D&D 5E D&D Needs New Settings

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Something more Planetary Romance/Science Fantasy, maybe?
Absolutely! That would be very fun. Who doesn't love fighting against expansionist empires in space? Except this time, the empire has bright colors and dashing "heroes" who see themselves as explorers, and there is tension within the empire between the greedy Guild Houses and a waning royal power and her loyalists (so you can be agood guy from the empire without having an edgelord backstory) and knights, set against a struggle by free peoples to stay free.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
A "prehistoric" setting could be cool. Like, with cavemen (Half-Orcs/Goliaths) riding Mammoths into battle against Reptids (Saurials/Lizardfolk/Tortles) riding on the backs of Dinosaurs.

The setting could have Primordials in their wars against Gods/demigods, using Elemental Titans against Empyreans/Angels, Krakens against Elder Elementals, and the Tarrasque against an Archomental. There could even be an outside incursion (the first Aberrations) that are a threat to the whole world that both sides seem to be ignoring.

What do you think?

Last edited:

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
A "prehistoric" setting could be cool. Like, with cavemen (Half-Orcs/Goliaths) riding Mammoths into battle against Reptids (Saurials/Lizardfolk) riding on the backs of Dinosaurs.

The setting could have Primordials in their wars against Gods/demigods, using Elemental Titans against Empyreans/Angels, Krakens against Elder Elementals, and the Tarrasque against an Archomental. There could even be an outside incursion (the first Aberrations) that are a threat to the whole world that both sides seem to be ignoring.

What do you think?
would be kind limiting class wise but have lots of old earth megafauna would be interesting at least if properly used.

a setting that properly uses monks would be nice.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
I'd like to see them release a setting in a new genre/sub-genre. As much as I like and have purchased some of the 3rd-party settings and the like out there, the advantage of WOTC doing one is that it would be supported in D&D Beyond, which my group uses a lot.

Off the top of my head, I guess I'd like to see a different historical era of fantasy, like Bronze Age or WWII or something. What I really want, though, is a sci-fi setting.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
would be kind limiting class wise
Kind of. Artificers would be basically non-existent (except maybe the occasional Alchemist), Barbarians would be very common, Bards would be fairly rare, Clerics would be common, Druids would be common, Fighters would be slightly less common than Barbarians, Monks would be pretty rare, Paladins would be about as common as Monks, Rangers would be common, Rogues would be fairly common, Sorcerers would be way, way more common than Wizards, Warlocks would be about as common as Clerics, and Wizards would be practically non-existent (unless there's a more primal subclass made for the world).

I've already thought of a Druid subclass for this world; The Circle of Bones. It channels its magic from the remains of creatures that died in the ancient past, using this magic to fuel their attacks with bone-crafted weapons. They are basically the Druid's equivalent to the Bladesinger, mixed in theme with the Barbarian a bit. At higher levels they can summon living fossils of dinosaurs/mammoths and command them like Battle Smiths do with Steel Defenders, and eventually get skin as hard as bone.

Thoughts?

Ok no jokes. I believe we don't need no new setting. We need good campaign agnostic dramatically hi quality adventures. Let me say that the baseline of quality could be IA6-Ravenloft. Wonderful stories in wonderfully designed manuals with great editorial quality and maps. I believe WOTC official products must be a hi end standard and let 3rd party do the rest of modest level stuff. Hasbro has the money to hire hi level authors, bringing them from screenplayers, writers and artists at a level higher than boys from tatoo shop. I believe that WOTC now has found the good balance in rules with 5th edition. Now is time to focus on authors rather than game designers or, better, put game designers at the service of authors.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Ok no jokes. I believe we don't need no new setting. We need good campaign agnostic dramatically hi quality adventures. Let me say that the baseline of quality could be IA6-Ravenloft. Wonderful stories in wonderfully designed manuals with great editorial quality and maps. I believe WOTC official products must be a hi end standard and let 3rd party do the rest of modest level stuff. Hasbro has the money to hire hi level authors, bringing them from screenplayers, writers and artists at a level higher than boys from tatoo shop. I believe that WOTC now has found the good balance in rules with 5th edition. Now is time to focus on authors rather than game designers or, better, put game designers at the service of authors.
. . . Adventures aren't a good substitution for settings. You need to have a world in order to have a place to adventure in.

. . . Adventures aren't a good substitution for settings. You need to have a world in order to have a place to adventure in.
When adventures are Adventures, the adventure create is own world. And if you think deeply about it you'll find that the best worlds are built to be a cradle for a good adventure. We are looking the things from an aberrant point of view because we are used to move in the RPG world that has twisted this mechanism for marketing purposes. Let's go back to the basics: a good author -> a good story -> a good setting where everything is tailored around the story. This is how it works.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
When adventures are Adventures, the adventure create is own world. And if you think deeply about it you'll find that the best worlds are built to be a cradle for a good adventure. We are looking the things from an aberrant point of view because we are used to move in the RPG world that has twisted this mechanism for marketing purposes. Let's go back to the basics: a good author -> a good story -> a good setting where everything is tailored around the story. This is how it works.
Maybe for you, but not for me. When I run an adventure, the setting has to be in place before the story. There has to be a foundational world before I can make an engaging campaign. YMMV, though.

Remove ads