D&D Miniatures: First impressions

ced1106

Explorer
(Also posted on RPG.net.)

Went to the FLGS today and checked out the miniatures for the D&D game. For $20, the D&D miniatures set comes with 16 miniatures (1 rare, 5 uncommon, 10 common), cardboard dungeon terrain, miniature stat cards, rulebook, and a d20.

Contrary to the advertisement paintjobs, the productiong miniatures look terrible. They're small and have iffy paint jobs. Definitely better than the mud-jobs of the first MageKnight figures, and Star Wars Duel miniatures -- but not much. Of the 10+ miniatures I looked at, only two reached MageKnight quality: An orc, and a skeleton wolf. (Well, that's what the figure's base said. Coinsidering its size, I'd put it more as a skeleton wardog.) Despite being Chainmail sculpts, the rest looked like those figurines you'd find on your kid's birthday cake. For those who played Star Wars Duel, my **guess** is that the miniatures were produced and painted by the same company. Cross your fingers that the figures will improve.

The cardboard dungeon terrain was the best part. My problem with most other cardboard dungeons is that I have to cut them out, and store a larger number of odd-sized pieces. The D&D terrain comes in modular rectangles, of similar size, larger than an index card. The seem easy to handle and organize. If the FLGS sells them separately, I'm buying them!

Stat cards are between the size of a small and large post-it pad. One size has D&D rpg stats, the other has D&D minis stats. I only skimmed through the fast play rules, but it looks like a d20+skill roll. The rules have a interestinng mechanics where Command units add bonuses to miniatures.

The package also comes with a blank grid map. On the reverse of the map are cut-out spell templates. I never did like paper templates, myself.

My two bits: Keep telling the MageKnight player to bring his figs to the D&D game.

Cedric.
aka. Washu! ^O^

Mapmaker

First Post
Curious. I just saw a review on another message board by someone who has been thoroughly and vocally unimpressed by the photos that have been circulating and had no intentions of buying into the line, recently saw a starter pack, and was pleased enough by the surprisingly-good quality of the miniatures that he has completely changed his tune.

My experience so far has supported this notion; I've got 4 of the miniatures (the blackguard, lizardman, elf ranger, and orc archer) and all of them are better than I had expected from the promotional artwork available on various websites. Good enough that I preordered some starters and boosters.

There is some variation in quality, of course. The orc isn't nearly as good, paint-wise, as the lizardman. The lizardman, though, is remarkably good. I can't wait for the opportunity to use it in a game.

Wombat

First Post
I saw them and my impression is, "Shouldn't these things be priced cheaper due to A) being plastic, B) having a questionable paintjob and C) being utterly random in what you get?"

No, very, very unimpressed.

Then again, that was what I anticipated, so YMMV, usw. ;)

d4

First Post
well, they are cheaper than unpainted, unassembled pewter miniatures. especially when you factor in the cost in primer, paints, brushes, glue, and time it would take to get the pewter fig ready for the gaming table.

the price point seems pretty darn good to me.

d4

First Post
one other point about plastics being "cheaper."

i don't know about the plastics these figs are made out of, but for other kinds of plastic miniatures, for example Games Workshop plastic figs, it actually costs more money to manufacture those plastics than it does pewter figs. something to do with needing different kinds of molds or something.

so plastic does not always mean cheaper than metal.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
d4 said:
one other point about plastics being "cheaper."

i don't know about the plastics these figs are made out of, but for other kinds of plastic miniatures, for example Games Workshop plastic figs, it actually costs more money to manufacture those plastics than it does pewter figs. something to do with needing different kinds of molds or something.

so plastic does not always mean cheaper than metal.

Ummm, yes and no. An injection mold is machined out of metal to withstand a great deal more pressure than a rubber RTV mold undergoes. Machining an injection mold is a painstaking and laborius task, as a probe goes over every bit of a 3 times scale buildup of the model. One of the annoyances for making the mold is that there can be no 'overhang', or indentations along the sides of the model, as this will prevent the model from being removed from the mold, a problem pliable RTV rubber molds do not share. Early injection molds were 'flats', which is to say the two halves of the mold met in a flat surface. (This is why the early GW pastics looked so 2 dimensional.) The current technique follows along an edge of the pices, allowing a more three dimensional casting, at the cost of a more complicated mold. Companies with greater resources, such as Revel, can afford yet more complex molds, which allows the use of sliding panels to create overhangs, yet allow the model to be removed from the mold.

However, the cost of the plastic itself is much, much, much lower than the pewter used in metallic figure. (Literally pennies per frame.)

So, if you were only making one kit, the model would go for several thousand dollars. On the other hand if you are making a few millions of the suckers you can average the cost over each frame, bringing the price down over a long run.

So, in the case of Games Workshop the human sized figures, which each player will buy many of, pays for itself a lot faster than a tank, which a player will only need a very few of. Even at the rather small job lots that GW turns out the human sized figures are a bit overpriced, being about half again to double what a plastic component of the same size lot would be priced at by most companies.

I am not familiar with the soft plasic used in Mage Knight and the D&D ine of figures, but I believe they are cast at relatively low temperature and pressure, not requiring quite as expensive a mold. I also believe, though I have no absolute proof of this, that the models are the same size as the originals. Probably somwhere between the two in price.

Myself, I did not much like either the figures or the paintjobs that I saw as samples, and hate the random packaging. Though I will say WotC surprised me by listening to the complaints about the randomness, and is packaging some of the more common critters in sets. So we will see.

The Auld Grump

Last edited:

Olive

Explorer
Wombat said:
I saw them and my impression is, "Shouldn't these things be priced cheaper due to A) being plastic, B) having a questionable paintjob and C) being utterly random in what you get?"

Cheaper? Than what?!?!?!? These are the cheapest way to get minis bar none.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases