D&D 5E D&D Needs New Settings

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I still think a War of the Pantheons is a way to go.

HAVE ODIN AND ZEUS FIGHT GODS DAMNIT!!!

Everyone loves a crusade meme.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
I would like to see a complete feywild setting.
It could be fun to have a setting where the season determines which "world" you're in. So there's a period around each solstice or equinox where things shift and realign. Winter is scary not just because it's cold, but because that turns the world into the Shadowfell. Do something like...

Spring: 13A's Overworld, maybe? Everything is BRIGHT and GROWING, which is a boon but also a curse as plants can grow out of control, animals (some of them dangerous) just pop into existence, etc.
Summer: Feywild. The Sun is at its height, and saturates the world with magic. Less spontaneous generation, more "every living thing is magical."
Fall: Mortal world. The magic begins to bleed away, leaving a refreshingly ordinary place just in time for the harvest.
Winter: Shadowfell. Things have swung around to the opposite of Summer, the world is full of things that drain life and light and joy from it.

The various seasonal Courts aren't different powers taking over, though it can feel like it. They're literally the same fey lords, following the ever-changing yet ever-fixed cycle of the seasons.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
It could be fun to have a setting where the season determines which "world" you're in. So there's a period around each solstice or equinox where things shift and realign. Winter is scary not just because it's cold, but because that turns the world into the Shadowfell. Do something like...

Spring: 13A's Overworld, maybe? Everything is BRIGHT and GROWING, which is a boon but also a curse as plants can grow out of control, animals (some of them dangerous) just pop into existence, etc.
Summer: Feywild. The Sun is at its height, and saturates the world with magic. Less spontaneous generation, more "every living thing is magical."
Fall: Mortal world. The magic begins to bleed away, leaving a refreshingly ordinary place just in time for the harvest.
Winter: Shadowfell. Things have swung around to the opposite of Summer, the world is full of things that drain life and light and joy from it.

The various seasonal Courts aren't different powers taking over, though it can feel like it. They're literally the same fey lords, following the ever-changing yet ever-fixed cycle of the seasons.
I could see them do something like that and connecting it to how Eladrin work in 5e.

Aldarc

Legend
Psionic Eberron. Basically a world where instead of magic and artifice being their technology, psionics is their technology.
You can do this (somewhat) already in Eberron, but on the continent of Riedra.

I would also recommend the Third Dawn setting by Dreamscarred Press, made for both True20 and Pathfinder. Third Dawn is an entire setting built around the psionic classes/races (along with new ones) and what their society would look like in the absence of either arcane or divine magic. It's not necessarily Eberron levels of magitech artifice, but it's one of the few fantasy settings I know built around psionics.

Finally, just hire Chris Perkins to put his work into official form. Iomandra is AWESOME--it's a setting of dragon pirate princes, what's not to love? I'm dead certain whatever campaign worlds he came up with would be instant classics.
I'm also a fan of Iomandra. It was a nice alternate take on Nentir Vale or 4e's assumptions, but it could easily translate to 5e. I particularly liked that it put dungeons and dragons as a central focal point of the setting itself.

Dire Bare

Legend
I would say that "bland" is not a good way to describe Ravnica. I'm not a big fan of M:tG settings as D&D books, but I definitely would not call any setting that has demonic circus performers and boar-worshipping barbaric anarchists "bland."
Bland isn't a good word to describe ANY of the Magic settings, both those released for D&D and those that haven't yet.

Remove ads