D&D 5E D&D Promises to Make the Game More Queer

Status
Not open for further replies.

MechaPilot

Explorer
One thing discussion keeps overlooking is that the propaganda point here is not actually, "people like me exist." It is normalization: "people like me exist and are no different from anybody else."

The distinction is hard to see if you already buy into the viewpoint which is being normalized. If you want to understand how Crawford's viewpoint looks to someone who thinks homosexuality is deviant, try plugging in a behavior or lifestyle that you yourself think is deviant.

Again, do the adventures specifically say how the other NPCs react to the homosexuality of the homosexual NPCs? If not, then normalization is only present if the DM wants it to be. DMs, given the same facts, could easily run the NPC community's reaction to the homosexuality of the homosexual NPCs very differently. If there is no text that confers judgement (for good or ill) upon the homosexuality of the homosexual NPCs, then it's literally just another character trait like height, weight, race, etc.

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
I really hate that the existence of gold pieces advances the capitalist agenda. Keep agendas (and gold pieces) out of D&D!

I also hate that swords advance the metallurgy agenda. Keep agendas (and steel) out of D&D!

Wait, what? Were those not the right agendas? Is it just some agendas?
Imagine waking up today to this headline:

"D&D Promises to Make the Game Less Queer"

Do you think that would push a few people's buttons?

Nagol

Unimportant
<snip>

Let's keep propaganda out of gaming please. And let's keep Nazis out of gaming too, except as drow.

Nazis make great villains for period appropriate gaming! 1930s-1960s pulp hero/covert action/action adventure/superhero gaming can be great fun.

tombowings

First Post
There is no INappropriate medium. This is the point of being inclusive, to show that such things are to be treated as totally normative, so they could pop up anywhere. The point is actually not to highlight the difference but to make the difference so normalized that it ceases to be a difference - so that, eventually, places like wherever you're teaching don't even notice the sex of the person that the blacksmith has as a mate.

That's exactly my point. Crawford did highly the difference, which turned what he did into an ideological stunt. I have nothing wrong with the adventure or the gay characters. I just don't like the motivation before including them (politicizing a game), regardless of what the message might be..

Honestly, none of these people bother me. It's a game. It's completely separate from the real world. That's what I like about it. My entire point can be summarized as follows: It's a game, how about we all stop trying to push out agenda with it, alright.

Sure, but you're the one person on this thead who doesn't need to analogize to [something that makes me uncomfortable] to see what makes Crawford's propaganda what it is. :) The analogy is for everyone who keeps missing your point.

schnee

First Post
Would you disagree if you didn't like the message?

That isn't the discussion.

The discussion is about including gay characters in a game, your dislike of it, and every time someone pins you down to make you actually explain one of your simplistic pronouncements, you pivot with some arbitrary new detail.

You are being incredibly dishonest and disingenuous.

tombowings

First Post
That isn't the discussion.

The discussion is about including gay characters in a game, your dislike of it, and every time someone pins you down to make you actually explain one of your simplistic pronouncements, you pivot with some arbitrary new detail.

You are being incredibly dishonest and disingenuous.

In what way? I'm trying to clarify. Clarification involves adding new details.

As I said above:

Inclusion of gay characters: Don't really care.

Inclusion of straight characters: Don't really care.

Using media to as a way to promote any ideology, whether I agree, disagree, or am unsure about it: Wrong medium. Find a podium.

Satyrn

First Post
This thread is making me wonder who's responsible for all the pro-goblin propaganda coming out of Paizo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads