D&D, Miniatures, and you.

(How) are you using official D&D Minis

• Skirmish: I'm a D&D Champion!

Votes: 0 0.0%

sjmiller

Explorer
Most of the DDM figures I want are from older sets and tend to be the rare figures from those sets. So, for the most part, I am looking at the high end of figure prices. Now, thankfully, I do not have to pay to have my metal figures painted, that's what friends and family are for! Be that as it may, I find most of the metal I want fairly cheap, whereas the DDM figures tend to be pricier. I am not saying the all are, just the ones I happen to want.

There's also the factor that the metal ones aren't all part of the "everything has a square area of influence" mindset that the DDM figures are required to have. That, to me at least, makes the metal more desirable than some, but not all, of the plastic ones.

Believe me, I am very appreciative of the pre-painted ones, but like the metal ones.

I have never been into miniatures. Only recently with the Cthulhu Horror Clix and the Alien Vs Predator Clix have they even slightly interested me. DDM miniatures have no interest for me, and i dont use a battle mat or Grid anyway. It slows down the game way too much when everyone takes twenty minutes trying to figure out the best possible position for their character.

At the last count (4 months ago) I was around 4500 DDM along with about 1500 metal / Games Workshop figures.

I am adicted and I am evil.

If I could find a personal shopper to assemble a non-randomized collection for me, I'd probably buy into it. As it is, although I use a battlemat and have pretty much since I first started gaming, I've amassed a sufficient collection of metal minis to function. Under no circumstances am I interested in 'collectible' bits of mass-produced plastic,. I wouldn't refuse to play the skirmish game(s) if the opportunity arose, I don't really feel like I'm missing out by not playing it, either.

diaglo

Adventurer
i hate... yes the word hate... the random nature of the plasticrap. i also hate the poor paint jobs. i also hate the material used for the cost.

bag of 100 random plastic army men at the Dollar Store = USD 1 plus tax.

box of 8 randoms = USD 12.99 plus tax.

Voadam

Legend
I use a mat or maps when I play and use whatever is handy, be they dice, printed out counters, old metal minis, or DDM that a player in my game (my brother) brings. I don't own any DDM though I have bought a bunch as gifts for my brother who plays DDM games at his work during his lunch break, owns a ton, and gets very into repainting/resculpting them.

I no longer buy minis of any kind, though I do sometimes buy pdf counter collections.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Lockridge said:
I do find it interesting that you used the word "old" in your list to describe metal minis.

Well, metal minis were there first. Weren't thy? The original Chainmail was metal minis, yes? The DDM line, on the other hand, is relatively new.

That's why I use old and new. I wasn't calling anyone here old, grampa! :p ;)

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
Kae'Yoss said:
Well, metal minis were there first. Weren't thy? The original Chainmail was metal minis, yes? The DDM line, on the other hand, is relatively new.

That's why I use old and new. I wasn't calling anyone here old, grampa! :p ;)

On the other hand, it's potentially confusing to someone who doesn't know that background information - if you're new to tabletop gaming, Warmachine minis that actually look like they have a design aesthetic from later than 1995 probably look more "new" than D&D minis; ditto Anima Tactics boxed sets, where available, and those actually did launch more recently.

rgard

Adventurer
diaglo said:
i hate... yes the word hate... the random nature of the plasticrap. i also hate the poor paint jobs. i also hate the material used for the cost.

bag of 100 random plastic army men at the Dollar Store = USD 1 plus tax.

box of 8 randoms = USD 12.99 plus tax.

Actually $14.99 plus tax. Don't worry, some day some enterprising hero will make copies (steal somebody else's work) of the D&D plastic minis and sell them for a $1.00 at the dollar store.

diaglo

Adventurer
rgard said:
Actually $14.99 plus tax. Don't worry, some day some enterprising hero will make copies (steal somebody else's work) of the D&D plastic minis and sell them for a $1.00 at the dollar store.
doh. the price went up.

Remove ads