D&D Movie/TV D&D Movie: Game of Thrones, Princess Bride, Holy Grail, The Goonies

Chris Pine, who stars in the upcoming (March 2023) Dungeons & Dragons movie has spoken about the...

Chris Pine, who stars in the upcoming (March 2023) Dungeons & Dragons movie has spoken about the film's influences in an interview with Collider (video below), describing it as 'poppy' and 'eighties heartfelt'.

“Oh man. Well, what I will say is we had a hell of a fun time making it. There was a lot of laughs. The way that I've been describing it, it's like Game of Thrones mixed with a little Princess Bride, just a smidge of Holy Grail; it's somewhere in that ballpark. It's a lot of fun. It's got a lot of thrills. It's poppy, it's eighties heartfelt, there's a bit of Goonies in there. My character, he's the ultimate party planner. I think it's going to be really good. I mean, who naughty word knows, but I think we got a good shot and John and John are killer guys. They know comedy and they know heart and we had a great cast and we had a good time making it. And that's all you can ask for.”

The movie also stars Hugh Grant as the bad guy, along with Michelle Rodriguez, Justice Smith, Sophia Lillis, and Regé-Jean Page.

I rewatched Game Night when I noticed it was on TV last week. It reminded me why I’m pretty excited for this.

I wouldn’t read too much into the response in the video. It seemed to me a slightly insulting way to frame the question in the first place which is never going to lead to a great response.

Game of Thrones meets Monty Python’s Holy Grail is a pretty common way to explain D&D in general.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I do NOT want a funny Dungeons & Dragons Movie. I don't give a &^%$ about how people talk to each other at their gaming sessions. I want something DARK! I want a movie that looks like those paintings on the covers of those &^%$%^# books from the 70s and 80s! I want parents and religious leaders to FEAR this game again, all due to what is shown in the film! Make it forbidden fruit that brings forbidden knowledge!
Dude. The game that we're talking about is the same one that has the setting Spelljammer in it. You know, the one with the flightless merchant penguins that ride flying pigs in outer-space battles.

No D&D movie ever should be 100% serious. Including a Dark Sun or Ravenloft movie. Humor is practically as essential to the core of the game as dice are.

Even in Ravenloft there is some little space for the humor.

WoD is enough dark, more Wraith: the Oblivion, or if you want d20 setting, then you can enjoy "Midnight" by Fantasy Flight Games.

TTRPG are like the construction toys, they sell you the pieces and a blueprint, but you create you want. Ones want a thing, and other a different style.

Remove ads

Remove ads