• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Retro-clones

GuJiaXian

Explorer
For some reason, over the past week or so I've had a real itch to play "classic" D&D. By way of explanation, the bulk of my pre-3.X experience with the game has been via video games (ala Baldur's Gate and such). Therefore, I'm simply not as familiar with exactly which edition or products I actually want.

What I'm looking for is a D&D/AD&D game (could be actual D&D or a retro-clone). I don't think I want to go back to the days where dwarf and elf were classes, nor do I want the version of the game where demihumans were limited in how many levels they can gain.

I guess what I DO want is a version of D&D where magic item acquisition and combat isn't based on a convoluted mathematical formula, where the DM has to give out magic items at a prescribed pace to keep up with the CR/level of the monsters. I want a version of the game where the mechanics (not just the DM's imagination) supports a world where magic is something to wonder at and 1st-level PCs are heroes-in-training, not mighty heroes in their own right.

Yes, I know that's vague and I suppose I'm not 100% sure what I want, but that's because I'm not as familiar with the products or options. Please help me out here--I'm open to both the retro-clones (free or otherwise) as well as specific classic D&D products.

Aus_Snow

First Post
It sounds like Basic Fantasy (or BFRPG) could be just the thing. It avoids the negatives you mentioned, as well as having (for example) AC being higher = better.

edit: "Demihumans" are limited in BFRPG, as to what classes they can take at all, but not wrt levels, per se. Then again (IMO) all the classic combinations are possible, and then some, so it mightn't be a big deal anyway.

GuJiaXian

Explorer
It sounds like Basic Fantasy (or BFRPG) could be just the thing. It avoids the negatives you mentioned, as well as having (for example) AC being higher = better.

edit: "Demihumans" are limited in BFRPG, as to what classes they can take at all, but not wrt levels, per se. Then again (IMO) all the classic combinations are possible, and then some, so it mightn't be a big deal anyway.

Is Basic Fantasy compatible with old D&D products? I don't plan on dropping tons of cash on this, but I would love to have the cross-compatibility (given the sheer number of books, monsters, modules, etc.).

Aus_Snow

First Post
Is Basic Fantasy compatible with old D&D products? I don't plan on dropping tons of cash on this, but I would love to have the cross-compatibility (given the sheer number of books, monsters, modules, etc.).
Very. I mean, with any slightly different systems, there will be some amount of conversion (whether beforehand, or "on the fly") required - there's no getting around that.*

Well, except if you don't mind getting a few things "wrong" (i.e., imprecise), in which case, you can probably use most old D&D stuff, without any conversion.

Hm. Perhaps you'd need to flip AC, that kind of thing. Nothing else springs to mind as essential, however.

So, it depends how accurate you want it all to be. IOW, how much that even matters in the first place. This might be totally irrelevant, but I've converted old D&D modules on the fly, to another system altogether. And that wasn't hard. But of course, YMMV - I'm very familiar with said system, so. . .

* Like, say, 3e <-> Pathfinder, or 4e <-> Essentials, AD&D 1e <-> AD&D 2e, etc., etc.

edit: All (or most) of the "retro-clones" are free downloads, as well as being available for cheap, as hard copy. So, my advice is, check them out! :)

Last edited:

GuJiaXian

Explorer
Aus, that's the answer I was looking for. I don't mind doing easy stuff like swapping ACs or whatever.

OOC, is BFRPG more like AD&D 1e or AD&D 2e?

Aus_Snow

First Post
is BFRPG more like AD&D 1e or AD&D 2e?
It's a bit of a mongrel, really. Or "hybrid" might sound nicer. :hmm:

It doesn't really have much of the complexity that AD&D brought to the mix, if any. TBH, I'm going on memory here, so. . . ;)

But given the name (Basic Fantasy), and my recollections - such as they are! - I'd put money on BD&D being the core inspiration. Kinda.

Festivus

First Post
I found that with BFRPG it was easier for me to convert from a 3.x adventure to it than an older edition game. I can convert on the fly 3.x adventures. I seem to recall having to put a little more thought into the older edition games.

I tend to think of Basic Fantasy RPG as a modernized version of the old B/X series... it is super easy to learn and play.

I highly recommend it for a retro clone.

delericho

Legend
What I'm looking for is a D&D/AD&D game (could be actual D&D or a retro-clone). I don't think I want to go back to the days where dwarf and elf were classes, nor do I want the version of the game where demihumans were limited in how many levels they can gain.

Tricky. BECMI D&D (Labyrinth Lord) has race-as-class. AD&D 1st Edition (OSRIC) and 2nd Edition both had level limits for demihumans.

I guess what I DO want is a version of D&D where magic item acquisition and combat isn't based on a convoluted mathematical formula, where the DM has to give out magic items at a prescribed pace to keep up with the CR/level of the monsters. I want a version of the game where the mechanics (not just the DM's imagination) supports a world where magic is something to wonder at and 1st-level PCs are heroes-in-training, not mighty heroes in their own right.

How about a radical suggestion?

Go with D&D 3.0. Require players to roll their stats using 4d6-drop-lowest-in-order.

And roll up all treasures using the tables from the DMG. (You'll need to ban/tightly restrict the purchase/sale of magic items... and maybe the item creation feats as well. Simply banning Craft Wondrous Item might be enough.)

This has several advantages:

3.0 is a bit simpler than 3.5e, especially if you stick (close) to the core rules only. Combat rolls are fairly simple, and certainly easier than the older THAC0 system (or its table-based equivalents). 1st level characters are actually quite fragile, and certainly fit that heroes-in-training vibe. And whil you'll find that treasure acquisition is fairly close to 'right' according to the CR/wealth-by-level system, rolling it up will have a very different feel to just placing the "big six" items at appropriate points.

Corathon

First Post
You could use a retro-clone such as Osric or Swords and Wizardry that has races that are distinct from clases and ignore the demi-human level limits. The older games are meant to be fiddled with.

Remove ads