D&D Psionics Survey; Plus "First Major Mechanical Expansion" Coming?

The latest D&D survey is up from WotC, and it's asking your thoughts on the revised Awakened Mystic article (aka 5E psionics rules) in Mike Mearls' Unearthed Arcana column last July. It also asks whether you want to see new races, classes, spells, and feats. At the same time, the last survey's results are in, reporting on the pubic's opinions of the Kits of Old article from a few months ago; and Mike Mearls refers to a "first major mechanical expansion" in the game.

[lq]At this stage, we’ve begun considering what the first, major mechanical expansion to the game might look like.[/lq]

Atlatl Jones

Explorer
I don't know about that. Book of Nine Swords and the Warlock (Complete Mage?) were the seeds the blossomed into 4th edition. Are you ready for 6th?
Bo9S was an expression of early-4e design, but the Warlock was from Complete Arcane, which IIRC was only the second or third book out for 3.5.

hawkeyefan

Legend
I took the "major mechanical expansion" to mean addition to the game, rather than modification of existing items. I would expect that they're talking about psionics, especially given that they combined this announcement with the survey about the mystic play test.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were some other options or ideas incorporated into whatever product this actually turns out to be, but I'd expect the "expansion" to be the addition of psionics and psionic based classes.

I already house-ruled that into my games....

Stealing from 2e AD&D Nonweapon Proficiencies, I allow characters to gain an additional proficiency in either a Skill, Tool, Language, or Weapon at 3rd, 6th, 9th, 12th, 15th, & 18th level.

You can already learn a new skill. It is under alternate rewards. I still believe downtime can be expanded and here a little rewrite would not break anything.
Adding the option. Apprenticeship: you can learn tools and skills when under tutelage of a master and you make int checks in weekly intervals and after 3 successes you have learnt it would not break the game.

I just hope that there will be some more feats. I know feats are optional, but I really love them, especially the meaty feats of 5E, and they are an excellent way to customize characters.

OB1

Jedi Master
I like that it looks like they are aiming it at veterans, and being careful to express that it's DM's choice on material. Like some sort of "Advanced" Dungeons and Dragons. :cool:

This! Advanced Players Handbook. New optional races, classes, feats, kits, abilities, spells and rules for veteran players of the worlds most popular fantasy role playing game.

CapnZapp

Legend
While psionics is a reasonable guess, I actually want to save that for a psionics themed adventure and setting.

An advanced player's handbook sounds perfect, both in scope and what it shouldn't be :)

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases