• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General D&D Live Play Dimension 20 At Madison Square Garden

Popular D&D livestream at New York's famous Madison Square Garden.

d20-madison.png

Popular Dungeons & Dragons livestream Dimension 20 will be appearing live at New York's famous Madison Square Garden next year.

The one-night-only game will take place on January 24th 2025, and will be called Gauntlet at the Garden. It will feature six of the series' regular cast--Emily Axford, Ally Beardsley, Brian Murphy, Zac Oyama, Siobhan Thompson, and Lou Wilson, with Brendan Lee Mulligan as the GM. Tickets will go on sale this Friday.

Madison Square Garden is a multi-purpose arena in New York and has a capacity of about 20,000 people. Last year, Critical Role played Wembley Arena in London.

LesserThan

Explorer
Counterpoint

It is - the evidence is overwhelming. There's about a dozen of these actual plays touring in venues designed for spectator sports.
These venues hold these things 10 hours after the floor had be mucked of the horses a day before, and the day before that it was a dog show.

My point was not WHERE it was held, as these places go from frozen floor hockey area, to grass covered soccer pitch. It was about the fact that the masses are less interested in watching others play tabletop games. This is not some International Chess Masters tournament, its just flipping D&D.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
D&D just is not a spectator sport.
And yet, millions of people watch it.

Maybe you could just say "it's not for me," rather than declaring that everyone else is wrong.

And Ginny D DMing for her parents is hardly the best example of the form. If you are ever interested in giving it another go, I would recommend watching one of the free episodes of Dimension 20 on YouTube. Everyone involved are professional performers, the episodes move quickly and tend to be extremely funny. The debut episode of Escape the Bloodkeep (basically, what did Sauron's lieutenants do once they realized the boss was dead) is a good one-off to watch.

Last edited:

LesserThan

Explorer
Insulting other members
And yet, millions of people watch it.

Maybe you could just say "it's not for me," rather than declaring that everyone else is wrong.
Prove your numbers with actual metrics.

Oh wait, you are one of those that accuse people of saying things they never did to start a fight on the internet. You can just join the pile.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
This is not some International Chess Masters tournament, its just flipping D&D.

Prove your numbers with actual metrics.

Oh wait, you are one of those that accuse people of saying things they never did to start a fight on the internet. You can just join the pile.

That's 12,000 people.

The World Chess Championship was held in a hotel ballroom, possibly their largest space with a capacity of 400

LesserThan

Explorer

That's 12,000 people.

The World Chess Championship was held in a hotel ballroom, possibly their largest space with a capacity of 400
12000 is a far cry from "millions" claimed, and Critical Role viewing numbers are about the same 12000 and dropping according the CBR and their daughter channel, offspring channel?, The Character Sheet on Youtube.

Hasbro recently claimed something like 50 million D&D players worldwide. I am pretty sure 12000 of 50 million is well less than 1%.

Thanks for providing some form of number, however useful it turns out to be in further discussion. :)

Oh, and chess is like FIFA or NFL, watched mostly on TV than attending the actual event. So venue size is again meaningless if nobody watches live at the event more than would normally watch when streamed.

I stand by, the masses are not interested in watching people play tabletop games. They are more of a niche within a niche within a niche rather than the norm.

R_J_K75

Legend
This is cool, but I cant imagine going to one of these. I can barely watch on youtube for more than 5min. Thats a me thing, not a them thing.
I can not see why others want to watch peopl play a TRPG either. It is not like boxing when you can place bets. What would the over and under be on a TPK?

You are not alone, and 5 minutes into any of those things on Youtube was all I could take as well.
D&D just is not a spectator sport.
The only live stream I've ever watched for D&D was the one with Kevin Smith and Jason Mewes among others, I didn't get through much more than a few minutes as I found Kevin Smith to be disruptive and annoying. So I stopped watching it. I can't watch other people play RPGs online and I'm baffled that people would pay to see it.
The world just keeps getting weirder.
Yes, it certainly is.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
12000 is a far cry from "millions" claimed, and Critical Role viewing numbers are about the same 12000 and dropping according the CBR and their daughter channel, offspring channel?, The Character Sheet on Youtube.
This is blatantly wrong
The Character Sheet is by a TTRPG writer covering news.
Critical Role's YouTube page has 2.2 million followers. Their Twitch page has 1.3 million followers. Their weekly audience is in the 100s of thousands
Oh, and chess is like FIFA or NFL, watched mostly on TV than attending the actual event. So venue size is again meaningless if nobody watches live at the event more than would normally watch when streamed.
Chess is not like FIFA or the NFL, as hundreds of millions of people actually watch those events.

The fact is that live, in-person actual plays are in venues that host sports and theaters that host major plays. They have in-person turnout in the thousands and then have hundreds of thousands watch via streaming

edited to be less aggressive

LesserThan

Explorer
This is blatantly wrong
The Character Sheet is by a TTRPG writer covering news.
"The Character Sheet on ComicBook.com" is the full channel name. It is owned or operated by that website as its gaming news outlet as not all comic book audience is interested in gaming news, though there is obviously an overlap. Be as agressive as you want, but at least have your facts straight when you do, as Hoffer has often mentioned the connection the channel has to the website, most recently with the guy WotC turned down for the Dragonlance TV show, and he wound up replacing Howie Mandel on a Survivor meets Deal or No Deal TV "game show".

TCS is reporting weekly on Critical Role viewership numbers dropping.

Check your resources a little better.
:)

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads