D&D Miniatures: First impressions

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Unless you want a particular mini, or don't need 6 more Goblins, sure...

I wish you people would give it a rest already - do you really think any store would carry 80 different packs of individual minis, and that they would always be in stock?

Sheesh.

Wombat

First Post
trancejeremy said:
I wish you people would give it a rest already - do you really think any store would carry 80 different packs of individual minis, and that they would always be in stock?

Sheesh.

Actually, yes I would.

But then again, I am used to dealing with miniatures shops and wargaming shops, as opposed to RPG shops, for picking up minis.

And if minis end up at $5 for a 28mm figure, I will not buy it. I can get them far, far cheaper. Of course, I also like minis with sensible sized weapons and sensible armour, so I pick up a lot of mainstream historical (Medieval/Renaissance) minis, which are far cheaper than the Name Brand RPG Minis.

Oh well, different strokes for different folks.

Rugger

Explorer
I paint my own minis.

And I like these things.

I was checking out all of them at Gencon, and you know, they are a lot nicer than throwing little markers or unpainted minis out on the table. :)

The Big guys look to have better paintjobs, as to the "non-clothed" ones. The lizard man looks great, but many of the "PC" mini's are lacking...but could easily be cleaned up in 30 minutes of painting...

I'm sold on em. I plan to buy them....if they ever reach Vermont...

-Rugger
"I Miniature!"

Last edited:

Gallo22

First Post
Rugger said:
I paint my own minis.

And I like these things.

I was checking out all of them at Gencon, and you know, they are a lot nicer than throwing little markers or unpainted minis out on the table. :)

Actually I really like the markers that they have been putting out in dragon. The first few sets being the best of them. The latter ones by Pazio have been alright but the quality has gone down. Anyway..., I photo copied them full color at copy stores, then glue them on the 1" circle wood chips you can get at craft stores. No, they are not miniatures, but when your fighting 10 hobgoblins, I have 10 to put out there and everyone knows what they are.

I've seen the new figs from Hasbro and, with the except of a few, I think they are pretty poor in quality. I'll keep with my "little markers" and bargin bins of Mage Knight minis for $0.50 each that you can now find everywhere.

Next year when Hasbro has saturated the stores with these plastic thingys, I'll pick the ones I like up in the bargin bins as well. You wait and see.

Gallo22

Omand

Hero
Gallo22 said:
Actually I really like the markers that they have been putting out in dragon. The first few sets being the best of them. The latter ones by Pazio have been alright but the quality has gone down. Anyway..., I photo copied them full color at copy stores, then glue them on the 1" circle wood chips you can get at craft stores. No, they are not miniatures, but when your fighting 10 hobgoblins, I have 10 to put out there and everyone knows what they are.

I've seen the new figs from Hasbro and, with the except of a few, I think they are pretty poor in quality. I'll keep with my "little markers" and bargin bins of Mage Knight minis for $0.50 each that you can now find everywhere.

Next year when Hasbro has saturated the stores with these plastic thingys, I'll pick the ones I like up in the bargin bins as well. You wait and see.

Gallo22

Hello,

I agree that the tokens published in Dungeon are a great game aid. As you say, the first few sets (when they were round) were much better than the later sets with square edges and less space between tokens when you were trying to cut. I created a large number of the tokens for use in my campaign by mounting printed copies (from a scan) on cardboard.

That said, I will likely be picking up the new minis once they are on the street. As I have no painting skill, they will save me time and effort (and money) compared to if I did things on my own. They will also be better (from my perspective) in terms of handling. When I had roughly 200 cardboard tokens to sort through to find what I needed it was just a pain. The new minis as 3-D objects will be much easier to identify and handle.

Of course, this is my opinion and yours may differ.

Cheers
:)

AeroDm

First Post
I also await the after market of the miniatures. If I cared more about minis I'd probably buy them upfront but we are abusive enough to ours that we'll stick with HeroQuest for the now. From what I've seen the paint jobs are about what you'd expect, being of not very good quality but overall decent. You aren't going to see much in the way of shading out there, but then again you don't have to paint them yourselves.

For me painting is just too damn time consuming/expensive/messy... so I like the idea. The randomization is more than a little annoying, but then they are marketing these as a tradeable game that they know RPGers will pick up for RPGs. Smart strategy, props to the corporate machine.

Unseelie

First Post
trancejeremy said:

Sheesh.

Find a better FLGS then, assuming you can. Perhaps I'm spoiled, but I have two good stores within 10 miles of me and both of them carry a large wall of minis. They'll also special order anything you tell them you want.

It's not that tough really...

Remove ads