D&D Movie/TV D&D Movie: Game of Thrones, Princess Bride, Holy Grail, The Goonies

Chris Pine, who stars in the upcoming (March 2023) Dungeons & Dragons movie has spoken about the film's influences in an interview with Collider (video below), describing it as 'poppy' and 'eighties heartfelt'. “Oh man. Well, what I will say is we had a hell of a fun time making it. There was a lot of laughs. The way that I've been describing it, it's like Game of Thrones mixed with a little...
Chris Pine, who stars in the upcoming (March 2023) Dungeons & Dragons movie has spoken about the film's influences in an interview with Collider (video below), describing it as 'poppy' and 'eighties heartfelt'.

“Oh man. Well, what I will say is we had a hell of a fun time making it. There was a lot of laughs. The way that I've been describing it, it's like Game of Thrones mixed with a little Princess Bride, just a smidge of Holy Grail; it's somewhere in that ballpark. It's a lot of fun. It's got a lot of thrills. It's poppy, it's eighties heartfelt, there's a bit of Goonies in there. My character, he's the ultimate party planner. I think it's going to be really good. I mean, who naughty word knows, but I think we got a good shot and John and John are killer guys. They know comedy and they know heart and we had a great cast and we had a good time making it. And that's all you can ask for.”

The movie also stars Hugh Grant as the bad guy, along with Michelle Rodriguez, Justice Smith, Sophia Lillis, and Regé-Jean Page.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Is it worth a re-watch?
I think it is, if you go in with the right expectations.
Mine is "the Devils Rain" with the ensemble cast of Bill Shatner, Ernie Borgnine, Vinnie Barbarino, Tom Skerrit and none other than Haight-Ashburys own demonologist Anton LeVay. Came across it on cable 3AM drunk on Scotch. Its worth a watch.
Oh, I definitely have to check that out!

R_J_K75

Legend
Expectations low won't be going opening weekend. I'll see what the reception is like first.
Not so much low expectations for me as in I know this is the last chance for a representative movie in my lifetime. I think theres alot of potential for a franchise where each movie is a different tone such as every table/campaign/adventure is different.

So literally the entire spectrum of movie tones. He literally said the entire scale. Thanks for that worthless bit of information I guess?

sigh This is why it annoys me that they always interview actors and directors but never the writers who actually know wtf they are talking about.
That's literally the entire point of interviewing the actor rather than the writer - so they don't give too much away.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Disagree. GoT and Holy Grail are on two opposite extremes of style. There's a whole lot of middle ground you're excluding. My point is if you're going to use an example that falls on one extreme, then decide to go with that. Otherwise you end up with something bland that tries to be too much.

GoT wouldn't nearly be the same or have the same impact if there was humor in every scene, and QftHG wouldn't be nearly the same if they put in parts of brutal non-joking rape scenes in between storming the castle in a giant bunny.
Its a smidge of Holy Grail, its not as if they are blending, its just sprinkling some humor and silliness in

im more excited about the Princess Bride and Goonies influence

Last edited:

Game of Thrones seems out of place among that list of influences, but I would guess it’s only there because it’s a name the press will recognize as “successful fantasy IP.” Otherwise, sounds like a fun time, which I think is the best that we could reasonably hope for.

It could be as simply the movie has Dragons and plotting nobles with thristing for power, not the grim dark tone of Game of Thrones.

I see the message they are sending is "Go with your children to the cinema to watch this movie, and you will "enjoy as dwarves" (=have fun very much).

Have said nothing about dragons, monsters or supernatural creatures? It sounds like a fantasy version of Indiana Jones, but really the dungeon crawling was this.

Remove ads

Remove ads