D&D Movie Takes Cues From GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY

We already know that the new Dungeons & Dragon movie, being produced by the producer of the LEGO movie, is going to be set in the Forgotten Realms. Producer Roy Lee said, while at DICE 2016, that it will have a tone akin to Guardians of the Galaxy. "This new Dungeons & Dragons will be a Guardians of the Galaxy-tone movie in a Tolkien-like universe. Because when you think of all the Hobbit movies and The Lord of the Rings, they have an earnestness to them, and to see something fun, a Raiders romp inside that world, I feel is something the audience has not seen before."

Screen Shot 2016-02-23 at 18.13.08.png

There's more info in this article on Collider, but the pertinent facts are:

• The movie will take place entirely in the realm rather than having people transported from our world into the realm.
  • The Yawning Portal will feature prominently and “it’s going to be one of people’s favorite set pieces.”
  • It's an ensemble piece.
  • Scriptwriter Leslie Johnson says "I believe they see Dungeons & Dragons as something that could be cultivated as a multi-universe movie where there will be spinoffs from the first movie being in Forgotten Realms and subsequent movies being in different worlds."
That last item is interesting. Different worlds? A Dragonlance or Ravenloft movie, perhaps?

Marius Delphus

Adventurer
Yes, they did. But there's a difference between a determined effort to make one character "the comic relief" and a determined effort to write wryly self-aware characters into inherently ridiculous but still serious situations that they can quip about but still act seriously toward. Not that GOTG was high art. But the screenwriting was orders of magnitude better.

Funny, Guardians director James Gunn just posted a lengthy Facebook rant on how Hollywood sees a successful film like Guardians (and now Deadpool) and everyone thinks if they can just copy that magic formula their own movie will be a success. And now we hear the D&D movie is going to copy the magic formula from Guardians....

An excerpt from Gunn's post below (some of the rest is NSFW):

After every movie smashes records people here in Hollywood love to throw out the definitive reasons why the movie was a hit. I saw it happen with Guardians. It "wasn't afraid to be fun" or it "was colorful and funny" etc etc etc. And next thing I know I hear of a hundred film projects being set up "like Guardians," and I start seeing dozens of trailers exactly like the Guardians trailer with a big pop song and a bunch of quips. Ugh.
Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.

https://www.facebook.com/jgunn/posts/10153162287591157

Marius Delphus

Adventurer
Looked at charitably, the reference to GOTG (and Raiders of the Lost Ark) could simply indicate that the filmmakers are seeking a change in tone from what's gone before, not necessarily to lift the "formula" (whatever that is) intact from another film. Gunn is (presumably) right in that the "money" in Hollywood tends to flow toward projects with something "bankable," whether that's pedigree, star power, or formula. I think he's also right to decry the notion (that is apparently in some investors' heads) that all a future film has to do is simply copy the Guardians or Deadpool "formula" (again, whatever that is) to be successful.

So filmmakers will continue to talk about their films in terms of what's gone before to make investors (and the movie-going public) feel less insecure about spending money on their movie, but hopefully, like Gunn says, they will also look to their own vision and not to rote copying of what's gone before in search of a "surefire thing."

I say we wait and see. This may just be Hollywood-ese, shorthand for the idea that a lot of fantasy films are dire and serious in tone, and that the D&D movie team is looking instead for a film that is more "wahoo" and adventurous.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Still think they will do it as an animation movie, just do not see this being done in any other format. Fantasy movie cannot be successful at the box office, they just do not appeal to the general public, unless done as an animation.

The Mermaid may be an fluke :) but having not seen it not sure.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Willow has been the best D&D movie to date and to me got the right mix of useless level 1 magicuser, irreverent humour and story intensity.

Guardians was good too

and does Multiverse mean Spelljammers!!!

Hand of Evil, did you not hear of The Lord of the Rings?

The public doesn't like mediocre fantasy movies. Get Tolkien to write it, and you're good. Ask me to do it, and it'll tank.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
I can't wait for the Ranger, the central character, to play the mix tape his mom gave him before she died.

In D&D 2 we found out he is half-celestial.

Xavian Starsider

First Post
Funny, Guardians director James Gunn just posted a lengthy Facebook rant on how Hollywood sees a successful film like Guardians (and now Deadpool) and everyone thinks if they can just copy that magic formula their own movie will be a success. And now we hear the D&D movie is going to copy the magic formula from Guardians....

I understand the concern, but am willing to give it the benefit of the doubt. Yes, there's an obvious correlation but GOTG did not invent humorous ensemble films.

The description says they ARE trying to break the formula of fantasy films like Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. And that was Gunn's point. That you imitate GOTG by breaking the formula; not adhering to it.

That doesn't mean you have to change every part however. That path leads to madness.

But an ensemble fantasy movie with quirky surprising "heroes" and over the top action? I haven't seen this yet in the fantasy genre. How To Train Your Dragon comes closest. And the humor in that movie hit every note perfectly.

Xavian Starsider

First Post

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases