• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General D&D Red Box: Who Is The Warrior?

A WizKids miniature reveals the iconic character's face for the first time.

Screenshot 2024-05-07 at 22.27.52.png

The Dungeons & Dragons Red Box, famously illustrated by Larry Elmore in 1983, featured cover art of a warrior fighting a red dragon. The piece is an iconic part of D&D's history.

WizKids is creating a 50th Anniversary D&D miniatures set for the D&D Icons of the Realms line which includes models based on classic art from the game, such as the AD&D Player's Handbook's famous 'A Paladin In Hell' piece by David Sutherland in 1978, along with various monsters and other iconic images. The set will be available in July 2024.

Screenshot 2024-05-07 at 22.31.00.png

paladininhell.jpg

Amongst the collection is Elmore's dragon-fighting warrior. This character has only ever been seen from behind, and has never been named or identified. However, WizKids’ miniature gives us our first look at them from the front. The warrior is a woman; the view from behind is identical to the original art, while the view from the front--the first time the character's face has ever been seen--is, as WizKids told ComicBook.com, "purposefully and clearly" a woman. This will be one of 10 secret rare miniatures included in the D&D Icons of the Realms: 50th Anniversary booster boxes.

redboxwarriormini.png

s-l1600.jpg

The original artist, Larry Elmore, says otherwise. (Update—the linked post has since been edited).

It's a man!

Gary didn't know what he wanted, all he wanted was something simple that would jump out at you. He wanted a male warrior. If it was a woman, you would know it for I'm pretty famous for painting women.

There was never a question in all these years about the male warrior.

No one thought it was a female warrior. "Whoever thought it was a female warrior is quite crazy and do not know what they are talking about."

This is stupid. I painted it, I should know.
- Larry Elmore​

Whether or not Elmore's intent was for the character to be a man, it seems that officially she's a woman. Either way, it's an awesome miniature. And for those who love the art, you can buy a print from Larry Elmore's official website.

Jahydin

Hero
Before you saw this article were you eagerly anticipating a male version of the character from the red box set in WizKid's 50th Anniversary Icons of the Realms booster sets?
After reading the article I was bummed that I could have had the actual character and dragon from the iconic picture because it does mean a lot to me.
And do you feel 'excluded'?
Well yeah...
And they say the 'leftists' are the 'snowflakes'.

I think we've clearly identified the snowflakes, and it's the folks who were so triggered that somebody made a miniature of a girl that they had to bang our their hyperbolic objections on the internet for all to see.

Give me a break.
Fellow lifetime "leftist" here. 👋

Honestly surprised you feel so strongly about me wishing there were two versions. One to represent the original vision and the other the alt.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
After reading the article I was bummed that I could have had the actual character and dragon from the iconic picture because it does mean a lot to me.
You've changed your tune quite rapidly there. That's a quick step-back from "looking forward to having the actual character in the 50th celebration set".

So, to clarify, at what point were you "looking forward to having the actual character in the 50th celebration set" (your words)?

Before you read the article when you had no idea such a thing was in the making? Or after you read the article when you knew exactly what was in the making?

Honestly?

Honestly surprised you feel so strongly about me wishing there were two versions. One to represent the original vision and the other the alt.

I've scanned back and I don't see you saying that. Could you show me? Or are you trying to gaslight me? But to be clear, even if you have somewhere deep in this thread, I replied to what I replied to, no more or no less.

To be very clear, I do not feel anything at all about you "wishing there were two versions".

JEB

Legend
I've scanned back and I don't see you saying that. Could you show me? Or are you trying to gaslight me?

Leave it to WotC to turn a perfectly fun, one-off, "hehe" alternative take into a full-blown delusional retcon.

All they had to do was make a model of the actual character along with the alternative and this would be a complete non-issue. Would have been a fun and inclusive way of tying the two fanbases together IMO.

TSR D&D art was 100% built around the male gaze.
While I agree with your sentiment here, this is incorrect. Publishers back then, especially female oriented magazines such as Cosmopolitan, Vogue, Mademoiselle, Teen, etc. all had scantily clad women on their covers. There were no men buying those magazines back then. Men were buying Muscle and Fitness, which coincidentally, had a bunch of 3/4 naked men on the cover. The Male Gaze is not a Male Gaze. It has been proven over and over - it is a human gaze. And marketing back then tried to take advantage of it. Everything from album covers to teen posters to movies - it all used this model - TSR included.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Well yeah...
YOU feel excluded? How do you think women have felt for much of D&D’s history? At least you had this piece of art speaking to you, INCLUDING you, for FORTY YEARS. And now someone has produced a mini interpreting the character as female. The GALL of them, right?

You’re not being excluded. You’re just finally being asked to MAKE ROOM for women gamers and are acting hurt by that because you’re no longer the sole focus. Privilege, people, it’s a hell of a drug.

Remove ads

Remove ads