D&D General D&D, magic, and the mundane medieval

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still don’t know what a rotisserie campaign is…
Allow me to share my definition with you! A rotisserie campaign is one of a series of limited campaigns which have nothing to do with one another. It's a term derived from "rotisserie baseball", where people take turns picking baseball players to form a fictional team. Here different people pick different scenarios to run. A perfectly valid way to play that I'm not strongly enamored with.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Allow me to share my definition with you! A rotisserie campaign is one of a series of limited campaigns which have nothing to do with one another. It's a term derived from "rotisserie baseball", where people take turns picking baseball players to form a fictional team. Here different people pick different scenarios to run. A perfectly valid way to play that I'm not strongly enamored with.
Huh.

Okay. I enjoy a good short story campaign. I’m going to start one soon in order to playtest the new UA stuff with some continuity so we get real play experiences, not just quick fights with no meat in between.

I don’t recommend it as a primary mode of play, but I suppose there is a person for every preference.

jasper

Rotten DM
Thanks. I love how language is different in other parts of the net. My language. Module. A one shot adventure taking under 8 hours but generally 4 hours. See the 16 to 32 page dungeons put out during 1E or the seasonal adventures which tie with the hardcovers. Adventure those hard cover canned adventures. Campaign the whole kit of what ever a DM runs. The campaign only ends when the DM dies.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
So, basically, the table is hostage to your preferences? And you don't see any problem here?
If the group insisted on playing Dragonlance with orcs, I would either not play or play and be irritated about it. Hopefully the former. The table isn't hostage to my preferences. I or them can always walk away if an accord can't be reached.

If the group insisted on playing Dragonlance with orcs, I would either not play or play and be irritated about it. Hopefully the former. The table isn't hostage to my preferences. I or them can always walk away if an accord can't be reached.
How would you feel about Dragonlance with Giff? :angel:

Okay, but you’re replying to me, and I’ve been arguing that it doesn’t make sense to imagine a world where the player options exist and PCs can use them and have all the available backgrounds (minus setting specific ones), where personal magic is also very rare.

Because it takes generations upon generations of mathematicians sharing knowledge, learning in schools and by way of tutors, ie it requires mathematicians not being very rare, to produce Isaac Newton. So even if we absurdly assume that the PC wizard is the only wizard in the world, or one of 5 globally, there has to be something less than a wizard proper who can cast some basic spells and understands enough fundamentals to teach them to kid wizard.

That isn’t a coherent world, IMO.
The classic reflection in PC terms would be the Rogue who has a high Intelligence and Expertise in Arcana, but no spells. They probably know more about magic than the party Wizard but don't have the spark needed to be able to actually cast spells.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
How would you feel about Dragonlance with Giff? :angel:
If it was clear that they were from wildspace, I could see it. They would still be subject to shock and fear from most folks (just like orcs would be), and the player would need to be prepared for those reactions.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
The classic reflection in PC terms would be the Rogue who has a high Intelligence and Expertise in Arcana, but no spells. They probably know more about magic than the party Wizard but don't have the spark needed to be able to actually cast spells.
Sure, but IMO it doesn’t match up with the rest of the game, and the Arcana, Nature, and Religion, skills should have magical things you can do with them. Like detect magic and identify should have the same relationship with them as knock has with thieves tools, at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads