• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Retro-clones

GuJiaXian

Explorer
I did see that, and I grabbed a number of the "rules supplements." To me, though, adventures/modules tend to be very hit-or-miss. Can anyone vouch for what's there?

Remathilis

Legend
Tossing my copper into the pool in support of BFRPG. I tended to use it as an update/revision of BECMI and run a lot of classic D&D modules with it. Of the free ones on their site, I've read (but not run) Morgansfort, and that seemed solid.

Aurumvorax

First Post
I just started skimming FG&G. Now, as I stated before, short of AD&D video games, I really don't know the AD&D rules (just the basics introduced by the games, but not the dice-rolling the computer does in the background). Is it safe to assume that your FG&G is, for all intents and purposes, AD&D 2E? That is, the Strength chart on page 9 corresponds directly to what I'd find in the actual AD&D 2E PHB?

Yes. FG&G is 2e but reformatted and rewritten to comply with the OGL much like OSRIC is to 1e. I decided to leave out the optional rules, though, so aside from fighters there's no weapon specialization or proficiency points. I'm currently writing that system now but I wanted the core product to contain only the main rules and none of the bloat that came later and turned the game into 2.5.

GuJiaXian

Explorer
Yes. FG&G is 2e but reformatted and rewritten to comply with the OGL much like OSRIC is to 1e. I decided to leave out the optional rules, though, so aside from fighters there's no weapon specialization or proficiency points. I'm currently writing that system now but I wanted the core product to contain only the main rules and none of the bloat that came later and turned the game into 2.5.

I read over this document as well. While I really like the plain simplicity of BFRPG (especially thinking about my almost-5-year-old), I do like FG&G as well.

I did notice that your rules document is pretty bare-bones; that is, no table of contents, no index, no real formatting...is that something you'd want eventual help with? You see, I'm an editor by day (by night I just sleep), so it's something I might be able to help with.

Aurumvorax

First Post
I read over this document as well. While I really like the plain simplicity of BFRPG (especially thinking about my almost-5-year-old), I do like FG&G as well.

I did notice that your rules document is pretty bare-bones; that is, no table of contents, no index, no real formatting...is that something you'd want eventual help with? You see, I'm an editor by day (by night I just sleep), so it's something I might be able to help with.

Most definitely. I'm trying to learn Adobe InDesign (to little success) and could use all the help I can get. I'm still maybe 1 or 2 months away from finishing the document and scouring it for OGC errors, but I'll pm you when that time comes. There'll be free print version for you (and anything else you want).

Last edited:

GuJiaXian

Explorer
Most definitely. I'm trying to learn Adobe InDesign (to little success) and could use all the help I can get. I'm still maybe 1 or 2 months away from finishing the document and scouring it for OGC errors, but I'll pm you when that time comes. There'll be free print version for you (and anything else you want).

I'd be glad to help. I won't make promises about layout work (I'm more familiar with Quark than InDesign), but when it comes to copyediting, I'm your guy.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads