D&D 5E D&D Next Blog - Wizards Like to Roll Dice Too

Dragonblade

Adventurer
Those poll questions are horribly worded. I can't tell what exactly I'm voting for or against. What kind of feedback are they possibly getting from those?

To answer the question, I want opposed rolls with a take 10 option if it makes sense. Caster rolls a magic attack roll and opponent rolls the appropriate defense against it. Best of both worlds.

JonWake

First Post
This blog just goes to show Monte Cook knows absolutely nothing about 4E if he thinks it did not have have saving throws that you roll. I am pretty sure he shouldn't be allowed to mention 4E in any of his blogs anymore.

You know, he's probably never even read the books. I bet he can't even read.
And he punched kittens.

Most humorous when a previous blog post triggered waves of Monte hate... only to later learn it was written by Rob Schwabe. Cue the confused backpedaling.

See, here's what I don't get. I don't agree with Jonathan Tweet's choice to push 3e in a skills heavy direction. I think it diffused the strength of a class based game. I also think he really, really loved Runequest too much. But I don't hate the guy. He seems like a nice bloke.

I guess I'm just mellow in my old age.

S

Sunseeker

Those poll questions are horribly worded. I can't tell what exactly I'm voting for or against. What kind of feedback are they possibly getting from those?

Taking into account what Wizards pulled with their recent Mirrodin Pure/New Phyrexia sthick, they're probably only looking for feedback to support what they already think should happen.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Bad polls are bad.

Anyway this is is how I'd like it.

Wizard rolls attacks against Target's Static Defense

Magic Rays and Arrows (Offensive Conjurations)
Magical Touches that only deal damage or have a 1 turn effect
Cantrips

Target rolls saving throws against Wizard's Static Difficulty class
Physical spells that home on the target or create area effects (Most Evocations and Most Nercomancy)
Wizard rolls attacks against Target's Static Defense, then
Target rolls saving throws against Wizard's Static Difficulty class to remove effect
Powerful spells that have durations (Enchantments, Illusions, and Transmutations)

Wizard and Target make Opposed rolls

Counterspells

No rolls except for certain conditions

Magic Missile
Scrying
Movement into spells that create areas of effect and structures
Nontargeting spells
"Harmless" Defensive and Utility spells (Abjuration and Divination)

Last edited:

R

RHGreen

This blog just goes to show Monte Cook knows absolutely nothing about 4E if he thinks it did not have have saving throws that you roll. I am pretty sure he shouldn't be allowed to mention 4E in any of his blogs anymore.

Saves in 4E aren't the same thing. Saves in 4E are a duration mechanic, but I understand your point.

Remathilis

Legend
Torn.

I like being able to roll a save, it gives me a feeling of my fate in my hands...

...BUT...

...I see the point of static defenses.

I don't want opposed rolls though. Pick one or the other.

CasvalRemDeikun

Adventurer
Saves in 4E aren't the same thing. Saves in 4E are a duration mechanic, but I understand your point.
Except for the fact that they aren't just a duration mechanic. If an attack is going to force you into a bad situation, such as off a cliff, guess what you roll? Or, you hit zero hit points, you are now dying, guess what you roll to stop dying?

And they are still present in the game regardless, which is counter to what Monte is saying.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
I like opposed rolls. But I like opposed rolls for melee also. Attack roll versus a Defense roll (rather than against a static AC/Defense).

I'd be happy with the same for spells. Or at least a modular option for this.

:)

R

RHGreen

What might be a good idea is to have a wizard cast a spell - he rolls the attack.

If he hits the initial part of the spell (most likely damage) affects the target.

Then the target rolls a save against that attack roll.

If the target fails the secondary part of the spell (frozen to the spot/moved backwards/turn into a frog) affects the target.

Example:

1. Wizard casts a charm spell at an orc.
2. Wizard rolls attack (16) and hits the orcs AC of 14
3. Wizard causes 8 points of psychic damage to the orc.
4. The orc rolls a save (13) he fails against the DC16 and is charmed.
5. The orc rolls a new save against 16 each turn.

* Perhaps a natural 20 causes a permanent effect?

R

RHGreen

Perhaps the DC goes down one each round save attempt?

You could have the wizard reinforce the effect and boost the DC by casting /sustaining the spell using a standard action or something similar. It would be good to be able to permanently charm someone (with sustained effort of course.)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases