D&D General D&D: One Brand, Multiple Games

Reynard

Legend
Here's a thought I had: what if D&D was a brand (so it had some strong identifying features) but was explicitly designed to include multiple, concurrently published games. Not literally, but maybe an OSR version, a 4E version, and a 5E version focused on particular play elements and intended experiences. By this virtue it would include card and board games, along with TTRPGs.

I know it's not realistic. I'm not arguing that's what WotC should do. Rather, I am wondering if not every "line" had to be profitable (because one or two main lines were, or whatever) what could D&D as a brand, designed to appeal to different] references and needs, look like.

Note that this thread is intended to be about what "might" be, not what "could" be. So if you are intent upon explaining how the whole idea is unrealistic and flawed, save it. That's not the point.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
D&D has been this before, with the advanced/basic split. It was very nearly this again with the 4e/Pathfinder split; though PF technically didn’t have the D&D branding it was still pretty much marketed as “D&D lives on.” I’m sure it could become this again and do just fine, though I very much doubt it will.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Here's a thought I had: what if D&D was a brand (so it had some strong identifying features) but was explicitly designed to include multiple, concurrently published games. Not literally, but maybe an OSR version, a 4E version, and a 5E version focused on particular play elements and intended experiences. By this virtue it would include card and board games, along with TTRPGs.

I know it's not realistic. I'm not arguing that's what WotC should do. Rather, I am wondering if not every "line" had to be profitable (because one or two main lines were, or whatever) what could D&D as a brand, designed to appeal to different] references and needs, look like.

Note that this thread is intended to be about what "might" be, not what "could" be. So if you are intent upon explaining how the whole idea is unrealistic and flawed, save it. That's not the point.
In an ideal world, WotC would mirror the AD&D/Basic split of the '80s. 5X would be the "advanced" analog while whatever new D&D game they put out would be rules light. Again, in an ideal world, the sales would mirror the '80s and skew in favor of the rules-light game. WotC would pick up on that and do what TSR should have done: continue the rules-light version of D&D and drop the rules heavy version of D&D, but keep it available as PDFs and POD through drivethrurpg and DMs Guild.

It would be great to see WotC actually use 4E. Maybe use it as the basis for skirmish games. Clean up the line a bit and put out an evergreen version of 4E or even replace 5X's active support with support for evergreen 4E. It's vastly superior in terms of balance and combat. Use it as an optional add-on to the new Basic D&D.

From there, produce system-neutral setting books, play material, modules, etc.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
It could be done with subsystems and each line referring to different subsystems. Like you would have to choose between spells and non-weapon proficiencies, spells and maneuvers, or attack powers, defend powers, and utility powers.

D&D could have 5-7 lines each with their own sets of subsystems.

Shiroiken

Legend
Splitting the fan base is never a really good idea. The best method would be to design the game with a simple chassis, but then produce a series of advanced options that override the original simple rules. DMs could customize the level of complexity based on what aspects they find the most important.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

D&D is a brand. And while not ttrpg games specifically, it is used to push many categories of products — video games, movies, board games, plushies, toys, clothing, the whole works.

Reynard

Legend
As a specific example, I mean instead of the adventure Dragon Heist, the put out the game D&D: Dragon Heist, which would be in this example a single rulebook Blades in the Dark alike. Like that.

Again, I'm not saying it is a thing that would happen. I'm just musing on the idea of multiple D&D branded RPGs.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I like the idea, but only if they adopt Coca-Cola's naming strategy.
D&D (5e).
D&D II (Eternal 4e).
D&D Classic. (OSR)
Diet D&D (rules lite).
D&D Zero (diceless D&D),
D&D BlaK (pocket version of super fast D&D)
Cherry D&D (D&D 3e)
D&D Black Cherry Vanilla (Level Up D&D)
D&D Clear (Ya Basic D&D, only available in Japan)
D&D Orange Vanilla (Story Now D&D)
D&D Starlight (D&D ... in SPACE!)
etc.

Now that you've read it, you want it. You KNOW you want it.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
As a specific example, I mean instead of the adventure Dragon Heist, the put out the game D&D: Dragon Heist, which would be in this example a single rulebook Blades in the Dark alike. Like that.
So like an Essentials Kit on steroids? I think something like that might work in the mainstream market where they're doing a more restricted version of that idea with their Starter Sets. Expanding on that to a bigger box might be a natural next step. I think a mainstream box campaign Starter Set that goes from levels 1-10 would be interesting to see.

In the hobby market I think it would just make people mad.

Remove ads