D&D 5E D&D Next playtest post mortem by Mike Mearls and Rodney Thompson. From seven years ago.

Oofta

Legend
the cop out is they DIDN"T listen when it came to spells just non magic characters... they (and you) cherry picked "no social rules" to mean social spells Aokay
They did the most extensive play test ever done for an RPG. Social interactions in my games rarely involve spells, there are simply too many consequences.

But this just goes back to the fact that you can't please everyone. As they state in the videos, even if something has a 95% popularity rate, that still means 1 in 20 people will be dissatisfied. That, and forums do not reflect popular opinion.

Sucks if your that 1 in 20, but to quote a great philosopher, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

Of course another thing they talked about was that people can also find issues after they play a system long enough. If enough people demand changes, I suspect there will be changes. But nobody on this forum is going to influence that change any more than anyone else who participates in the playtest.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
They did the most extensive play test ever done for an RPG. Social interactions in my games rarely involve spells, there are simply too many consequences.

But this just goes back to the fact that you can't please everyone. As they state in the videos, even if something has a 95% popularity rate, that still means 1 in 20 people will be dissatisfied. That, and forums do not reflect popular opinion.

Sucks if your that 1 in 20, but to quote a great philosopher, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

Of course another thing they talked about was that people can also find issues after they play a system long enough. If enough people demand changes, I suspect there will be changes. But nobody on this forum is going to influence that change any more than anyone else who participates in the playtest.
I mean, I think that years of playing in the wild influenced most if the changes in OmeD&D shown so far, and in Xanathar's or Tasha's for that matter.

If that's true then why do they have SO many non combat spells if they are not used?
except that IS NOT what they said... they said that they OVERWHELMINGLY were told they didn't want mechanics for social pillar... but they left all the social spells alone.
telling somoni it sucks to be them is the rudest thing I have been told today, and I have twice had crummy rude CS experences... I don't know why this sort of BULLYING is allowed on enworld but I am asking you to knock it off.
and yet here we are again... have the exact same argument we have had at least a dozen times this year

Oofta

Legend
I mean, I think that years of playing in the wild influenced most if the changes in OmeD&D shown so far, and in Xanathar's or Tasha's for that matter.
Sure, and times change. I just don't expect overall dramatic modifications to the core systems. Even things like making orcs a core race is more of a cosmetic than structural difference. Even if I never allow them as a playable race in my home campaign.

Oofta

Legend
If that's true then why do they have SO many non combat spells if they are not used?

except that IS NOT what they said... they said that they OVERWHELMINGLY were told they didn't want mechanics for social pillar... but they left all the social spells alone.

telling somoni it sucks to be them is the rudest thing I have been told today, and I have twice had crummy rude CS experences... I don't know why this sort of BULLYING is allowed on enworld but I am asking you to knock it off.

and yet here we are again... have the exact same argument we have had at least a dozen times this year
I'm not getting into wizards rule, fighters drool again. If you're not going to discuss the videos, I'm not going to respond.

They listened to the feedback, employed iterative development and did the best they could. Seems to have worked.

HammerMan

Legend
Sure, and times change. I just don't expect overall dramatic modifications to the core systems.
this is an odd thing to say when we know races in general and backgrounds in general (linked to this is the feat at 1st level and feats not being optional) and that is just the first test

I'm not getting into wizards rule, fighters drool again. If you're not going to discuss the videos, I'm not going to respond.

They listened to the feedback, employed iterative development and did the best they could. Seems to have worked.
I AM talking about the video... in the video they say that an overwhelming majority wanted no rules for social and very different rules for explorations... but instead of taking that to the entire game, they excluded spell casters.

Oofta

Legend
this is an odd thing to say when we know races in general and backgrounds in general (linked to this is the feat at 1st level and feats not being optional) and that is just the first test
I don't see those as particularly substantial changes to how the game plays. That, and it's just UA, no telling what the end result will be or what the next UAs will try out.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases