D&D Movie/TV D&D Movie Plot Revealed

Nebulous

Legend
If they don't include a scene that has the party arguing over a) who draws the map, b) who keeps track of the burned-out torches, and c) why 'we have to have the damn torches at all because 5 of the 6 members have Darkvision but oh, no, the human Paladin just had to stick along so we can't even steal stuff in his presence' I'll be disappointed.

D&D is all about clever methods of murder, crazy stunts, and petty arguments. Not drama. Not emotion. Not heroism. It's about weird murderhobo shenanigans.

I don't see the movie succeeding unless they take my advice. :cool:

I want this movie made now.

"In the heat of battle the barbarian wove a tapestry of obscenities that as far as we know is still hanging in space over the Moonsea."

I would love a "Christmas Story"-esque narrator through the whole movie. Play it as a comedy to separate it from all the other wannabe LotR stuff we got recently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
"In the heat of battle the barbarian wove a tapestry of obscenities that as far as we know is still hanging in space over the Moonsea."

"Aha, the Bumpus Dire Wolves! Da-da-da-da-da-daah! Those hillbilly goblins, the Bumpuses, had over 785 smelly Dire Wolves, and they ignored every other human being on earth except my old man!"

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Other parts of that film could be modified, too...

Ricky Run-far the Ranger: I want a divinely blessed, long-reach, lightning composite longbow!
Oracle: You'll shoot your eye out, kid.

Inchoroi

Adventurer
It has to be an action comedy romp like Pirates of the Caribbean but I just don't see how it can work without it tying back to a group of people playing a game.

From the various tag-lines during interviews, this is the most likely; I believe it was Guardians of the Galaxy in D&D-land, or some such nonsense. I, for one, think it'll be watchable if it goes with that route, but I'd be disappointed and annoyed if it did the "cut to players" thing. The Gamers: Dorkness Rising did it, and did it well--but that was the point of the movie, to show the interpersonal relationships of the players, not the story they're playing (even though the story would be interesting if we got the whole thing, which we really didn't).

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
At this point I'm hoping for something like Guardians of the Galaxy but in a fantasy setting. It seem to hit the right mix of humor, action, heart, and sheer ridiculousness that I would expect from a D&D campaign.

I mean, the main character(Woo is totally a Bard) challenged the big bad to a dance off at the climax of the movie. The fact that it was successful with mainstream audiences still surprises me a bit.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
From the various tag-lines during interviews, this is the most likely; I believe it was Guardians of the Galaxy in D&D-land, or some such nonsense. I, for one, think it'll be watchable if it goes with that route, but I'd be disappointed and annoyed if it did the "cut to players" thing. The Gamers: Dorkness Rising did it, and did it well--but that was the point of the movie, to show the interpersonal relationships of the players, not the story they're playing (even though the story would be interesting if we got the whole thing, which we really didn't).

I'd forgotten that tidbit. But really I think they'll be missing the plot if they don't acknowledge that it's based on a game. You know it would be a great tweak at the end, during the credits, if they cut to a scene of the actors (that starred in the movie) sitting around a table with dice and character sheets talking about some awesome scenes in the movie. That might be enough of a tie-in to satisfy me (and my needs are important apparently ;) ) I.e. this was a movie dramatization of their campaign.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I'd forgotten that tidbit. But really I think they'll be missing the plot if they don't acknowledge that it's based on a game. You know it would be a great tweak at the end, during the credits, if they cut to a scene of the actors (that starred in the movie) sitting around a table with dice and character sheets talking about some awesome scenes in the movie. That might be enough of a tie-in to satisfy me (and my needs are important apparently ;) ) I.e. this was a movie dramatization of their campaign.
I have no interest in that. I really think it might be best done on cable, as a series. But I remain hopeful we get a good movie

Inchoroi

Adventurer

I could maybe see a end-of-credits thing, but I'd not be that into it, anyway.

Remove ads