• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E D&D Next weekly art column!

Status
Not open for further replies.

avin

First Post
Why we keep talking about D&D games like it happens in europe?
Most D&D games happen in other worlds, not Earth.

D&D can't be limited to europe or tolkien.

Kynn

Adventurer
Why we keep talking about D&D games like it happens in europe?
Most D&D games happen in other worlds, not Earth.

D&D can't be limited to europe or tolkien.

Because certain D&D players seem to be extraordinarily invested in the idea of keeping D&D artwork as "white" and "male" as possible.

Your point is a good one, but I am afraid it will be lost on those who have kneejerk reactions against any call for more diversity in the hobby.

Yora

Legend
"If you are not with us, you're against us."

And anyone who is not for a strict quota that mirrors the current US-population is a sexist racist!

Tallifer

Hero
If the world in question is a fair analogue to the real medieval one, that means mostly Chinese-looking rice farmers.

Find me one Chinese rice farmer in Le Morte d'Arthur. The home base for players in Greyhawk, the Realms, Eberron and Krynn usually somehow resembled mediaeval Europe.

Tallifer

Hero
Was from the 70s, and we've grown as a culture since then.

All of Western culture has been in an ever accelerating decline since the glory days of the 1640s. But since D&D is part of that decadence and degeneracy, I suppose we ought to embrace it. <winks>

Kaodi

Hero
Most of the best or most fondly remembered art from previous editions came not from the core books, but from the covers of adventures (specially the Dragonlance series), magazines (Dragon and Dungeon), novels or from calendars (mostly Dragonlance).

Makes eminent sense. Back in those days, covers, novels, magazines, and calendars were where most of the colour paintings were.

Klaus

First Post
Folks, while I appreciate the discussion about how inclusive D&D art should be, that is a bit ahead of the point. Let's try to bring the topic back to the kind of art you want to see in D&D Next. It's okay for one person to say "I want more racial diversity" while another says "I want a more traditional European look", but don't drag out the argument, and most of all, don't get too aggressive about it.

Kingreaper

Adventurer
Well, I actually would like to see that. I mean, not 99%, but farmers tending to crops, graveyards and funerals, a coronation cerimony, priests lecturing, apprentices cleaning the shelves of wizard libraries... how long has it been since we saw a damsel in distress?

"Is that a damsel in distress?"
"Nope, that's a damned soul in a dress!"

trancejeremy

Adventurer
But now when I see this:
RC-MU.jpg

Then I feel really uncomfortable. Because it reminds me of 19th century exhibitions of "primitive people". I don't even know how an accurate representation of 13th century african warriors and noblemen would look like, and even an accurate image might make be uncomfortable because of my experiences.

Haven't you ever seen a Nativity Set? That's a Magi, aka Wiseman and about as far as primitive as you can get...it's a traditional depiction of a Mage

Ant

First Post
And I had such high hopes for this thread ... :(

In an attempt to steer this back on course, after taking a look back at some of the art in Basic, 1e and 2e I am certainly keen to see more vignettes, landscapes and "in the moment" art. Conversely, I'd like to see less highly-stylised stuff (2e core books ... ugh!).

As a lot of folk have said, I also hope they lean towards more realistic depictions of swords, armour and gear. It's not a history book but at least show weapons that have a chance to be lifted above the head. I think some of this also ties in with the hope that PCs are portrayed less as superheroes.

And, sure, actual warhammers or polaxes may look a little boring to some (I'd disagree with that personally) but if DDN moved away from those single-subject portraits to high-action vignettes then I think that will help a lot.

And as much as I hate to say it, maybe a little less WAR. I really like WAR (even when he's not at his best) but I'm getting a little over-saturated. Or at least mix things up a bit there, Wayne.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads