D&D Movie/TV D&D Movie: Game of Thrones, Princess Bride, Holy Grail, The Goonies

Chris Pine, who stars in the upcoming (March 2023) Dungeons & Dragons movie has spoken about the film's influences in an interview with Collider (video below), describing it as 'poppy' and 'eighties heartfelt'. “Oh man. Well, what I will say is we had a hell of a fun time making it. There was a lot of laughs. The way that I've been describing it, it's like Game of Thrones mixed with a little...

Chris Pine, who stars in the upcoming (March 2023) Dungeons & Dragons movie has spoken about the film's influences in an interview with Collider (video below), describing it as 'poppy' and 'eighties heartfelt'.

“Oh man. Well, what I will say is we had a hell of a fun time making it. There was a lot of laughs. The way that I've been describing it, it's like Game of Thrones mixed with a little Princess Bride, just a smidge of Holy Grail; it's somewhere in that ballpark. It's a lot of fun. It's got a lot of thrills. It's poppy, it's eighties heartfelt, there's a bit of Goonies in there. My character, he's the ultimate party planner. I think it's going to be really good. I mean, who naughty word knows, but I think we got a good shot and John and John are killer guys. They know comedy and they know heart and we had a great cast and we had a good time making it. And that's all you can ask for.”

The movie also stars Hugh Grant as the bad guy, along with Michelle Rodriguez, Justice Smith, Sophia Lillis, and Regé-Jean Page.

He was hamming it up for a paycheck with a truly awful script and directed by a guy who had never even directed before.

These guys wrote Spiderman Far From Home and directed Game Night (among several other movies). Heck John Daley (one of the writers/directors) even has writing credit on Rime of the Frostmaiden.

You can be negative if you like, but this movie has serious talent in front of AND behind the screen PLUS it actually has a real Hollywood movie budget - Hasbro/WoTC is putting their best foot forward here.
N which part of my comment was i critiquing the script or director? I was commenting on the fact that "a talented cast" doesn't mean anything. Oh, and how do you know that Chris Pine isn't hamming it up for a paycheck in this movie? Or that the script isn't utter dreck? Oh, that's right, you don't.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
N which part of my comment was i critiquing the script or director? I was commenting on the fact that "a talented cast" doesn't mean anything. Oh, and how do you know that Chris Pine isn't hamming it up for a paycheck in this movie? Or that the script isn't utter dreck? Oh, that's right, you don't.

Nope no idea,

except this has all the earmarks of a well put together movie where the directors wouldn't tolerate that (but a novice director could get walked over).

But hate all you like.

Dausuul

Legend
Y'all are reading way, way too much into an actor expressing his feelings in what I assume was an unscripted interview.

Just because "Game of Thrones" was the example of epic fantasy he latched onto, and "Holy Grail" was the example of comedy, doesn't mean those comparisons hold up under scrutiny. They don't pay Chris Pine to do literary analysis.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Disagree. GoT and Holy Grail are on two opposite extremes of style. There's a whole lot of middle ground you're excluding.
I'm not excluding anything. This seems like a pretty odd thing to say, in this case.
My point is if you're going to use an example that falls on one extreme, then decide to go with that. Otherwise you end up with something bland that tries to be too much.
You are reading vastly too much into an easily understood example. Everyone who isn't overthinking it gets what he's saying.
GoT wouldn't nearly be the same or have the same impact if there was humor in every scene, and QftHG wouldn't be nearly the same if they put in parts of brutal non-joking rape scenes in between storming the castle in a giant bunny.
But saying that something is Game of Thrones meets Holy Grail isn't saying that. It's just saying that it has elements of both.

R_J_K75

Legend
Am I the only person in the world who liked it? It was compressed to the extreme, but without 3+ hrs to work with, it really has to be.
I bought it when it came out 2007ish? I have no other background in the setting, but I thought it was good. Keifer Sutherland and I think Lucy Lawless voiced characters, so it was good cast. You are correct it seemed as though parts were left out, the story was truncated or a sequel that never happened may have been planned. I enjoyed it. Based on my experiences in the world the last 5-10 years, people (myself included) have become overly critical at times.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'm less interested in another comedy D&D movie and more interested in some traditional swords and sorcery fantasy. But then, I guess the tone of Critical Role is probably more what they are going for.
Nah, more PG-13 than Critical Role. They called out Guardians of the Galaxy in the past for tonal goals.

Remove ads

Remove ads