D&D, Miniatures, and you.

(How) are you using official D&D Minis

• Skirmish: I'm a D&D Champion!

Votes: 0 0.0%

tvknight415

Explorer
Did the DDM thing for a bit for NPC's/monsters, but it just got too dang expensive. So I switched to counters from Fiery Dragon. Use painted metal minis for PC's, but keep a few plasticrack around for newbies and what not, and also for certain NPCs.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I use a battlemap on occasion, but not always.

I try to use specific minis for PCs. I sometimes use old metal minis, but of late I prefer to find a new metal mini from Reaper or the like for the job.

For monsters I use whatever is around, though I've strongly considered getting some counters for the purpose.

I've never bought any of WotC's DDM.

Oryan77

Adventurer
I use the plastic painted minis for my D&D game with a battlemat.

I'm a collector also. I need 1 from each set, and then I collect multiples depending on how many I would use in my D&D. When the Monster Manual says how many of a creature you may find together, I try to collect that amount.

Of course, when the monster travels in large packs, I don't collect 30 of each. At most, I'll take 10 of them. I do have about 14 Dire Wolves & 30 Timber Wolves because I needed them for a game. So if I have an adventure with a specific pack size, I'll collect that many :p

Corsair

First Post
The two DMs I play with each own a large number of metal minis. One of the DMs is also an avid painter. One of the players we play with owns some DDMs, so we'll use them occasionally. When I DM, I tend to stick to chess pieces and plastic monsters from HeroQuest.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Since I'm the guy harassing everyone about their opinions, I think I really should say something, too:

I use DDM almost exclusively. I have used metal minis for heroes in the past, but I'm not the best painter out there, and woudln't have the time to paint dozens and hundreds of figures, anyway. I'd rather use that time to actually play D&D, prepare D&D stuff, or hang out here with all the magnificent maniacs. :D
I have no problems substituting figures for other figures, but that gets increasingly less necessary.

I'm a completionist, with 2700+ figures. I get 3 cases of each set, and fill the rest on eBay (so I should beat the 3000 in a couple of weeks when Unhallowed gets here).

I have them in display cases from IKEA:
attachment.php

I play DDM Skirmish occasionally, and would play more often if I had someone to play with - though one player in my group might want to start playing (we made a couple of intro matches already, and he seemed to like it).

I would even play in tourneys and champonships if that didn't involve driving hundreds of kilometers. Unfortunately, none of the local stores runs anything.

Attachments

• 6vitrines.jpg
    6vitrines.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 250

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I don't use a battlemat, but I do use a chalkboard...does that count?

The DDM minis are handy for getting wierd stuff I might never otherwise bother with, and the occasional very useful mini...I can't count how many times the Cloud Giant (or is it Storm Giant?) piece has hit my table...but for pieces for actual PCs I prefer metal because I can see what I'm getting. (that said, I've very much come to appreciate the non-fragility of the plastic ones; I can just chuck 'em in a bag, rather than have to worry about padded storage boxes)

Side question: has anyone tried re-painting or touching up the plastic minis, and if so what kind of results did you get?

Edit - second side question: Kae'Yoss, how much did those display cases cost ya?

Lanefan

frankthedm

First Post
DDM, Mage Knights, Heroclix, Horrorclix, creapyfreaks, Dollar store toys, action figures, board game pieces, blobs of wax and others all make it onto my home made battle mats {Upholstery vinyl gridded using permanent marker and pegboard]
rgard said:
Actually $14.99 plus tax. Don't worry, some day some enterprising hero will make copies (steal somebody else's work) of the D&D plastic minis and sell them for a $1.00 at the dollar store.
I am patiently waiting for that! I managed to find the Mage Knight Rip offs at a Big Lots 15 miles from my house last week, though I heard about them years ago!

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Lanefan said:
Side question: has anyone tried re-painting or touching up the plastic minis, and if so what kind of results did you get?

If I recall correctly, Wizards has a whole subforum for that stuff.

Edit - second side question: Kae'Yoss, how much did those display cases cost ya?

They're €60 apiece, at least here. Ikea Canada lists them for $160 can. They're originally for CDs/DVDs.

Remove ads