D&D 5E D&D Next Ability Scores

Ability scores in D&D Next (see definitions below)

• Fixed

Votes: 39 30.0%
  • Upgrade, capped

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • Upgrade, uncapped

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • Scaled, capped

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • Scaled, uncapped

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • Dynamic, capped

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • Dynamic, uncapped

Votes: 17 13.1%
  • Something else

Votes: 7 5.4%
  • I do not wish to participate

Votes: 2 1.5%

SKyOdin

First Post
I chose the "do not want to participate" option. Right now, there are so many endemic problems with the ability score system that it needs some rather significant over-hauling from the ground up. In light of that, an issue with how ability scores scale seems rather inconsequential.

Heck, the idea that you roll for ability scores randomly is something that should be seriously questioned.

Maybe, "something else" would have also sufficed for my opinion.

Stormonu

Legend
I would like for characters to be able to improve a score, but I don't want it to be automatic and I want it capped (say, at 19).

Just about every other RPG I've played allows for primary attributes to be raised, albeit very slowly and at much cost.

I'd also rather not see the return of the madness of 3E with items that boost ability scores, but I'd still like to see Gauntlets of Ogre Power and other items - but not "required" like they became in 3E. In other words, if you got one, that was something very special and unique, not SOP.

Mengu

First Post
I don't understand the difference between scaled and dynamic so I haven't voted yet.

I'm fine with what 4e is doing. Whichever that is, that's what I'm voting. Maybe scaled uncapped? I don't want items/spells/rituals/magic potatoes to do anything to stats. I'm happy with it being part of character advancement. Not in favor of it being part of the feat system, as that sounds very much like a feat tax. How the advancement happens is immaterial otherwise. Maybe it's a choice, maybe it's fixed, maybe it depends on class and/or race, or whatever other deterministic method.

And I wouldn't object to fixed stats either. It's easy peasy.

I'd be fine with an overhaul of the stat system too, but overhaul of *anything* is unlikely in DDN... They are pointedly determined to stay in the rut.

Last edited:

I'm somewhere between fixed (which I voted for) and Upgrade Capped.

I think ability scores should be able to go up. Wish, relic (like a manual of XX), a draw in a Deck of many things. But I don't think that Ability scores should ever go up by an out of gameplay choice of a player. No feats, no ability increase in themes or such - the only way they can go up is a big event within the game.

mlund

First Post
My preferences are based around the fact that I don't want the game's default assumption to be that my character's ability scores are scaling at a fixed rate over levels like 4E does, but I still want the ability to alter scores over time. I also want to respect the bell-curve and the point-buy scaling. The boost from 10 to 11 is vastly different than the bump from 18 to 19 in a stat.

I wanted upgrades because they are by definition optional and require some sort of effort to achieve. This effort or cost should be proportional to the bell-curve value of the stat bump.

A single Feat could give you +1 or +2 to a stat, to a maximum of 14 - reflecting effort and study in improving one's self in that attribute as opposed to getting more specialized in how you cleave with an ax,render healing poultices, or achieving rudimentary fluency in Dwarven. Cue the training montage where someone is hitting the gym or the library.

Moving along the 15-17 range would require some sort of limited expression magic or technique - maybe a ritual involving the hearts-blood of an adult dragon, imprisoning the spirits of 7 times 7 fiends, filching a golden apple from the orchard of Melora under the nose of her guardians, or just the old-fashion "wish" as a ritual.

Pushing the 18-20 category is the domain of major plot-based transformations like a great quest boon of a divine, fey, or fiendish patron; ripping the wings off an angel or consuming the essence of an elder elemental; inheriting the final secret of your ancient school from the dying master; taking up the Silver Arm Ergoth; etc.

Anything over 20 is demi-god territory. You'd need to complete tasks that already required Epic levels. If you manage to strike down orcus and consume his soul you can have your super-stats. You'll need them!

- Marty Lund

lutecius

Explorer
Right now, there are so many endemic problems with the ability score system that it needs some rather significant over-hauling from the ground up. In light of that, an issue with how ability scores scale seems rather inconsequential.

Heck, the idea that you roll for ability scores randomly is something that should be seriously questioned.

same here. I guess I'd rather they not improve automatically but to me there are far more important issues with abilty scores.

and they certainly should NOT be rolled :rant: at least not in my games.

Croesus

Adventurer
I would like for characters to be able to improve a score, but I don't want it to be automatic and I want it capped (say, at 19).

Just about every other RPG I've played allows for primary attributes to be raised, albeit very slowly and at much cost.

I'd also rather not see the return of the madness of 3E with items that boost ability scores, but I'd still like to see Gauntlets of Ogre Power and other items - but not "required" like they became in 3E. In other words, if you got one, that was something very special and unique, not SOP.

Pretty much matches my hopes.

I chose Upgrade/Capped, but I don't want feats or other player options for increasing ability scores. Giving players such options simply encourages the arms race.

However, allowing magic items such as the traditional librams to permanently increase a score seems okay, since a GM can control their availability. Likewise, allowing items such as Gauntlets of Ogre Power is fine, for the same reason. I would be inclined to change such items to give a fixed score, ala 1E, rather than a +x boost, ala 3.x.

I'm a bit more dubious of spells that raise stats, but only because of my 3.x experiences. I'm open to the idea of such spells, but I want to see more limits on them, so we don't have parties constantly buffed to the gills.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I don't understand the difference between scaled and dynamic so I haven't voted yet.
I added some more text to help clear up any confusion.

I'd be fine with an overhaul of the stat system too, but overhaul of *anything* is unlikely in DDN... They are pointedly determined to stay in the rut.
True enough. Although where you see a rut that they are intent upon staying in, I see traditional play styles that they are intent on supporting.

Mengu

First Post
True enough. Although where you see a rut that they are intent upon staying in, I see traditional play styles that they are intent on supporting.

Sorry, in my world, ability scores have nothing to do with style, they are just numbers on a paper. Stuff like rolling a d20 or rolling 2d6 or rolling percentile for resolution, having ability scores based on 3d6 vs 0-5, vs 1-100, rolling d4's for daggers, d8's for longswords, and the like, don't determine play style. They are merely artifacts of a rule system.

Their rut does not originate from their wish to support traditional play styles. It originates from the fact that they are closed to changing rules to entertain a wider range of play styles.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I think ability scores should be able to go up. Wish, relic (like a manual of XX), a draw in a Deck of many things. But I don't think that Ability scores should ever go up by an out of gameplay choice of a player. No feats, no ability increase in themes or such - the only way they can go up is a big event within the game.
Same here, but if upgrades are to be very rare then take the cap off...if you're lucky enough to get multiple wishes and burn 'em all into upgrading stats then let it go to 11 - er, 21.

The only other stat increase method I don't mind - in fact, I use it now - is the percentile increment system first seen on the 1e Cavalier (in UA). This is easily applied to all classes: their primary attribute and one other (chosen by player before rolling) advance a few % each level via a dice roll and might eventually tick over into another full integer. Be very cautious with this, however, if you're planning on a game going beyond about 15 levels.

Hence, I voted "something else".
Mengu said:
Sorry, in my world, ability scores have nothing to do with style, they are just numbers on a paper. Stuff like rolling a d20 or rolling 2d6 or rolling percentile for resolution, having ability scores based on 3d6 vs 0-5, vs 1-100, rolling d4's for daggers, d8's for longswords, and the like, don't determine play style. They are merely artifacts of a rule system.

Their rut does not originate from their wish to support traditional play styles. It originates from the fact that they are closed to changing rules to entertain a wider range of play styles.
Changing basic rules like that won't entertain a wider range of playstyles, just a different range; as for every new playstyle the game takes in it'll leave one (or more) behind.

What would be the point?

Lanefan

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases