• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D-ism you would sacrifice?

Crazy Jerome

First Post
Let's say you get a major influence during the design phase of a version of D&D. What D&D-ism would you sacrifice?

For purposes of this answer, it isn't important that everyone agree that the thing you would sacrifice is critical to D&D. It only matters that you think it is, but you'd still be willing to cut it out--maybe even against your better judgment as to what the audience would expect. :D

Example to follow ...

Crazy Jerome

First Post
I'd be so very tempted to narrow class definitions to core functions based on classes. Thus a "fighter" class would be only about being a good fighter; a "wizard" class would be only about casting arcane spells, etc. Then to get well-rounded results, every character would necessarily be multiclassed. Thus multiclassing isn't an option, it is the default.

The sacrifice is the prototypical single-classed character, built as an archetype.

I'd be willing to do this for the breadth of options that could be covered in relatively little text. If "fighter" is only about "fighting" with weapons, then you don't need a zillion versions of it. If you want to add options that make better archers or paladins or long-sword wielding elf "mages", you merely add there little bits as other classes, and let people pick the mix that fits for them.

Ahnehnois

First Post
Hit Points.

Anything that models real-world health and sickness and injury better would be a huge step forward for the game. The key is to keep it comprehensible for the average gamer, which is why it's been so hard to do.

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
Attacks handled as a separate, if similar, mechanism as skills. Instead, move to a more skill based system with Melee, Ranged, and Spellcasting as skills.

Ultimately, though, I wouldn't change too much, because if I don't want to play D&D, there are hundreds of other games.

Remove ads