D&D (2024) D&D playtest feed back report, UA8

Yep, the issue is both a lack of scaling and the effects on save failures often being too punishing.
With those specific spells.
It is not the lack of scaling of polymorph. It is the automatic scaling (as a buff spell). And the no save feature as a debuff spell.

The saving throw not scaling is not the issue here.

Pauln6

Hero
Pixies are very powerful for their CR and a real rare exception. Polymorph spell is broken by itself.

The interaction between the old conjure fey and pixies had 3 extraordinarily imbalanced game elements chained together. Guess what. It looks quite broken.
But you are trying to put a patch over it instead of fixing the problems:

1. Conjure animal gets fixed as the spell was a pain.

2. Polymorph* needs to work differently. It autoscales and has no save each round or a 3 save mechanic at least. Single save or suck does not play well with how saves should work in 5e which you identified it correctly.

3. Pixies are no classical monster to fight against. They like to have fun with you, not kill you. Using them as real monsters is problematic.

*phantasmal force and suggestion are also in need of an overhaul. Spells so debilating with no chance of saving need to be patched not the save bonuses. Especially when that does not help against those low level spells anyway. A 5% better chance to save is nit really helpful.
Yeah why you all hating on Pixies? They are great fun at parties. They are not a genuine threat, and if you can target them, or possibly just tickle them, their concentration is terrible. Just roll with it, I say.

Polymorph Other was taken from the Odyssey and probably other fairy stories, where heroes were turned permanently into small animals, often forgetting they were ever human. Polymorph is already very nerfed from the classical version of the spell, which I suppose could still exist as a DM fiat Curse.

Yeah why you all hating on Pixies? They are great fun at parties. They are not a genuine threat, and if you can target them, or possibly just tickle them, their concentration is terrible. Just roll with it, I say.

Polymorph Other was taken from the Odyssey and probably other fairy stories, where heroes were turned permanently into small animals, often forgetting they were ever human. Polymorph is already very nerfed from the classical version of the spell, which I suppose could still exist as a DM fiat Curse.
I don't hate pixies. I pointed out that comparing them to other monsters is dumb.
If you need permanent polymorphing pixies, they can get a special ability. Nit a spell that every 7th level caster can use.

Remove ads