D&D 5E D&D needs to let go of the 'all classes are equal' concept

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Making the same stat govern nearly the entirety of the social pillar as well as the primary stat for 3 (4 if we include paladins) classes was a terrible design mistake.
That is an issue with 5e, definitely. IMHO, it would not be as big of an issue if the other ability scores were as important as Dex and Cha, but I already have a thread for that:

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Okay so. @tetrasodium , I now need to ask one other question.

Does this mean you are saying that it is better for the game and its designers to identify some set of things that each class is supposed to be good at ("bricks in the pillar," to use your phrase)? For your answer, don't assume that being good at those things necessarily precludes being or becoming good at other things (whether in that pillar or another), just that each class has some definition for "yes you are definitely good at X."

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Okay so. @tetrasodium , I now need to ask one other question.

Does this mean you are saying that it is better for the game and its designers to identify some set of things that each class is supposed to be good at ("bricks in the pillar," to use your phrase)? For your answer, don't assume that being good at those things necessarily precludes being or becoming good at other things (whether in that pillar or another), just that each class has some definition for "yes you are definitely good at X."
To those just catching up, the pillars & bricks metaphor started back here. To a reasonable degree yes. Not every brick carries equal weight just as not every pillar is equally valuable, what is important is that every class/niche role should be able to gather their bricks into a meaningful pile they can be proud of. 5e misses the mark by enforcing a malignant equality on every niche that results in the niche itself often needing to be dialed back to the point where that niche is left feeling lacking unfulfilling & generally like a solution in search of a problem nobody cares about.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
To those just catching up, the pillars & bricks metaphor started back here. To a reasonable degree yes. Not every brick carries equal weight just as not every pillar is equally valuable, what is important is that every class/niche role should be able to gather their bricks into a meaningful pile they can be proud of. 5e misses the mark by enforcing a malignant equality on every niche that results in the niche itself often needing to be dialed back to the point where that niche is left feeling lacking unfulfilling & generally like a solution in search of a problem nobody cares about.
So, what you're saying, unless I'm completely mistaken...

Classes should have roles.

Remove ads