D&D 5E D&D Races: Evolution, Fantasy Stereotypes & Escapism

Hussar

Legend
The argument that leaves it all in the DMs hands misses the point.

Do dm’s never use a module? Setting book? Never use any published material?

Putting it all on dms means that you expect every dm to vet every single thing they use at the table.

That’s not reasonable. After all the reverse also works. Dms can certainly over rule published works at their table so not having monolithic evil races in no way affects the role of the dm.

Putting it all on dms means that you expect every dm to vet every single thing they use at the table.

That’s not reasonable. After all the reverse also works. Dms can certainly over rule published works at their table so not having monolithic evil races in no way affects the role of the dm.
That is a great point. But I do expect the DMs do vet every single thing they use at their table. If they don't, then they should have no problem with contrarian things happening to their lore. Which, in my experience, is exactly how most tables run. But a DM that wants such rigidity, needs to vet everything. (And on a personal note, I don't think vetting new books is really that difficult to do.)

D&D does not use the term "human-like sapient beings."
Well, more specifically, it uses "humanoid." MM p. 7

Humanoids are the main peoples of the D&D world, both civilized and savage, including humans and a tremendous variety of other species. They have language and culture, few if any innate magical abilities (though most humanoids can learn spellcasting), and a bipedal form. The most common humanoid races are the ones most suitable as player characters: humans, dwarves, elves, and halflings. Almost as numerous but far more savage and brutal, and almost uniformly evil, are the races of goblinoids (goblins, hobgoblins, and bugbears), orcs, gnolls, lizardfolk, and kobolds.
A variety of humanoids appear throughout this book, but the races detailed in the Player's Handbook- with the exception of drow- a re dealt with in appendix B. That appendix gives you a number of stat blocks that you can use to make various members of those races.

This contains the very classical notion that PCs will be humans, dwarves, elves, and halflings, but this is outdated. Thus, I think the lore has to change so that these other creatures are either treated the same as the core 4, or are moved to other categories (fiend, monstrosity), possibly in addition to other changes

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Good to know this is your stance, even if you leave a ton of wiggle room in your stance. I have no idea why you do, perhaps a debate tactic, but it is frustrating. Try using the terms the actual game we are discussing uses. Your semantic line is exactly what I am talking about - and have mentioned many times on this very thread.
D&D does not use the term "human-like sapient beings." It uses race. Use the term they give you. By switching the term, you loosen your claim and now have wiggle room to move. I feel it is probably some debate tactic you have picked up, but all it does it perpetuate arguments. You also have to add in "intentionally." Now that leaves room for you to say: "For this person it was okay, for this person it wasn't." And then the disclaimer at the end, "or something else." I mean, can you leave any more room to shift your decisions on the fly if someone points out some flaw in your argument. Again, this type of semantic malarky just perpetuates arguments - it does nothing to solve them.

Maybe an example is needed. Watch, here is mine: "In D&D, the DM gets to decide a race's alignment, the player decides their PC's."

See how absolutely clear that is. Now, if someone disagrees, we can specifically discuss why the DM gets to decide, why the player gets to decide, or why letting the DM decide is wrong, or why letting the player decide is wrong. And they can start out by saying: "In D&D, DMs should not have the ability to decide a race's alignment."
Alright. I was trying to use non-game terms that...are more like how people generally speak, rather than game jargon, but if game jargon is what you want, "DMs should not employ races that have inherent alignment."

I had no intent to put in "wiggle room." Pretty much every word was very carefully chosen. I used "human-like," for example, because proximity to human-ness is a very serious component. Nobody really seems to care much that Beholders (for example) are always evil, because beholders are radically unlike human beings physiologically, psychologically, and socially. They have little to no relationship to any real-world ways that human beings have been (sometimes literally) demonized. They aren't coded with any characteristics that evoke real-world cultures or caricatures thereof.

I used "sapient" because sapience is a critical concern, as reflected in most science fiction regarding robots. We don't feel bad about a perfectly ordinary assembly line robot having a malfunction and needing to be replaced. It is clearly a tool, not even possessing the minimal awareness of a beast of burden. But when a robot can genuinely and spontaneously ask questions like, "Does this unit have a soul?" we pretty much instantly recognize that that being can no longer be treated as a tool, and is instead a person. Similarly, fiction where ordinary animals are featured, such as pets or named horses, is perfectly acceptable. While these creatures are sentient, aware of their surroundings and capable of feeling, they are not sapient. So long as they are treated with appropriate kindness and respect, humans keeping them domesticated (and possibly extracting labor from them) is acceptable. However, if one were awakened somehow, it would not be acceptable to continue doing that, as with the aforementioned robot demonstrating their sapience. (See, for instance, the Talking Animals of Narnia.)

I absolutely do disagree with "In D&D, the DM gets to decide a race's alignment," because, as stated, I oppose the idea of "races" having inherent alignment. Players getting to decide their own character's alignment is fine, because that has zero intersection with inherent alignment (and, at least in principle, is a rejection thereof; if the player can always decide their alignment, then anything they're permitted to play cannot have inherent alignment, which is what I was going for to begin with.) I would grant, "The DM gets to decide each NPC's alignment," because that does not invoke the specter of "this is a fully sapient being, by sight and by generic actions equivalent to an actual human....except that it is just axiomatically evil and therefore morally okay to kill on sight no matter what."

I find most "lore" justifications for this to be, as noted, merely fig-leaf excuses--particularly because a lot of it just looks like being really really insistent that "no these guys actually ARE just soulless monsters that happen to look humanoid, we pinky-swear this time!" Character motive reasons may be appropriate, since (again) characters are individuals who make their own decisions.

So long as something is a "race," it should not have inherent alignment, and vice-versa. Races, as D&D uses the term, are almost always sapient and human-like (hence why 3e referred to them as subtypes of "humanoid.") Things that are not races are, in general, either non-sapient or very non-human-like--and even among them there are some areas that it might be better to not use inherent alignment (such as dragons, which other than physiology, are a bit too much like humans to be comfortable as inherently aligned.)

There are ways around some of this that aren't nearly as problematic and aren't just fig-leaf excuses, too, though as with all of this they require a little thought in use. My oft-mentioned explanation for fiends being Always Evil is one, best used for very supernatural beings. Another is where evil behavior becomes physically reflected in the body of the being. This is best used for beings that are already at least a little non-human-like, such as dragons; e.g. in order for a dragon to have gold scales, it has to have a certain kind of personality and have sustained commitment to certain kinds of action, and falling short of that standard would directly lead to looking like something else. (In effect, it makes these dragons not actually having "race" at all, because their "race" IS in some sense a choice, or a series of choices, whereas "race" is usually understood to not be something a person is capable of choosing for herself.)

Or, if you prefer a TL;DR:
I reject the statement, "In D&D, the DM gets to decide a race's alignment, the player decides their PC's" as unacceptable. I reject it because "race" is not a choice, but alignment with regard to "races" is in principle a choice, as it is about moral behavior, and entities which cannot make moral choices cannot have moral behavior. As a result, I see clear and serious issues with "races" that have inherent alignment. If a class of beings is a "race," as D&D uses the term, then it should have the freedom to choose (so that the player may decide their PC's alignment). If it is not a "race," then it may be acceptable for it to have inherent alignment. Various means (true and thorough alienness, "team jersey" approach) can get you there. The vast majority of actual "races" that are presented as inherently aligned look like elaborate fig-leaf excuses.

Last edited:

Well, more specifically, it uses "humanoid." MM p. 7

This contains the very classical notion that PCs will be humans, dwarves, elves, and halflings, but this is outdated. Thus, I think the lore has to change so that these other creatures are either treated the same as the core 4, or are moved to other categories (fiend, monstrosity), possibly in addition to other changes
Thanks for informing me. So the Monster Manual does a more progressive job than the PHB. That is ironic. I appreciate the lesson.

Well, yes, DMs vet everything that goes on in their games. It is all in the DM's hands, for it is their game.

Alright. I was trying to use non-game terms that...are more like how people generally speak, rather than game jargon, but if game jargon is what you want, "DMs should not employ races that have inherent alignment."
Thank you. Sincerely, thank you.
I had no intent to put in "wiggle room." Pretty much every word was very carefully chosen. I used "human-like," for example, because proximity to human-ness is a very serious component. Nobody really seems to care much that Beholders (for example) are always evil, because beholders are radically unlike human beings physiologically, psychologically, and socially. They have little to no relationship to any real-world ways that human beings have been (sometimes literally) demonized. They aren't coded with any characteristics that evoke real-world cultures or caricatures thereof.
Ah... thanks for the clarification. It makes some sense, even if I have seen it argued that beholders shouldn't have an alignment attached to them. But for your view, perfect sense.
I used "sapient" because sapience is a critical concern, as reflected in most science fiction regarding robots. We don't feel bad about a perfectly ordinary assembly line robot having a malfunction and needing to be replaced. It is clearly a tool, not even possessing the minimal awareness of a beast of burden. But when a robot can genuinely and spontaneously ask questions like, "Does this unit have a soul?" we pretty much instantly recognize that that being can no longer be treated as a tool, and is instead a person. Similarly, fiction where ordinary animals are featured, such as pets or named horses, is perfectly acceptable. While these creatures are sentient, aware of their surroundings and capable of feeling, they are not sapient. So long as they are treated with appropriate kindness and respect, humans keeping them domesticated (and possibly extracting labor from them) is acceptable. However, if one were awakened somehow, it would not be acceptable to continue doing that, as with the aforementioned robot demonstrating their sapience. (See, for instance, the Talking Animals of Narnia.)
Again, I appreciate the time you spent clarifying this. Thank you. And from a sci-fi realm, I get exactly where you are coming from.
I absolutely do disagree with "In D&D, the DM gets to decide a race's alignment," because, as stated, I oppose the idea of "races" having inherent alignment. Players getting to decide their own character's alignment is fine, because that has zero intersection with inherent alignment (and, at least in principle, is a rejection thereof; if the player can always decide their alignment, then anything they're permitted to play cannot have inherent alignment, which is what I was going for to begin with.) I would grant, "The DM gets to decide each NPC's alignment," because that does not invoke the specter of "this is a fully sapient being, by sight and by generic actions equivalent to an actual human....except that it is just axiomatically evil and therefore morally okay to kill on sight no matter what."
Yeah, I just think we disagree on one thing, and one thing only - letting the DM decide a race's alignment. And to me, that's okay. It would never prevent me from playing at a table like yours (as I have many times).
I bolded one part to explain, that it was contrary on person. The DM making all dwarves lawful evil, but the player choosing the one dwarf that broke the mold, and gets to do the whole PC vs society thing is a classic conflict in storytelling. Thus, while the DM controls the race's motives, the PCs are always in control of their motive and destiny.
I find most "lore" justifications for this to be, as noted, merely fig-leaf excuses--particularly because a lot of it just looks like being really really insistent that "no these guys actually ARE just soulless monsters that happen to look humanoid, we pinky-swear this time!" Character motive reasons may be appropriate, since (again) characters are individuals who make their own decisions.
And again, I think we just disagree. Most DMs I know, that have their own setting, put a lot of time and thought into their lore. I would like to think the rest do the same. And while I know there may be a few half-hearted, or "fig-leaf" attempts, I believe they are rare. It seems we're just on opposite sides of the optimistic/pessimistic mirror on this one.
So long as something is a "race," it should not have inherent alignment, and vice-versa. Races, as D&D uses the term, are almost always sapient and human-like (hence why 3e referred to them as subtypes of "humanoid.") Things that are not races are, in general, either non-sapient or very non-human-like--and even among them there are some areas that it might be better to not use inherent alignment (such as dragons, which other than physiology, are a bit too much like humans to be comfortable as inherently aligned.)
I don't know, there seems to be a lot of exceptions to the bolded statement: giants are a classic example, as are gith, as sahuagin, as are kua-toa, as are troglodytes, as are thri-keen, as are lycanthropes, etc. And that is me skimming through the MM. Even None of those are any stranger when comparing "human-like" than a cat a PC can play as a tabaxi. Or a tortle. Or a warforged. It's just the tabaxi, tortle and warforged were normalized.
But I hear you loud and clear. None of these should have a predisposed alignment, regardless of whether a player can play them or not.
There are ways around some of this that aren't nearly as problematic and aren't just fig-leaf excuses, too, though as with all of this they require a little thought in use. My oft-mentioned explanation for fiends being Always Evil is one, best used for very supernatural beings. Another is where evil behavior becomes physically reflected in the body of the being. This is best used for beings that are already at least a little non-human-like, such as dragons; e.g. in order for a dragon to have gold scales, it has to have a certain kind of personality and have sustained commitment to certain kinds of action, and falling short of that standard would directly lead to looking like something else. (In effect, it makes these dragons not actually having "race" at all, because their "race" IS in some sense a choice, or a series of choices, whereas "race" is usually understood to not be something a person is capable of choosing for herself.)
I like the dragon idea. It seems you could write an entire page of lore around it, and you are definitely right, it doesn't seem fig-leafy to me. This is what I see DMs do though. So who are we to decide whether it's "a way around" or not a way around? As for me, I don't feel like I should be the judge.
But that is where we differ. You have your opinion, and I have mine.
Regarding your exceptions: It would be nice to have a thread of why (and how) some monsters are evil.

Again, thanks for explaining your view. It is appreciated. And I learned something, which is nice. (About dragons and 3e, which I never played.)

Faolyn

(she/her)
How so? Do you use anything purchased regardless of how it is presented? Or do you change things to your personal vision, taste, and morals?
I'd imagine because it ignores that the original writers are the ones who decided that certain races are Always Evil or Always Good in the first place.

Remove ads