D&D Movie/TV D&D Movie: Game of Thrones, Princess Bride, Holy Grail, The Goonies

Chris Pine, who stars in the upcoming (March 2023) Dungeons & Dragons movie has spoken about the film's influences in an interview with Collider (video below), describing it as 'poppy' and 'eighties heartfelt'. “Oh man. Well, what I will say is we had a hell of a fun time making it. There was a lot of laughs. The way that I've been describing it, it's like Game of Thrones mixed with a little...

Chris Pine, who stars in the upcoming (March 2023) Dungeons & Dragons movie has spoken about the film's influences in an interview with Collider (video below), describing it as 'poppy' and 'eighties heartfelt'.

“Oh man. Well, what I will say is we had a hell of a fun time making it. There was a lot of laughs. The way that I've been describing it, it's like Game of Thrones mixed with a little Princess Bride, just a smidge of Holy Grail; it's somewhere in that ballpark. It's a lot of fun. It's got a lot of thrills. It's poppy, it's eighties heartfelt, there's a bit of Goonies in there. My character, he's the ultimate party planner. I think it's going to be really good. I mean, who naughty word knows, but I think we got a good shot and John and John are killer guys. They know comedy and they know heart and we had a great cast and we had a good time making it. And that's all you can ask for.”

The movie also stars Hugh Grant as the bad guy, along with Michelle Rodriguez, Justice Smith, Sophia Lillis, and Regé-Jean Page.

We should remember thanks Michael Bay Transformers as franchise returned to the life, or it became more popular than ever. Money wasn't lost, and Hasbro could sell those toys again. Today the market strategy is the multimedia franchises, when an IP is used to sell different type of products: comics, videogames, toys, shirts, merchandising...

And this could open new doors for past lines, for example Ravenloft and Dark Sun, or forgotten IPs to be recycled to become part of D&D universe, for example Visionaries, but without humans only but also other races/lineages.

ctorus

Explorer
So they made a comedy D&D movie. Almost certainly going to be abysmal (because most comedy movies are), but I suppose we should give it a chance. TBH D&D as played has always had a strong humorous aspect, at least in all the games I've ever seen, so perhaps it fits. Can't say I'm particularly excited about this however.

Tallifer

Hero
If it is funny like the best of Doctor Who, then I am all for it. I think the quality of the actors (think Tom Baker or Peter Capaldi) and writing (think Terry Gilliam) matters for humour.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Not exactly. They've been saying from the start that tonally, it will be in the ballpark of Guardians of the Galaxy. Which, while including tons of humor, is an action film that flits between seriousness with a serious plot and humor.
so the only question that matters is can they pull it off?

Money means that you get MORE. Without money, you don’t get a Bumblebee movie. You don’t get a pretty good Netflix cartoon for Transformers. So on and so forth.

It’s so easy to turn up your nose and poo poo money but without that money, Star Wars is a forgotten cult flick. DnD goes away. Star Trek dies in the sixties.

Sorry but I’d much much rather have a Bay level financially successful DnD movie than some “good” movie that no one watches.
Obviously there's a bit of a gradient in play here, and I get that there's an argument here for a rising tide raises all ships.

With that in mind, the difficulty of getting 'more' with no peg to quality is that you can just get 'more' garbage. The first Bay Transformers movie was so successful that we got 2 (3?, 4?) more Bay Transformer movies before we got Bumblebee.

If the D&D movie is successful in that way, I'd consider it a monkey's paw kind of "success".

Vaalingrade

Legend
Not exactly. They've been saying from the start that tonally, it will be in the ballpark of Guardians of the Galaxy. Which, while including tons of humor, is an action film that flits between seriousness with a serious plot and humor.
Thank god.

We've suffered through two decades of pizzacutters (all edge no point) dominating every part of the non-Marvel nerdspace.

I cast thee out darkness. Go back to the sad kid's black and white composition book.

There has somehow not been a non-animated Superman movie where he gets to be Superman in my lifetime. And I'm ancient!

Remove ads

Remove ads