and played it for a bit after release (Too expensive for my tastes.)

It was a quality product. I imagine it still is.

LedOrc

First Post
Ohh... the game table only supports XP.

My group now has at least 2 mac, and 1 Windows vista... Hopefully they will release compatible versions.

If not, well, MapTool has worked out well so far. Although, 3d maps are pretty nifty...

Edit: I'm also disappointed that it's tied directly into their current site. They really should look into hiring a new information architect

Last edited:

Korgoth

First Post
I don't even see anything. Is it not compatible with Mozilla?

And no, I'm not interested. And I think it will tank like the Exxon Valdez.

AZRogue

First Post
It'll succeed if WotC is willing to spend the money on development that is required. It's not as cheap as developing rule books. If they spend the money, it will be all right. If they try to cut corners, as they have in the past, it won't.

I hope it succeeds.

Shroomy

Adventurer
The TOC for the first 4e issues of the magazines seems promising, especially Dragon. I actually want the Class Acts article the most!

zerotkatama

First Post
YES! CLASS ACTS! CLASS ACTS ARE BACK! WHOO!

And with Illusionist support! Boo-yah!

Edit: and Warforged support. Woo! Can't wait for those articles.

Gilwen

Explorer
I'd be willing to try it if it was <= $60 a year. Everything that the DDI offers will likely be available in substitute forms.

Gil

Remove ads