D&D 5E D&D needs more armors

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
What's "getting real-world stuff right"?

I think that there should be more types of warrior cultures to base equipment off of. Even Pathfinder doesn't have a Polynesian-themed culture that I can take inspiration from for gameplay.
This is why I want less detailed-out equipment. Give me something like 13th Age where I have a one handed martial weapon, and I can define it as per any in-world culture, be it based on something real-world like Polynesian, or high fantasy. Without any risk that because I haven't chosen the "best in class" options and will be nerfing myself.

d24454_modern

Explorer
This is why I want less detailed-out equipment. Give me something like 13th Age where I have a one handed martial weapon, and I can define it as per any in-world culture, be it based on something real-world like Polynesian, or high fantasy. Without any risk that because I haven't chosen the "best in class" options and will be nerfing myself.
Ehh, that feels like a gamist complaint. Just do it. It makes gameplay far more interesting.

Blue

Ehh, that feels like a gamist complaint. Just do it. It makes gameplay far more interesting.
Please explain how "just do it" allows a player to have a polynesian weapon in Pathfinder without any defined by rules or DM? And hopefully without a response that comes across as condescendingly dismissive.

d24454_modern

Explorer
Please explain how "just do it" allows a player to have a polynesian weapon in Pathfinder without any defined by rules or DM? And hopefully without a response that comes across as condescendingly dismissive.
What are you talking about? They used spears, axes, and other things already in the system.

I'm more worried about being a Fighter without armor. I can always be a Barbarian, but it doesn't feel appropriate.

Blue

What are you talking about? They used spears, axes, and other things already in the system.
Sorry, I typed weapons and meant armor. I see why your confusion - I kept referencing the opposite of what you were talking about.

It's true for both weapons and armor that there are some cultures not covered. 13th Age just has armor categories so it can be appropriately skinned and flavored. And interestingly different classes get more or less out of armors such as paladins are better then clerics with Heavy Armor. More granular than just the boolean proficiency or not.

Remove ads