• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Online To Go Free This Summer

Baumi

Adventurer
I haven't played it for a while but it is by far the best MMO for me. The only problem for me was that there weren't enough players in the mid-levels and it's VERY depended that you have a fun group (like real DnD).

DDO to become free?

Apparently, Dungeons & Dragons Online is changing its business model. It will be playable for free, but with "micro-payment" options.
Information from the Turbine Website:
DDO Goes Free to Play!

In a German article it is mentioned that this is not yet planned for customers in Europe. :(

Does anyone have more insights?
What are your thoughts?

Note to WotC: Now if you could make a bundle with DDI... :heh:

mhensley

First Post
It's free... until they cancel it. This is a last gasp attempt to get people to play it. Even with a free trial a few months ago, I found it too dull to play.

Kishin

First Post
It's free... until they cancel it. This is a last gasp attempt to get people to play it. Even with a free trial a few months ago, I found it too dull to play.

QFT. Though some MMOs have managed to reinvigorate themselves after a precarious downhill slide (Age of Conan, for example, has finally found its very small but functional niche for the time being), I don't think DDO is capable of doing that, especially with current (and now forthcoming) competition. I will be surprised if the game lasts out the year.

Its a terrible depiction of Eberron, also.

Runestar

First Post
I was just visiting the DDO site a while ago. Crap, as if I am not wasting enough time online as is... :cool:

At first glance, seems like the now-defunct Hellgate business model. You get to play for free online, with the option of subscribing for additional content. Basically a permanent free trial.

Seems like a shrewd move. The infrastructure is already more or less there, membership is possibly stagnating or peaking out, so they probably aren't losing much (if anything) by making it available to the rest of the general population (these are likely the people who wouldn't normally pay for a subscription in the first place).

No chances of Blizzard doing the same thing with WoW, eh? :p

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Anybody who wants a leg up in the game, can find me on Thelanis (Wulf Ratbane, of course, among others).

I'll also answer questions here (or wherever this thread ends up) about builds and such, and show you "in game" why I think DDO has the best gameplay of any MMO.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads